All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

We are not discussing Trump.

Did Biden lie, was he misinformed or was he purposely spreading misinformation?
    None of the above. I took the time to explain it before. You don’t know what you’re talking about.

At one time I actually thought you to be a somewhat earnest poster on here who was misinformed. Boy was I wrong.

When I do respond from now on it will just be to point out for anyone else reading that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

Fourth option: if enough people had gotten the vaccine, and the virus hadn't mutated, then the vaccine would have effectively prevented spread.

The vaccine doesn't prevent spread, but herd immunity does. If enough people had gotten the vaccine to the point we reached herd immunity, then the ability for the virus to spread would have been greatly diminished, to the point that it would effectively have prevented the spread. In that regard, it's the same as any other vaccine (polio, measles, etc). It's not that the vaccine prevents 100% of people from getting sick. But if it prevents 90% of people from getting sick, then the virus doesn't run into enough people who ARE vulnerable to continue spreading before the infected person's immune system clears the virus. Ergo, it stops spreading. The vaccine prevents spread.

Unfortunately, too many people were vaccine hesitant which prevented us from getting to herd immunity quickly, and by the time we did reach herd immunity for the 2020 version of the virus, the virus had already mutated to Delta and the original vaccine was not as effective at preventing spread as it would have been for the 2020 version of the virus. It took another two years to get the bivalent vaccine to deal with delta/omicron, and by now it's largely too late to do anything other than take a yearly vaccine a la the flu vaccine.

Basically, if you hadn't been such a birch about a needle meanie, we might have gotten to a point where the vaccine prevented spread. But you were a birch so here we are.

You and all the other vaccine deniers made a self-fulfilling prophecy and then self-fulfilled it. Congrats.
    How many times has this been explained in this thread? At some point we have to all realize that he doesn’t care about anything but spreading lies and trolling.

This is just to set the record straight from all the garbage SFL posted up above:

Salient paragraphs (this is from March 2022, after the genomic research had been done.) Emphasis is mine.

‘Research evidence suggests that SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV originated in bats. SARS-CoV then spread from infected civets to people, while MERS-CoV spreads from infected dromedary camels to people. To date, the origin of SARS-CoV-2 which caused the COVID-19 pandemic has not been identified. The scientific evidence thus far suggests that SARS-CoV-2 likely resulted from viral evolution in nature and jumped to people or through some unidentified animal host. Public health and scientific organizations are engaged in a continued international effort to uncover the origins of SARS-CoV-2, which is essential to preventing future pandemics.’

‘Unfortunately, because the origins of the SARS-CoV-2 have not yet been identified, misleading and false allegations have been made about NIAID-supported research on naturally occurring bat coronaviruses. Specifically, these allegations have targeted research conducted at the Wuhan Institute of Virology in Wuhan, China, funded through a subaward from NIAID grantee EcoHealth Alliance. The naturally occurring bat coronaviruses studied through this subaward were significantly, genetically different from SARS-CoV-2 and, therefore, could not have caused the COVID-19 pandemic. For a detailed, scientific analysis as to why this is the case, please see: SARS-COV-2 and NIAID-Supported Bat Coronavirus Research.’

Fox contributor Lisa Booth ranted on Sunday that the United States isn't all that much better than China when it comes to taking away the freedoms of Americans who refuse to be vaccinated.

Chinese citizens have been protesting as people continue to be quarantined at home, lacking food and medicine. The public has grown angry after the deaths of two children as a result of anti-virus controls restricting their parents from being able to get medical help.

In the United States, Americans can leave their home whether they have the vaccine or not and they're able to do whatever they want regardless of their vaccine status. Similarly, the U.S. has medical assistance that comes to one's home when they dial 9-1-1.

Still, Booth maintained that the U.S. and China are really the same, thanks to liberals.

"Nearly half of Democrats wanted to put people like me, who haven't had a vaccine, in a government camp," said Booth. She went on to complain that she couldn't even go out to dinner at restaurants if she wasn't vaccinated.

"You have Joe Biden, still, purging military heroes who don't want to get a vaccine," said Booth.

It's a mischaracterization of the idea that Biden is purging the anti-vaccine people. The reality is that because soldiers are sent all over the world, they're required to have all vaccines from Malaria to Hep A and B, the flu vaccine each year, as well as specific immunization for the country to which they're being deployed, all of which are listed here.

In the case of the military, it is a national security issue, if a virus spreads through an entire unit while overseas it means that the full unit is out of commission. Soldiers who are unwilling to adhere to military rules and the orders of commanders are always free to leave. Following military leaders and orders, however, are key requirements of being in the military...........

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis put his weight behind dozens of conservative school board candidates across Florida during the midterms. Now they’re in office — and are purging some educational leaders who enforced Covid-19 mandates.

New board members in two GOP-leaning counties essentially sacked their school superintendents over the span of one week. The ousters were spurred by how the superintendents carried out local policies like efforts to support the rights of parents, an issue inflamed by schools imposing student mask mandates last fall in defiance of DeSantis.

And while not tied to the 2022 election, the school board in Broward County earlier this month fired its superintendent through an effort led by five members appointed by DeSantis. All combined, school boards with ties to DeSantis pushed out three superintendents in November alone — and each of them served over districts that implemented student mask mandates.

“We had a wave in school districts that spit in parents’ faces,” said state Rep. Randy Fine (R-Palm Bay), who earlier this year sought to punish schools with mask mandates. “And now the people who did that are gone.”................

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis put his weight behind dozens of conservative school board candidates across Florida during the midterms. Now they’re in office — and are purging some educational leaders who enforced Covid-19 mandates.

New board members in two GOP-leaning counties essentially sacked their school superintendents over the span of one week. The ousters were spurred by how the superintendents carried out local policies like efforts to support the rights of parents, an issue inflamed by schools imposing student mask mandates last fall in defiance of DeSantis.

And while not tied to the 2022 election, the school board in Broward County earlier this month fired its superintendent through an effort led by five members appointed by DeSantis. All combined, school boards with ties to DeSantis pushed out three superintendents in November alone — and each of them served over districts that implemented student mask mandates.

“We had a wave in school districts that spit in parents’ faces,” said state Rep. Randy Fine (R-Palm Bay), who earlier this year sought to punish schools with mask mandates. “And now the people who did that are gone.”................

This will backfire on Rs locally, IMO. People overall know and like their school administrators. And most normal people understood that everyone was trying to do what was right to protect teachers and students during a very difficult time. This will only appeal to about 30% of the population, if that.

As we keep finding out more about the virus, it looks like there might be long term bad effects:

As we keep finding out more about the virus, it looks like there might be long term bad effects:

My husband and I both had the delta version of Covid last year just before Christmas. That despite being fully vacinated and receiving the first booster shot. He just turned 60 this summer and 6 weeks ago he had a blood clot in the brain without any previous symptoms and living an active and healthy life. I recognized the symptoms immediatly and called 112 (our version of 911) and the medics got here in less than 8 minutes. He was very lucky and the only issues he still have from this is some trouble when using his right arm.

He has been undergoing treatments and examinations ever since it happened and they have found multiple areas in his brain which could be problematic going forward and we still do not have a complete picture of how big a problem he has. There is no history of Stroke in his family and until he got Covid he has passed every health check with flying colors.

My husband and I both had the delta version of Covid last year just before Christmas. That despite being fully vacinated and receiving the first booster shot. He just turned 60 this summer and 6 weeks ago he had a blood clot in the brain without any previous symptoms and living an active and healthy life. I recognized the symptoms immediatly and called 112 (our version of 911) and the medics got here in less than 8 minutes. He was very lucky and the only issues he still have from this is some trouble when using his right arm.

He has been undergoing treatments and examinations ever since it happened and they have found multiple areas in his brain which could be problematic going forward and we still do not have a complete picture of how big a problem he has. There is no history of Stroke in his family and until he got Covid he has passed every health check with flying colors.
    Ever since early in the pandemic, as soon as we started having patients in our hospital, we could all see this wasn’t a simple respiratory virus. We had a completely unique lab test profile - tests were abnormal for clotting assays, cardiac markers, and inflammation markers. It’s a combo of tests that usually aren’t all abnormal at the same time. At least not in respiratory diseases.

I’m sorry your husband had this issue, and really hope that is the end of any side effects. I’m so glad you were there and got him help so quickly.

Today I went to the market, and I was wearing my Covid mask. When I was checking out the ugly checkout beastly asked me a loaded question.

The ugly gross thing asked me "you aren't sickly are you darling?"

I could have slugged the ugly beastly thing in the face, I was close enough.

But I'm too nice to slug an ugly checkout beastly thing like that in a store, so I just said "no" and left.

I'm going to drive down to Merced 50 miles away to do my shopping until I get over being upset about that. No one pulls my chain like that without being punished. The beastly will cost that price gouging store owner plenty because I bet I'll remain upset for a whole year, maybe more after today.

I'll save money too, even adding in the cost of the gas.

Another reason why masks works and why Covid and the Flu spreads more during winter. Interesting article

In what researchers are calling a scientific breakthrough, scientists behind a new study may have found the biological reason we get more respiratory illnesses in winter. It turns out the cold air itself damages the immune response occurring in the nose.

In fact, reducing the temperature inside the nose by as little as 9 degrees Fahrenheit (5 degrees Celsius) kills nearly 50% of the billions of virus and bacteria-fighting cells in the nostrils, according to the study published Tuesday in The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology.

“Cold air is associated with increased viral infection because you’ve essentially lost half of your immunity just by that small drop in temperature,” said rhinologist Dr. Benjamin Bleier, director of otolaryngology at Massachusetts Eye and Ear and an associate professor at Harvard Medical School in Boston.

“Not only do masks protect you from the direct inhalation of viruses, but it’s also like wearing a sweater on your nose,” he said.

Use your head this holiday season.

https://www.nyc.gov/site/doh/about/press/pr2022/health-department-issues-commissioners-advisory.page

"Health Department Issues a Commissioner’s Advisory As NYC Faces High Levels of COVID-19, Influenza, and RSV
    COVID-19 and flu are increasing nationally and in New York City; nationally, hospitalizations for flu reached the highest levels for this time of year in more than a decade.

The Advisory strongly recommends masking in public indoor settings and crowded outdoor settings, and other proven precautions such as vaccination, testing, hand hygiene, and staying home when sick

December 9, 2022 – As New York City enters the holiday season, COVID-19 and other seasonal illnesses are seeing unusually high concurrent spikes. To slow the transmission of these viruses, the New York City Health Commissioner issued a Health Advisory that urges New York City residents to use high-quality masks when indoors and in crowded outdoor settings. This is especially important for people who are – or are meeting – those who are at increased risk for complications from COVID-19, RSV, or the flu, such as those age 65 and older and people who are immunocompromised.

“The holiday season is about togetherness and there is a way to gather safely – even as respiratory viruses in our city are unusually high,” said Health Commissioner Dr. Ashwin Vasan. “It starts with protecting yourself. Vaccination and boosters are critical but so are common sense precautions like masking when indoors or among crowds and staying home if you don’t feel well. Also, get tested before getting together, and get treated quickly if you test positive. We want everyone to have a happy and – most of all – healthy holiday.”

wonder if she'll have an axe to grind?

I do wish that people claiming 'religious exemption' or 'deeply help religious beliefs' would have to explain exactly why they feel that way

Federal government didn't play around there was a whole process, and 'religious exemption' wasn't the easy 'get out of jail free' card many thought it was

You had to explain what exactly about your religion says you can't get a vaccine, if you've had vaccines before you had to explain exactly why you were against this specific vaccine
    =====================================================================================
    BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — An adamant anti-vaxxer has scored a huge win in the court of public opinion and received her vindication.

The Kern County Board of Education swore in its new trustees. One of them was a teacher in Tehachapi for 20 years but she was fired just a few months ago but now she’ll be serving on the same board that ended her teaching career.

Lori Cisneros was a teacher at Valley Oaks Charter School in Tehachapi until she was put on unpaid leave for six months because she refused to get the COVID vaccine.

“I invoked my religious exemption,” Cisneros said. “Personally I had a conviction to not participate in the vaccine or the testing.”

She was fired in May, just a few months after our first story aired but now she’s back but in a position, she never thought she’d be in. She won the seventh district race for the Kern County Board of Education.

“I never thought in a million years I would be doing this. I don’t like politics but I knew there was a problem in the school district and in the system especially based on what happened to me,” Cisneros said.............

wonder if she'll have an axe to grind?

I do wish that people claiming 'religious exemption' or 'deeply help religious beliefs' would have to explain exactly why they feel that way

Federal government didn't play around there was a whole process, and 'religious exemption' wasn't the easy 'get out of jail free' card many thought it was

You had to explain what exactly about your religion says you can't get a vaccine, if you've had vaccines before you had to explain exactly why you were against this specific vaccine
    =====================================================================================
    BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (KGET) — An adamant anti-vaxxer has scored a huge win in the court of public opinion and received her vindication.

The Kern County Board of Education swore in its new trustees. One of them was a teacher in Tehachapi for 20 years but she was fired just a few months ago but now she’ll be serving on the same board that ended her teaching career.

Lori Cisneros was a teacher at Valley Oaks Charter School in Tehachapi until she was put on unpaid leave for six months because she refused to get the COVID vaccine.

“I invoked my religious exemption,” Cisneros said. “Personally I had a conviction to not participate in the vaccine or the testing.”

She was fired in May, just a few months after our first story aired but now she’s back but in a position, she never thought she’d be in. She won the seventh district race for the Kern County Board of Education.

“I never thought in a million years I would be doing this. I don’t like politics but I knew there was a problem in the school district and in the system especially based on what happened to me,” Cisneros said.............

You’ll notice she wasn’t fired for refusing to be vaccinated. She was fired because she also refused to be tested. Everyone except the military had a testing option.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom