All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (6 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Wow
    =====================
    A Congressman from Kentucky advocated for an "ethical form of non-compliance" by encouraging people and medical providers to falsify receiving a COVID-19 vaccine.

Republican Thomas Massie, who represents northern Kentucky, tweeted on October 15 that if a person were to "hypothetically" find a provider willing to fake administer a vaccine, it should be considered an ethical form of non-compliance, and it would be hard to prove.

Massie went on to suggest that this is already happened "thousands of times already" and is likely to continue increasing as vaccine mandates affect more workers.

"You'd have to be a fool to think this isn't happening," the elected official wrote.

Massie also wrote, "If you're relying on the vaccine to prevent your own death, did you take the $50 antibody test to confirm that it at least caused your body to create the spike antibodies?"

The Republican penned two other tweets criticizing vaccine mandates prior to his tweets about faking receiving the shot.

"Any vaccine mandate that does not recognize naturally acquired immunity should be ignored on the groups that people implementing it exhibit a willful disregard for reality and science," he wrote.

Massie continued, "If you indulge them in their alternate reality by acquiescing to their superstitious demands, be prepared for all manner of additional abuse that will follow."

Jorge A. Caballero, MD, responded to Massie's tweets and said that his understanding is any vaccine provider could be discovered and charged with defrauding the U.S. Government, with the recipient considered as a co-conspirator in the crime. He added that fraud is unethical..............

Sure, it is a term commonly use by right wingers. Sometimes the right is correct in describing real life. For example transgender women are not real women. IN this instance the right is correct.

Still no definition. Still drivel.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-infection.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

Natural immunity IS just as good as being jabbed: Official figures show unvaccinated Britons who beat Covid enjoy same protection against Delta as those who are double-dosed

• Office for National Statistics report said catching virus slashed infection risk
    • But it was reduced by same amount as among those who were double-jabbed
    • ONS statistician said the results may be because of waning vaccine immunity

Maybe one day our leaders will be honest about this but it will be after the damage is already done, as it has been.

this isn’t what most studies show though. Here is one from Univ. of Nebraska Medical School

“If you've had COVID-19 before, does your natural immunity work better than a vaccine?

The data is clear: Natural immunity is not better. The COVID-19 vaccines create more effective and longer-lasting immunity than natural immunity from infection.

• More than a third of COVID-19 infections result in zero protective antibodies
    • Natural immunity fades faster than vaccine immunity
    • Natural immunity alone is less than half as effective than natural immunity plus vaccination”
    it goes on to show what you experienced in your own life: up to 1/3 of people who have Covid develop no immunity at all. So even after you experienced this, you are grasping at straws to avoid a vaccine that is overwhelmingly safe and effective. Why?

At least we don’t live in Russia. Talk about restrictions.

'Humiliated' is a bit of stretch.
    But yeah, Australia is now a shirt hole country. They are mobilizing though and starting to push back on their authoritarian government.

Who is more of a shirt show, us or them? Because if i remember correctly when Trump was president, there were plenty of push back by the people agianst his presidency. is that how we judge how well the country is doing, or is it different when the ones pushing back fit the same narrative as you?

Who is more of a shirt show, us or them? Because if i remember correctly when Trump was president, there were plenty of push back by the people agianst his presidency. is that how we judge how well the country is doing, or is it different when the ones pushing back fit the same narrative as you?
    It says all that needs to be said when the are reelecting the officials that are confiscation booze, using the military to patrol neighborhoods to enforce the lockdown, putting down rescue dogs so no one travels to pick them up, limiting 5 miles (km) travel a day. They get who they vote for and you get what you deserve. I don't feel bad for them.

Wait, you mean people here in the US pushed back on Trump? I don't recall that.

Russia is in a bad way:

plus I heard a report this morning that there is a derivative of Delta that is causing cases to surge in Great Britain. I’m hoping this is at least somewhat overblown.

plus I heard a report this morning that there is a derivative of Delta that is causing cases to surge in Great Britain. I’m hoping this is at least somewhat overblown.
    That one is overblown, albeit in a "we don't know it's doing that at this point," rather than a "it definitely isn't doing that," way.

To put it shortly, yes, the numbers of this particular variant are increasing, but, numbers are increasing in the UK generally - because we're frankly doing a terrible job of it - so it's conceivable this variant's increased transmissibility if any (reports are there's indications that it may be 10-15% more transmissible than Delta, but that's not certain at this point I think) isn't particularly significant and it's growing primarily because it's got caught up in a general surge in the region. It hasn't really got established anywhere else, I think I've seen it mentioned it did get up to 2% of cases in Denmark, but then fell back again, so that would also indicate it doesn't have a particularly strong advantage.

So could be a problem, but may not be, and it's definitely not the primary factor in cases increasing here; that would be things like only just starting to vaccinate children, ending mask usage in secondary schools (and never having them in primary schools at all) before Delta arrived and then never - and still not even now - reintroducing their use, changing isolation requirements so children in households with Covid cases don't have to isolate and can still go to those mask-less schools right up until they themselves take a test and have it come back positive, full on large-scale indoor events without any significant public health measures, absolutely idiotic stuff like that.

So it is possible AY4.2 is bad news, but it also may well not be significant, we just can't really tell from the UK data, because we've basically given up and so despite our very good genomic surveillance it's hard to really pick out whether a variant is significant until it becomes overwhelmingly apparent.

Does anyone think the global community will hold China accountable for this virus (if it was from a lab leak and that is looking more and more likely)?

And to be honest, we (US) should be held accountable as well since we help fund the gain of function research (supposedly)

Does anyone think the global community will hold China accountable for this virus (if it was from a lab leak and that is looking more and more likely)?

And to be honest, we (US) should be held accountable as well since we help fund the gain of function research (supposedly)
    Before anything it has to be proven that it was a lab leak, Which will probably never happen because China will never let it be investigated properly.

Also, I never knew the Obama admininstation in 2014 had put a ban on gain of function, that was lifted under the Trump administation in 2017. (maybe it was discussed here already, i may have missed it in the 400+ pages)

I saw this original story the other day. One of FL state senators has been diagnosed with breast cancer and is about to start radiation therapy. The newly appointed FL Surgeon General visited her in her office and she asked him to wear a mask due to her medical condition. He refused, shockingly, so she asked him to leave and he did. At least the GOP is calling him out about that.

Doctors come in all stripes. If you look hard enough (as I'm sure DeSantis did) you'll eventually find one that values politics over science.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom