All things Racist...USA edition (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    I was looking for a place to put this so we could discuss but didn't really find a place that worked so I created this thread so we can all place articles, experiences, videos and examples of racism in the USA.

This is one that happened this week. The lady even called and filed a complaint on the officer. This officer also chose to wear the body cam (apparently, LA doesn't require this yet). This exchange wasn't necessarily racist IMO until she started with the "mexican racist...you will never be white, like you want" garbage. That is when it turned racist IMO

All the murderer and other insults, I think are just a by product of CRT and ACAB rhetoric that is very common on the radical left and sadly is being brought to mainstream in this country.

Another point that I think is worth mentioning is she is a teacher and the sense of entitlement she feels is mind blowing.

https://news.yahoo.com/black-teacher-berates-latino-la-221235341.html

Poor analogy. If there isn't any evidence that it happened, why should we think it happened?

The analogy is not about belief, but interpreting evidence and/or the lack thereof. If I do something and there is no evidence I did it, does the lack of evidence show that I didn't do it?

There is also a distinction between believing something happened/did not happen, and believing in the possibility of something happening/not happening.

If a random person you have never met wearing jeans and a t-shirt walks to you at the supermarket and tells you "I am a doctor", then walks away and you never see or talk to this person again, do you believe that person is a doctor, or do you think that person is lying?

Evidence of systemic and structural racism that Republicans claim doesn't exist.

===========

Jackson’s water crisis has been rightly described as a “climate justice wake-up call.” Decades of neglect led to a deteriorating water system that reached a breaking point this summer. When torrential rains caused a flood near Jackson’s largest water treatment plant in August — coming on top of staffing shortages and equipment failures — a major pump was damaged, a chemical imbalance was created, and the plant shut down. With that, the city of more than 160,000 residents lost access to safe drinking water. Though a boil-water advisory was recently lifted after six weeks, the crisis is far from over. Jackson has faced recurring disruptions, and the underlying causes have not been addressed.

Racism is one of those causes. Jackson’s population is 83 percent Black, and communities of color have long been likelier victims of drinking water violations in the United States. When Jackson’s water shut off, the water in nearby majority-White suburbs stayed on and stayed clean, because those suburbs — whose populations and coffers have swelled because of white flight from the city — are served by newer, better water treatment plants. “You cannot define structural racism any more clearly than the infrastructure management in this country,” says Brookings Institution fellow Andre Perry. Differing investments in local water systems “literally lay the groundwork for racial disparities.”

What’s happening in Jackson echoes previous disasters in Flint, Mich., and Newark and is accompanied by other ongoing crises that disproportionately affect people of color. A recent investigation of Chicago’s tap water found that 1 in 20 homes tested had lead levels above the federal limit — with the highest found in majority-Black and -Hispanic neighborhoods. And in Nevada, an increasing number of Native American households lack any indoor plumbing.

Americans are living on the carcass of an infrastructure — built during the New Deal by the Works Progress Administration — that has never gotten the reinvestment it needs. The American Society of Civil Engineers gives America’s drinking water infrastructure a C-minus. And climate-driven extreme weather will put it through its toughest test.

Yet our leaders consistently fail to properly acknowledge this emergency. Instead, we’ve seen craven politicians duck responsibility and attempt to score political points at the expense of constituents and mayors desperate for resources. Former Michigan governor Rick Snyder has been charged with willful neglect of duty for redirecting Flint’s water supply to the Flint River without proper treatment — the catalyst for that city’s crisis. And while residents of Jackson used bottled water to bathe their children, Gov. Tate Reeves (R) joked to a crowd elsewhere in Mississippi that it was, “as always, a great day to not be in Jackson.”

===============

Fresh allegations of racist slurs being used at a BYU athletic event have emerged, a month after similar claims involving the Duke volleyball team.

Five women’s soccer players from a visiting team told the Guardian they heard the N-word being directed at them and their teammates from the crowd during a game at BYU in 2021. Players had knelt for the national anthem to protest racial and social injustice when they say they heard shouts from the crowd.

“I just remember that there was like a consistent chant of ‘stand up, N-words’ during the anthem and right after,” one of the players told the Guardian. “And when brought to the attention of the BYU coaching staff there was no real response or sense of, like, alarm.”

She added: “I felt disappointed but not surprised. Backlash for kneeling was not new for our group but to hear that in person was shocking. I think both the fans and coaching staff knew we wouldn’t cancel the game after the incident, which once again shows this could be part of a bigger cultural issue within BYU as an institution.”

Four of her teammates independently confirmed to the Guardian that they also heard the chants.

A sixth member of the team did not hear the chants but says the BYU coach was told about them. The coach “seemed shocked and did ask” that “another announcement be made about how fans should behave”. The sixth team member said that an announcement warning fans about their behavior was then made but “nothing else was done to my knowledge”. Because players on the visiting team “wanted to continue with the game”, it went ahead.........

A northern California high school canceled the rest of its football season after the team enacted a racist and offensive prank.

The football team at River Valley High School in Yuba City, Calif., shared a video where team members appeared to act out a "slave auction" with Black teammates.

Yuba City Unified School District Superintendent Doreen Osumni provided a statement to CNN and CBS News calling the prank "deeply offensive." USA TODAY reached out to the school district for comment Monday morning but did not immediately hear back.

"Re-enacting a slave sale as a prank tells us that we have a great deal of work to do with our students so they can distinguish between intent and impact," Osumni wrote. "They may have thought this skit was funny but it is not; it is unacceptable and requires us to look honestly and deeply at issues of systemic racism."..........

Didn’t the same thing happen last year? Is this a new one? 😳

A northern California high school canceled the rest of its football season after the team enacted a racist and offensive prank.

The football team at River Valley High School in Yuba City, Calif., shared a video where team members appeared to act out a "slave auction" with Black teammates.

Yuba City Unified School District Superintendent Doreen Osumni provided a statement to CNN and CBS News calling the prank "deeply offensive." USA TODAY reached out to the school district for comment Monday morning but did not immediately hear back.

"Re-enacting a slave sale as a prank tells us that we have a great deal of work to do with our students so they can distinguish between intent and impact," Osumni wrote. "They may have thought this skit was funny but it is not; it is unacceptable and requires us to look honestly and deeply at issues of systemic racism."..........

Sounds remarkably similar to something that is looked on as okay: the NFL combine. A bunch of rich, primarily white, men looking at people to in essence buy. Yes, they are paid but it just seems a little freaky to me.

Sounds remarkably similar to something that is looked on as okay: the NFL combine. A bunch of rich, primarily white, men looking at people to in essence buy. Yes, they are paid but it just seems a little freaky to me.
    A comparison that’s been made before

I've heard that before, but that is a rather silly comparison.

First of all, and probably most importantly, none of the prospects attending the NFL combine are forced to be there; they are free to decline the invitation to the combine, and do something else with their lives. Same goes for school pro-days, they don't have to be there.

They don't arrive off a boat in chains, they arrive in limos provided by their agents, some of them even already with big money in their pockets because of merchandising deals to wear certain shoes or certain hat.

A business contract is not an invoice or title, it is a record of a work/employment agreement between two or more parties which only applies to the business environment; a player signing a contract is not "in essence buying" the player. And again, they are free to decline the contract and do something else with their lives.

Slaves were not wined and dined in fine restaurants by land owners who wanted to buy them.

Slaves didn't have agents trying to get as much money and as many perks as they could from land owners.

So, yeah, silly comparison.

……But reports of racism in college sports are not confined to BYU. And the stories are far from new. In 1983, Georgetown’s Patrick Ewing infamously faced racist mockery when a banana peel was thrown at him during a game, and he was also subjected to racist signs targeting his intellect.

After receiving MVP honors at the 1960 Cotton Bowl, the first African-American Heisman Trophy winner Ernie Davis could not accept his own award at a post-game banquet because it was held in a segregated facility.

And in 1961, the UCLA basketball team faced such intense racist hecklingfrom white fans that coach John Wooden did not field any of his Black players in a second game.

More recently, in 2014, current NBA player and former Oklahoma State star Marcus Smart shoved a Texas Tech fan, saying the fan called him a racist slur.

That same year, Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner detailed the numerous instances of racism that he faced during his time with the Wolverines, including being “called the N-word” many times.

And former New York Knicks star Jeremy Lin says the racist abuse he was subjected to in college was worse than anything he experienced in the NBA, highlighting incidents at Cornell, Georgetown, Yale, and Vermont.

The long, dismal list goes on. In 2018, Missouri’s AD accused South Carolina fans of spitting at and making racist slurs against Missouri’s women’s basketball team.

After Florida State’s loss to rival Florida in November 2019, a man posted an image on Facebook of FSU coach Willie Taggart, the first Black head football coach in the university’s history, being lynched.

In January of that same year, Black basketball players from Labette Community College were subject to “monkey noises and crow caws” when they visited North Arkansas College.

Earlier this year, a Wisconsin fan made anti-Asian racist gestures in Northwestern at a men’s basketball game between the schools and was ejected.

On another occasion this year, an Iowa fan shouted a racist slur at a Wisconsin wrestler.

“Any underrepresented minority that’s played college athletics or has been in a competitive space has faced something thrown at them that’s racially/sexually charged,” says Anderson, the former Vanderbilt football player.

Indeed, so widespread is such abuse that ignoring it is seen as part of a college athlete’s job. Danté Stewart, a former Clemson football player and author of Shoutin’ in the Fire says that “we are taught to block it all out when we are on the field … our race and gender or sexuality are erased under the guise of ‘one team, one dream.’”

The problem seems to have become worse in the last few years as athletes started to protest against racial and social injustice, often by kneeling during the national anthem before games……..

……But reports of racism in college sports are not confined to BYU. And the stories are far from new. In 1983, Georgetown’s Patrick Ewing infamously faced racist mockery when a banana peel was thrown at him during a game, and he was also subjected to racist signs targeting his intellect.

After receiving MVP honors at the 1960 Cotton Bowl, the first African-American Heisman Trophy winner Ernie Davis could not accept his own award at a post-game banquet because it was held in a segregated facility.

And in 1961, the UCLA basketball team faced such intense racist hecklingfrom white fans that coach John Wooden did not field any of his Black players in a second game.

More recently, in 2014, current NBA player and former Oklahoma State star Marcus Smart shoved a Texas Tech fan, saying the fan called him a racist slur.

That same year, Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner detailed the numerous instances of racism that he faced during his time with the Wolverines, including being “called the N-word” many times.

And former New York Knicks star Jeremy Lin says the racist abuse he was subjected to in college was worse than anything he experienced in the NBA, highlighting incidents at Cornell, Georgetown, Yale, and Vermont.

The long, dismal list goes on. In 2018, Missouri’s AD accused South Carolina fans of spitting at and making racist slurs against Missouri’s women’s basketball team.

After Florida State’s loss to rival Florida in November 2019, a man posted an image on Facebook of FSU coach Willie Taggart, the first Black head football coach in the university’s history, being lynched.

In January of that same year, Black basketball players from Labette Community College were subject to “monkey noises and crow caws” when they visited North Arkansas College.

Earlier this year, a Wisconsin fan made anti-Asian racist gestures in Northwestern at a men’s basketball game between the schools and was ejected.

On another occasion this year, an Iowa fan shouted a racist slur at a Wisconsin wrestler.

“Any underrepresented minority that’s played college athletics or has been in a competitive space has faced something thrown at them that’s racially/sexually charged,” says Anderson, the former Vanderbilt football player.

Indeed, so widespread is such abuse that ignoring it is seen as part of a college athlete’s job. Danté Stewart, a former Clemson football player and author of Shoutin’ in the Fire says that “we are taught to block it all out when we are on the field … our race and gender or sexuality are erased under the guise of ‘one team, one dream.’”

The problem seems to have become worse in the last few years as athletes started to protest against racial and social injustice, often by kneeling during the national anthem before games……..

@Farb believes they’re all lying.

Speaking of which, I saw this thread about a Harvard study on the BLM protests, which Farb and other right wingers like to paint as super violent riots, similar to the actually violent insurrection of Jan 6:

She links the study in the last tweet of the thread if anyone wants to see the data.

She links the study in the last tweet of the thread if anyone wants to see the data.
    That's the actual problem. People like @Farb don't want to nor do they need to see the data. They already have their minds made up as to what they are going to lie about to support the narrative they want to spread.

Los Angeles City Council President Nury Martinez is apologizing after making racist remarks toward a fellow council member and his Black child.

“In a moment of intense frustration and anger, I let the situation get the best of me and I hold myself accountable for these comments. For that I am sorry,” Martinez said in a statement to CNN.

The remarks were part of leaked audio that was posted anonymously on Reddit and obtained by The Los Angeles Times. According to the newspaper, the audio details a conversation between Martinez, Councilmembers Gil Cedillo and Kevin de León and Los Angeles County Federation of Labor President Ron Herrera.

Much of the conversation focused on maps proposed by the city’s redistricting commission and the councilmembers’ frustration with them, as well as the need to “ensure that heavily Latino districts did not lose economic assets” in the once-in-a-decade process, according to the Times.

The councilmembers then discussed Councilmember Mike Bonin, a White man. In clips of the leaked audio posted by the Times, Martinez is heard recounting a conversation and says “Bonin thinks he’s f**king Black.”

According to the Times, Martinez says Bonin appeared with his son on a float in a Martin Luther King Jr. Day parade and he “handled his young Black son as though he were an accessory.”

The Times reported that Martinez also said of Bonin’s child, “Parece changuito,” or “He’s like a monkey.”

In the leaked audio, Martinez can be heard speaking about Bonin’s son allegedly misbehaving while at the parade by hanging from a railing of their float, saying “this kid is going to tip us over.”

“They’re raising him like a little White kid,” Martinez said in the audio released by The Times. “I was like, this kid needs a beatdown. Let me take him around the corner and then I’ll bring him back.”.............

The president of Los Angeles City Council resigned on Monday after leaked audio revealed that she made racist remarks about a fellow Democratic politician's Black son.....

The president of Los Angeles City Council resigned on Monday after leaked audio revealed that she made racist remarks about a fellow Democratic politician's Black son.....

Good. There's no room for that.

Imagine if Republicans resigned when they got caught saying racist crap. There'd hardly be any left.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom