All things Racist...USA edition (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

Are you saying that some conversation topics are taboo? Let me know which ones and why. I do not want to offend anyone.
    Are we supposed to tow the line regarding some topics and not deviate from the proper dogma?

I think people should say whatever they want whenever they want and people should judge them by their words/actions.

By all means, proceed.

I think people should say whatever they want whenever they want and people should judge them by their words/actions.

By all means, proceed.
    For crying out loud indirectly yelling racism by quoting a racist is not proper form for a gentleman or a lady. Let's have an interchange of ideas without this silliness.

For crying out loud indirectly yelling racism by quoting a racist is not proper form for a gentleman or a lady. Let's have an interchange of ideas without this silliness.

We entered well into the silly zone on June 22. All that’s left is the pointing and laughing at this point.

Edit: And I never claimed to be a gentleman. Unlike some others on this thread I’m honest about who I am, and I’m certainly no gentleman.

We are one of the most religious first-world nations and seem to not be getting things very right now. This idea that religion is a panacea for race relations or culture/society is a myth.

I'll respectfully disagree. What you say is true for more than a few religious organizations, but there are also more than a few where race relations and a healthier culture/society are central core values. At least that's been my first hand experience with churches I've been a part of, as well as my own ministry in the past.

I'll respectfully disagree. What you say is true for more than a few religious organizations, but there are also more than a few where race relations and a healthier culture/society are central core values. At least that's been my first hand experience with churches I've been a part of, as well as my own ministry in the past.
    I’m not talking about individual churches, I’m talking about religion (and the religious) in America. We’re one of the most religious first-world counties and we lag behind most others in matters of race relations, “culture” and “society”, taking care of our own, human rights, and many other societal ills. Religion does not grant people or a society/country some great advantage in those areas.

It's also important to note only about 17% of people in prison listed themselves as not religious. Having grown up in an incredibly violent poor black neighborhood I can tell you one of the worst beatings I took at school (Valena C Jones) was when I said I was an atheist. People in my neighborhood were fiercely religious while robbing, stealing, and slinging drugs. Drive around the hood and see how many pimps and dealers are on the corner with giant gold crosses on. Don't talk bad about their Mamas or Jesus and you'd usually be OK.

The same can be said about my wife's home turf, which is poor and white. Very religious. Most of them have to say their prayers with meth mouth though.

The idea that being religious will fix society's ills is incredibly misguided. I don't think there's anything wrong with religion, but it's not as much of a help as people pretend. There are numerous far larger contributing factors.

It's also important to note only about 17% of people in prison listed themselves as not religious. Having grown up in an incredibly violent poor black neighborhood I can tell you one of the worst beatings I took at school (Valena C Jones) was when I said I was an atheist. People in my neighborhood were fiercely religious while robbing, stealing, and slinging drugs. Drive around the hood and see how many pimps and dealers are on the corner with giant gold crosses on. Don't talk bad about their Mamas or Jesus and you'd usually be OK.

The same can be said about my wife's home turf, which is poor and white. Very religious. Most of them have to say their prayers with meth mouth though.

The idea that being religious will fix society's ills is incredibly misguided. I don't think there's anything wrong with religion, but it's not as much of a help as people pretend. There are numerous far larger contributing factors.
    If as many people had the same respect for fellow humans as they profess to have for God, we'd probably be in a better place.

I'm not going to argue that religion in general is going to fix society's ills (I think it could, but that's just me). But, my personal experience with religion is probably outside what maybe others here have experienced. Not that it makes me any better than anyone else, but I don't smoke, seldom drink, never cheated on my wife of 24 years with another woman (I've been tempted more than a few times), and generally mind my own business and try to be a good neighbor to whoever happens to be my neighbor. I think my faith has been central to the joy and happiness I experience in life, and keeps me going when things are tough.

Ultimately, I can't make anyone do anything, but I can live life the best way I know how in spite of my own vices and shortcomings. I've always viewed my own life as a work in progress.

Fwiw, I've seen people both with and without faith experience the full gamut that is life. I don't know what makes people do what they do, I have my own theories, but that's for another thread another day.

Last edited:
    I’m not talking about individual churches, I’m talking about religion (and the religious) in America. We’re one of the most religious first-world counties and we lag behind most others in matters of race relations, “culture” and “society”, taking care of our own, human rights, and many other societal ills. Religion does not grant people or a society/country some great advantage in those areas.

Maybe not, but those ills have always been something that matters to me, not only as a man, but as someone who has faith. But yeah, it's certainly personal to me. I can't fix warped attitudes of people who are religious and don't live at all what their religion teaches. I get it, and I certainly don't think the broader church has done enough to address her own shortcomings, but we work with what we can I guess.

If as many people had the same respect for fellow humans as they profess to have for God, we'd probably be in a better place.

I'd argue that people not having respect for their fellow humans are disrespecting the God they supposedly love.

Makes me wonder if that love is even real when Scripture speaks clearly as to how to treat others.

Maybe not, but those ills have always been something that matters to me, not only as a man, but as someone who has faith. But yeah, it's certainly personal to me. I can't fix warped attitudes of people who are religious and don't live at all what their religion teaches. I get it, and I certainly don't think the broader church has done enough to address her own shortcomings, but we work with what we can I guess.
    I was a born-again Christian who only became a Christian in high school — I wasn’t raised religious. I learned a lot from my time as a Christian but ultimately questioned too much and found the answers lacking for what was being taught and the idea of god(s) didn’t make sense after a while. However, the central core of what was Jesus’ message resounded then and still today — love your fellow man, help the poor sick and infirm, do good thing to those who need good things the most, live altruistically. If more religious people — heck if more people religious or not — took those words to heart, we’d be better off today, but I feel that isn’t the case. I’m always glad when I meet anyone who lives by those values, religious or not.

I'd argue that people not having respect for their fellow humans are disrespecting the God they supposedly love.

Makes me wonder if that love is even real when Scripture speaks clearly as to how to treat others.
    I've discussed this on SR and come to realize most people think you have to EARN respect. So how can we treat fellow humans with respect if they haven't earned it yet?

I've discussed this on SR and come to realize most people think you have to EARN respect. So how can we treat fellow humans with respect if they haven't earned it yet?

I've had this discussion recently with a guy I know. He was saying the same thing, yet he is very big in the Baptist church here. I asked him to point out to me where in the New Testament does it say love your neighbor as yourself, so long as they earn respect. That left him speechless and I just shook my head and walked away.

I always operate from a position of respecting someone until they show that my respect shouldn't be given. In my last job before I left to go work in Afghanistan, I used to always strike up a conversation with the janitor of my office floor. Turns out he was a huge football fan, so we talked about that among other things going on with life, etc. The day I quit he happened to be on the elevator when I got on with some of my stuff from my desk and he asked if I was moving offices. I said that I had quit and was going to work overseas, and his face got a somber look. He told me I was the only one on my floor and one of only a few in the whole building who would actually talk to him and he told me he was going to miss that. To me, that was as big a compliment as any award I received in the Marines or anything since.

No, I'm male. I'm just not a gentleman. The board would censor it if I said what I am. ;)
    200w (1).gif

How can I not have a good day now?

The word respect has different meanings/connotations, so before the question of whether respect has to be earned or not, the meaning/connotation of respect needs to be defined.

Is it admiration/high regard?
    Is it refrain from interference?
    Is it detail/reference?

I'd say, the overwhelming majority of people would agree that admiration/high regard has to be earned, whereas something like respecting the speed limit has nothing to do with the question; I don't think that anyone would admire speed limits or hold them in high regard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom