All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

Just, once again, highlights how we need the President to be more judicious with what he advocates and defer to the medical experts on recommendations.

The World Health Organization says it is temporarily halting its clinical trials that use hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19 patients over published concerns that the drug may do more harm than good.

The move comes after the medical journal The Lancet reported on Friday that patients getting hydroxychloroquine were dying at higher rates than other coronavirus patients.

He said the other arms of the trial - a major international initiative to hold clinical tests of potential treatments for the virus - were continuing.

The WHO has previously recommended against using hydroxychloroquine to treat or prevent coronavirus infections, except as part of clinical trials.

Dr. Mike Ryan, head of the WHO emergencies programme, said the decision to suspend trials of hydroxychloroquine had been taken out of "an abundance of caution".

Just, once again, highlights how we need the President to be more judicious with what he advocates and defer to the medical experts on recommendations.

The World Health Organization says it is temporarily halting its clinical trials that use hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19 patients over published concerns that the drug may do more harm than good.

The move comes after the medical journal The Lancet reported on Friday that patients getting hydroxychloroquine were dying at higher rates than other coronavirus patients.

He said the other arms of the trial - a major international initiative to hold clinical tests of potential treatments for the virus - were continuing.

The WHO has previously recommended against using hydroxychloroquine to treat or prevent coronavirus infections, except as part of clinical trials.

Dr. Mike Ryan, head of the WHO emergencies programme, said the decision to suspend trials of hydroxychloroquine had been taken out of "an abundance of caution".

I don't think Trump cares what we think.. or what we need.

Apparently there was an issue with a server which lead to much lower numbers being reported in Louisiana over the past two days.

That’s the second time then. When JBE had the press conference about moving to phase 1, they said the numbers were skewed due to a server issue.

Either I should reach out about IT support, or the numbers aren’t totally above board.

That’s the second time then. When JBE had the press conference about moving to phase 1, they said the numbers were skewed due to a server issue.

Either I should reach out about IT support, or the numbers aren’t totally above board.

What do you mean exactly? I am not an IT person.. I know you would be concerned.. East Baton Rouge has really suffered.

It was concerning but inevitable to see people all across the country gather en masse during this pandemic for memorial day yesterday. I hope there are not lasting consequences for this, but there's a good chance there will be. Here's an excerpt from a WHO article:

The World Health Organization is warning of a second peak – not necessarily a second wave – of coronavirus cases.

During a media briefing on Monday, Dr. Mike Ryan, executive director of WHO’s Health Emergencies Programme, said right now, we are “right in the middle of the first wave, globally."

“We're still very much in a phase where the disease is actually on the way up," he added.

“We need to be also cognizant of the fact that the disease can jump up at any time. We cannot make assumptions that just because the disease is on the way down now that it's going to keep going down, and the way to get a number of months to get ready for a second wave – we may get a second peak in this way,” Ryan said.
    Ryan warned that a second peak or wave could come during the normal influenza season, “which will greatly complicate things for disease control.”

Maria Van Kerkhove, a WHO infectious disease epidemiologist, said “all countries need to remain on high alert here. All countries need to be ready to rapidly detect cases, even countries that have had success in suppression. … Even countries that have seen a decline in cases must remain ready.”

Van Kerkhove said if given the opportunity, the virus will start an outbreak.

“A hallmark of coronaviruses is its ability to amplify in certain settings, its ability to cause transmission – or super spreading events. And we are seeing in a number of situations in these closed settings. When the virus has an opportunity, it can transmit readily," she said.

Article: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/...t-1st-wave-of-pandemic-not-over-dampens-hopes

It was concerning but inevitable to see people all across the country gather en masse during this pandemic for memorial day yesterday. I hope there are not lasting consequences for this, but there's a good chance there will be. Here's an excerpt from a WHO article:

Article: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/...t-1st-wave-of-pandemic-not-over-dampens-hopes

Yeah we are gonna see real spikes in the next two weeks from last weekend and the blatant disregard for human life.

Missouri is gonna feel the mistakes they have made in the last week or so.

Yeah we are gonna see real spikes in the next two weeks from last weekend and the blatant disregard for human life.

Missouri is gonna feel the mistakes they have made in the last week or so.

Trump calls that "Mizzooria".. I sure hope that doesn't happen, but in all likelihood there will be a spike.

From the CDC on the 24th.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the current "best estimate" for the fatality rate among Americans with COVID-19 symptoms is 0.4 percent. The CDC also estimates that 35 percent of people infected by the COVID-19 virus never develop symptoms. Those numbers imply that the virus kills less than 0.3 percent of people infected by it—far lower than the infection fatality rates (IFRs) assumed by the alarming projections that drove the initial government response to the epidemic, including broad business closure and stay-at-home orders.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the current "best estimate" for the fatality rate among Americans with COVID-19 symptoms is 0.4 percent. The CDC also estimates that 35 percent of people infected by the COVID-19 virus never develop symptoms. Those numbers imply that the virus kills less than 0.3 percent of people infected by it—far lower than the infection fatality rates (IFRs) assumed by the alarming projections that drove the initial government response to the epidemic, including broad business closure and stay-at-home orders.

What of the nearly 100,000 Americans who have died of the coronavirus?
    Sweden's herd immunity strategy was a huge flop.. Their death rate is twice that of the US.

What of the nearly 100,000 Americans who have died of the coronavirus?
    Sweden's herd immunity strategy was a huge flop.. Their death rate is twice that of the US.

I'm just reporting numbers from the CDC. You don't have to believe them if you don't want to.

Also, I made no allusions to herd immunity or Sweden.

Those numbers also reflects the fact that the inital shutdown may have prevented the situations seen in Italy and now Brazil where people who COULD have been saved, was not due to the hospital systems being overrun.. It is a cause/effect thing. You shut down and people say "it is not too bad, hospitals can manage, fatality rate is not too high" - but look at Italy where they did not shut down initally or look at the new hot spots in south America

We have the same situation here - some right wing politicians are complaining about the shutdown which is now being eased saying it was not too bad, but they only need to look at our brothers in Sweden to see just how bad it could have gotten or maybe even far worse since we have a much higher population density than Sweden.

Those numbers also reflects the fact that the inital shutdown may have prevented the situations seen in Italy and now Brazil where people who COULD have been saved, was not due to the hospital systems being overrun.. It is a cause/effect thing. You shut down and people say "it is not too bad, hospitals can manage, fatality rate is not too high" - but look at Italy where they did not shut down initally or look at the new hot spots in south America

We have the same situation here - some right wing politicians are complaining about the shutdown which is now being eased saying it was not too bad, but they only need to look at our brothers in Sweden to see just how bad it could have gotten or maybe even far worse since we have a much higher population density than Sweden.

So now I am right wing for stating numbers from the CDC. I guess you are calling the CDC a right wing entity now?

So now I am right wing for stating numbers from the CDC. I guess you are calling the CDC a right wing entity now?

Nobody is calling you right wing. What point or argument are you trying to make by posting the article? Are you just posting for the numbers? Or was there something else you're trying to argue based on numbers from the article.

I found the article interesting and informative for the numbers. Though I feel I could point out some inconstiancies in the arguments/conclusioins they draw in places. That also seemed to be what @Dragon was pointing out.

Nobody is calling you right wing. What point or argument are you trying to make by posting the article? Are you just posting for the numbers? Or was there something else you're trying to argue based on numbers from the article.

I found the article interesting and informative for the numbers. Though I feel I could point out some inconstiancies in the arguments/conclusioins they draw in places. That also seemed to be what @Dragon was pointing out.

The numbers from the CDC show that the rush to lock everything down the way we did may have been too reactionary, they were based on a much higher mortality rate. The deleterious impacts on the economy could end up causing many more fatalities than the virus itself. But that is almost impossible to quantify.

The numbers from the CDC show that the rush to lock everything down the way we did may have been too reactionary, they were based on a much higher mortality rate. The deleterious impacts on the economy could end up causing many more fatalities than the virus itself. But that is almost impossible to quantify.
    A report came out just last week that stated 36,000 fewer people would have died if the National State of Emergency and stay at home orders would have gone into effect one week earlier. Doesn't seem over-reactionary to me. maybe for the long term numbers of dead, but not what we've gone through thus far.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom