All things Racist...USA edition (8 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Reaction score
I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

I was born outside the USA, south of the border. I do not want to give away the nationality. I have been here for nearly 50 years and have seen massive positive changes. I am saddened by the despair I see in some segments of America. The happiest Latin Americans I have encountered are the ones that integrate and intermarry into the USA.
Just out of curiosity, being born south of the border doesn't mean you are ethnic latin american. Maybe you won't answer this but are you ethnic south of the boarder or just caucasian born south of the boarder?

Just out of curiosity, being born south of the border doesn't mean you are ethnic latin american. Maybe you won't answer this but are you ethnic south of the boarder or just caucasian born south of the boarder?
I look European, yes. I also have more education than the average immigrant from South America. I encountered less discrimination, but I had several unsavory episodes mostly because of my Spanish surname. 35 years ago I almost did not get a mortgage loan because the secretary set aside my application when she saw the name. In that area Latins were considered high risk so they did not even look at my application until I called them.

Do you think that still happens today?

Edit: I sure would like to know how that conversation went. was it " i know you think i'm mexican, but i'm really white" "thank you, sir, you are now approved" ?

Edit: I sure would like to know how that conversation went. was it " i know you think i'm mexican, but i'm really white" "thank you, sir, you are now approved" ?
I am not Mexican.

I called and inquired about the delay. They said they had misplaced the application. I consulted with a realtor that told me they were not keen on lending to Hispanics because they felt they could default on the loan. My realtor called them and told them I was overqualified for the loan and got approved. Surname racism is real.

Discrimination is real, no need to prove it exist every single day. After that I purchased additional homes and never had an issue. The problem here was the secretary who decided on her own to set my application aside.

I had several issues that were similar way back when. However, nothing for the last 25 years. I discussed this issue with a Polish friend who advised me to change my last name to make it Anglo. The Polish guys said his ancestors had to change the surname to avoid discrimination.

The happiest Latin Americans I have encountered are the ones that integrate and intermarry into the USA.

You make some odd/strange statements from time to time and this is definitely one of them. I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Where do you "encounter" these Latin Americans? Are the Latin Americans that you have encountered that are married to other Latin Americans unhappy? How do you determine the level of happiness? How do you determine how much they've integrated? Who do the Latin Americans have to intermarry with to be the happiest?

The correct term is whitexican :hihi:

You make some odd/strange statements from time to time and this is definitely one of them. I don't even know what that's supposed to mean.

Where do you "encounter" these Latin Americans? Are the Latin Americans that you have encountered that are married to other Latin Americans unhappy? How do you determine the level of happiness? How do you determine how much they've integrated? Who do the Latin Americans have to intermarry with to be the happiest?
Immigration to a foreign country is easier if the person immigrating adopts the culture of the host country. That is what I meant to say. That is what my daughters have done. You are correct, that is not directly related to happiness.

Immigration to a foreign country is easier if the person immigrating adopts the culture of the host country. That is what I meant to say.

Andrew Yang got ripped to shreds with this exact viewpoint
==================================

Former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang made a stunning argument in a Washington Post op-ed this week: To combat the recent surge in hate crimes and racism amid the coronavirus pandemic, he suggested, Asian Americans should showcase just how American they are through acts of patriotism and community.

Effectively, he wrote, Asians can help end racism by being the best citizens we can be:

We Asian Americans need to embrace and show our American-ness in ways we never have before. We need to step up, help our neighbors, donate gear, vote, wear red white and blue, volunteer, fund aid organizations, and do everything in our power to accelerate the end of this crisis. We should show without a shadow of a doubt that we are Americans who will do our part for our country in this time of need.
Yang, who came to this conclusion after an unsettling experience of his own, appears to believe that contributing civically in a visible way is the best approach to respond to acts of prejudice.

While it’s entirely fair for him to want to confront such biases in his own way, the application of his reasoning is where things get concerning. There’s certainly a worthwhile case to be made that everyone, regardless of their background, should be stepping up and helping their communities during this devastating crisis. But Yang’s point is specifically aimed at Asian Americans.

In fact, he suggests that Asian Americans, as a group, need to demonstrate that they are positive contributors to society just to be treated as equals. It’s a deeply flawed argument that puts the onus on Asian Americans to make themselves more palatable to those who would discriminate against them. And it’s also among the latest to advance a misguided theory of “respectability politics.”.

As Damon Young explained in the Root, “respectability politics” is an idea that picked up momentum in the 1990s and has been used to urge black Americans to dress or behave in a certain way as a means to neutralize racism. “It’s generally defined as what happens when minority and/or marginalized groups are told (or teach themselves) that in order to receive better treatment from the group in power, they must behave better,” Young writes.

Yang’s argument pushes for action in response to such incidents, but in the wrong way. Suggesting that Asian Americans “need to show their American-ness” places the pressure for combating racism on people of color — and echoes a longtime pattern of doing so.

Respectability politics has always put the pressure on people of color to address racism​

The issue with arguments that favor respectability politics is that they ignore how racism works: They argue that people of color need to change in order to achieve baseline equality in how they are treated, when the issue is that the people perpetuating these biases are the ones who should change their behavior so that they aren’t, well, racist............

Last edited:
Andrew Yang got ripped to shreds with this exact viewpoint
==================================

Former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang made a stunning argument in a Washington Post op-ed this week: To combat the recent surge in hate crimes and racism amid the coronavirus pandemic, he suggested, Asian Americans should showcase just how American they are through acts of patriotism and community.

Effectively, he wrote, Asians can help end racism by being the best citizens we can be:

Yang, who came to this conclusion after an unsettling experience of his own, appears to believe that contributing civically in a visible way is the best approach to respond to acts of prejudice.

While it’s entirely fair for him to want to confront such biases in his own way, the application of his reasoning is where things get concerning. There’s certainly a worthwhile case to be made that everyone, regardless of their background, should be stepping up and helping their communities during this devastating crisis. But Yang’s point is specifically aimed at Asian Americans.

In fact, he suggests that Asian Americans, as a group, need to demonstrate that they are positive contributors to society just to be treated as equals. It’s a deeply flawed argument that puts the onus on Asian Americans to make themselves more palatable to those who would discriminate against them. And it’s also among the latest to advance a misguided theory of “respectability politics.”.

As Damon Young explained in the Root, “respectability politics” is an idea that picked up momentum in the 1990s and has been used to urge black Americans to dress or behave in a certain way as a means to neutralize racism. “It’s generally defined as what happens when minority and/or marginalized groups are told (or teach themselves) that in order to receive better treatment from the group in power, they must behave better,” Young writes................

Control what you can control. I don't see an issue with what Yang said.

Don't let ignorance define the reaction, get out there and be a positive force and things will work out.

But you still didn't answer the question. are you Latino, or just born in Latin america. because there is a difference.
For example, if two people from Portugal live in Brazil their whole lives and become citizens, and have a child, that doesn't really make the child latino.

Control what you can control. I don't see an issue with what Yang said.

Don't let ignorance define the reaction, get out there and be a positive force and things will work out.

I understand the point Yang was making but I also understand the backlash against it

Asian Americans who are 5th generation Americans have to "show their American-ness in ways they never have before"?

In ways that 5th generation white Americans who are terrible, awful people don't have to?

In ways that 1st generation citizens with white British parents don't have to? Hell, in ways that white immigrants from Britain don't have to?

I've posted the old saying before

"Have to be twice as good to go half as far"

I have to be the most ideal, super, most bestest "American" American and then maybe I'll be treated like a human being?

I see why people may take offense to that

Racists in my family would agree with Yang, “if those people were just better they wouldn’t be less than us”.

If a group went out of their way to show racists that they deserve to be treated as equally, at best, it would just move them up from being attacked to being pitied by the racists. More likely, it would just make the racists think they were getting uppity and needed to be taken down a notch like they did in Tulsa.

It really just pits all the non white races against each other in a competition to not be the target of the white supremacists.

But you still didn't answer the question. are you Latino, or just born in Latin america. because there is a difference.
For example, if two people from Portugal live in Brazil their whole lives and become citizens, and have a child, that doesn't really make the child latino.
Can I ask why it matters so much? Why do these arbitrary boxes mean so much? Will you take his opinion in a different way if he 'latino'?

Yang is correct. World population migration from the beginning of time will tell you that.

Immigration to a foreign country is easier if the person immigrating adopts the culture of the host country. That is what I meant to say. That is what my daughters have done. You are correct, that is not directly related to happiness.

I always find comments about adopting American culture funny. American culture is vastly different by region, race, religion, and economic status. Different combinations of those things output massive cultural differences.

There is no American culture. That term is just code for "act like a suburban white dude".

I tend to think people should keep their identity and culture as much as possible. I like that we're all different and unique and I feel like I'm a better person for it when I learn a little about what their lives are like. If we all assimilated and behaved a certain way, life would be boring imo.

The only caveat I have to add to all that is I think that immigrants should learn the language of the country they move to, more for communication purposes than anything else.

Is 'American culture' so readily definable?

Especially when so many Republicans are busy abandoning the most identifiable aspect of American culture, which to me is the right to vote and thereby participate in our government.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
Top Bottom