All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

No I do NOT have to be "fair," not when being "fair" is giving Bull Shirt equal time.

You posted Bull Shirt!

Here's a Moose Turd Pie story video to entertain you, and any others who might see this post. It's funny:

Solid rebuttal. I guess any opinion you dont agree with you also consider bull Shirt!

didn't want to put on SR thread

They have loud opinions about things they don’t understand. Athletes have had sudden collapses during intense games or workouts since forever. They’re like little kids who have no common sense or critical thinking skills and just want to create drama. Idiots.

Anti-vaxxers are ramping up their lies. They’ve done some lying with numbers, saying that vaccines are causing excess deaths and a propaganda movie called “Died Suddenly”. It’s all complete hogwash meant to dazzle those who don’t know anything about science and how to look at data. I’m really getting tired of it. It’s disgusting and immoral. It leads to death.

Charts like these put out by WaPo should be the end of their lies. From an email newsletter I get:

58A98ED6-4DDA-42F1-952E-D3EC28537C61.jpeg

When the coronavirus pandemic reached peaks of suffering, ambition ran high to confront it and prepare for future outbreaks. In 2021, President Biden warned that “future biological threats could be far worse, and we are not adequately prepared,” and in March he proposed $88.2 billion over five years to build up biodefense and pandemic preparedness.

Mr. Biden also sought $9.25 billion to fund new vaccines and therapeutics.
Mr. Biden’s proposals never got any traction in the last Congress. The public sense that life is returning to normal — a mood that Mr. Biden encouraged — certainly played a role.

This leaves the nation stuck in a cycle of panic and neglect. The government’s purchase of hundreds of millions of doses of vaccines and treatments, and free distribution, is now over; others, mostly health insurers, will have to pay for the next shot, if one is even developed.

Neither the outgoing Congress nor Mr. Biden rose to the occasion to create a national bipartisan commission on the pandemic similar to the 9/11 commission.

After the death of 1 million Americans, such an investigation would have highlighted lessons learned from the chaotic pandemic response, shown the way forward on future threats and helped unravel the mystery of the virus’s origins. As it now stands, separate probes are planned in Congress’s more partisan and divisive atmosphere…….

When the coronavirus pandemic reached peaks of suffering, ambition ran high to confront it and prepare for future outbreaks. In 2021, President Biden warned that “future biological threats could be far worse, and we are not adequately prepared,” and in March he proposed $88.2 billion over five years to build up biodefense and pandemic preparedness.

Mr. Biden also sought $9.25 billion to fund new vaccines and therapeutics.
Mr. Biden’s proposals never got any traction in the last Congress. The public sense that life is returning to normal — a mood that Mr. Biden encouraged — certainly played a role.

This leaves the nation stuck in a cycle of panic and neglect. The government’s purchase of hundreds of millions of doses of vaccines and treatments, and free distribution, is now over; others, mostly health insurers, will have to pay for the next shot, if one is even developed.

Neither the outgoing Congress nor Mr. Biden rose to the occasion to create a national bipartisan commission on the pandemic similar to the 9/11 commission.

After the death of 1 million Americans, such an investigation would have highlighted lessons learned from the chaotic pandemic response, shown the way forward on future threats and helped unravel the mystery of the virus’s origins. As it now stands, separate probes are planned in Congress’s more partisan and divisive atmosphere…….

Thus is the weakness of Democracy exposed.
    We're completely, laughably, tragically unable to act for the future.
    Anything that takes more than a couple of years to complete ends up cancelled or crippled.

Has anyone else been seeing these stupid videos of people fake shaking and claiming it’s because they were vaccinated? They’re really bad

Yeah, I've seen two of them on Twitter so far. One of the shaking woman was drinking an unhealthy sugar sweetened soda, sipping it between shakes.

There's an old Pentecostal Christian context for this kind of fake shaking, watch this comedy portrayal of it:

There was a group of them in the town where I grew up. People used to say they'd snuck up to the church windows to watch them during their services. Their church was called the "Church of the First Born," but folks around there called them the "Holy Rollers."

I never watched them through their Church windows so I don't know. I knew people who claimed to have peeked through their church windows. I kind of doubted those stories, but I suppose someone at sometime did go to their church, and then fled from the church just like Flora Poste in that movie did.

The plaintiffs in Children’s Health Defense v. Washington Post are an array of Covid conspiracy theorists, anti-vaxxers, and disgraced media figures who preach the gospel of ivermectin.

They target four of the world’s leading media institutions — the Washington Post, the BBC, the Associated Press, and Reuters — claiming that these institutions violated federal antitrust law by conspiring with major tech companies to suppress many of the plaintiffs’ business. That is, the business of spreading highly dubious claims about a disease that killed more than a million Americans.

In case there’s any doubt, these plaintiffs’ claims are meritless. It is not illegal for media companies to work together to promote public health — or to work together in myriad other ways — so long as the purpose of that collective effort is to advance social or political goals, as opposed to economic goals such as eliminating competitors.

But the case will be heard by a judge who has spent his brief career on the bench acting like a rubber stamp for reactionary grievances: Trump appointee Matthew Kacsmaryk.

Kacsmaryk is a longtime anti-sex crusader and former attorney for a Christian right law firm in Texas. Since then-President Donald Trump appointed him to the federal bench, however, Kacsmaryk has become one of the most powerful allies of reactionary causes in the United States. Indeed, he’s become one of the most consequential public officials in modern-day America largely due to a rule that automatically assigns every federal lawsuit filed in Amarillo, Texas, to him.

Accordingly, far-right plaintiffs have spent the Biden administration making pilgrimages to Amarillo to beg policy favors from Kacsmaryk — favors that Kacsmaryk has thus far been more than happy to grant. In less than four years on the bench, he has inserted himself into the Biden administration's foreign policy.

He’s tried to nullify federal legal protections prohibiting health providers from discriminating against LGBTQ patients. He’s attacked the right to contraception. And he’s currently hearing a case attempting to force the Food and Drug Administration to withdraw its 23-year-old approval of mifepristone, a drug that is used in about half of all abortions.............

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom