All things political. Coronavirus Edition. (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Maxp

Reaction score
    I fear we are really going to be in a bad place due to the obvious cuts to the federal agencies that deal with infectious disease, but also the negative effect the Affordable Care act has had on non urban hospitals. Our front line defenses are ineffectual and our ability to treat the populous is probably at an all time low. Factor in the cost of healthcare and I can see our system crashing. What do you think about the politics of this virus?

That can't be, I thought it was only republicans who were pushing back against the CDC.

Just gotta be fake news from Faux.

I agree.
    And I practice that in my life.

Also, about the future...to me the most important thing we can do to show tolerance and empathy compassion etc...moving forward is to instill those values, in our little ones.

I did. Children are truly the future as generic as that is. They learn what we teach and also what they are surrounded by.
    I do not agree with my son on his political and societal views, but the way he was raised by his mother and me was to do and think for himself so I have to respect it.

I guarantee you 99% of lib households do not share that philosophy. I see mostly hard core bigots from the left. More so than the right. And I know full well the right has them too.

Sadly I don’t think the bigots are going anywhere. It takes a conscience effort and a large mind to open your horizons imo. Most aren’t willing to take that leap, and or are incapable of that type of understanding.

Are you serious? How can you respond to a post calling for people to choose to be less divisive and work more towards understanding, say you agree with it, then label half the population as hardcore bigots that don't raise their children to think for themselves?

Are you serious? How can you respond to a post calling for people to choose to be less divisive and work more towards understanding, say you agree with it, then label half the population as hardcore bigots that don't raise their children to think for themselves?

Not about left or right to me. I think there are too many bigots on both sides. And I don’t think that’s going to change.
    Quite sure that many conservative households are bigoted too. I just think the percentage would be lower than the left households.

Not about left or right to me. I think there are too many bigots on both sides. And I don’t think that’s going to change.
    Quite sure that many conservative households are bigoted too. I just think the percentage would be lower than the left households.

No, you singled out "99% of lib households." That's bullshirt, Hump. It's the exact kind of crap Andrus wanted to avoid. It does nothing but divide and there's no way in hell you don't know that.

It doesn't have to stay so divided and hate filled. People choose to be that way. If we all took a moment to try to see the other person's perspective, we would be unlikely to change our minds, but would hopefully gain some understanding for why they think the way they do. In a sense, that is what Andrus is trying to do here -- to try to provide a place for civil discussion. If we focused more on understanding and less on "winning the argument," there would be much less vitriol.

I hope that what we are seeing is the more dogmatic voices amplified on social media and the traditional media.

I can't recall going out IRL, spotting people who have polar opposite views and then deciding the thing to do is argue ad nauseam.

No, what happens with normal people in person is that you think, "oh, there is a subject that we need to avoid if we ever want to get invited to another party."

Hell, in that situation I usually avoid conversations with someone on the right if I can tell their views are whacked. That's the time when you get up and say, "anybody need a beer?"

Just like I don't want to argue with someone over whether the Earth is flat. (obviously it is, but you will never convince those round Earthers).

No, you singled out "99% of lib households." That's bullshirt, Hump. It's the exact kind of crap Andrus wanted to avoid. It does nothing but divide and there's no way in hell you don't know that.
    If I’m the epitome of what Andrus wants to avoid with this site, if that’s truly what you believe, then so be it.

I’ll rephrase, from what I have witnessed, libs seem to be way less tolerant than the middle and right leaning folks.
    SJW, race baiting, accusations of sexism misogyny etc. around every corner. PC police. I see that from the left ad nauseam.

That’s all bigoted imo. And I don’t see it nearly as much from other folks.
    Ya know I do wonder tho if some of my views do indeed get skewed a bit from subconscious predispositions such as UTJ alluded to.

Last edited:
    I hope that what we are seeing is the more dogmatic voices amplified on social media and the traditional media.

I can't recall going out IRL, spotting people who have polar opposite views and then deciding the thing to do is argue ad nauseam.

No, what happens with normal people in person is that you think, "oh, there is a subject that we need to avoid if we ever want to get invited to another party."

Hell, in that situation I usually avoid conversations with someone on the right if I can tell their views are whacked. That's the time when you get up and say, "anybody need a beer?"

Just like I don't want to argue with someone over whether the Earth is flat. (obviously it is, but you will never convince those round Earthers).

Agreed. Well except for your last. 😁

If I’m the epitome of what Andrus wants to avoid with this site, if that’s truly what you believe, then so be it.

I’ll rephrase, from what I have witnessed, libs seem to be way less tolerant than the middle and right leaning folks.
    SJW, race baiting, accusations of sexism misogyny etc. around every corner. PC police. I see that from the left ad nauseam.

Nearly every single one of those terms is something we've been asked to avoid as they cause further divide.

As for your "so be it" attitude, that's the exact opposite take from one who claims to show tolerance, empathy, and compassion. You are making no effort to understand my point of view. You are dismissing what I am telling you that I see. And it's not just here. It's been in multiple threads on this board. It's getting ridiculous, Hump.

Trans jokes, anti-immigrant screeds, circle jerking to white nationalist assault videos
    (looking at you Flip), passive aggressive digs at the morality of liberals, and accusations of left wing bigotry, using derisive terms for the left like libs, TDS, sky screamers, the real racists etc.: hard truths and expressions of free speech, get over it snowflake libs!

Liberals calling those people high fiving white supremacist videos, making anti-immigrant screeds, and demonstrating patterns of misogyny as demonstrating: racism, bigotry, or sexism: PC police run amok!!!

Make up your minds, do you want your uncensored free speech or not? Or is the real goal simply to control the censor? No different than what you accuse the left of doing for expressing their own observations out loud.

Last edited:
    I agree.
    And I practice that in my life.

Also, about the future...to me the most important thing we can do to show tolerance and empathy compassion etc...moving forward is to instill those values, in our little ones.

I did. Children are truly the future as generic as that is. They learn what we teach and also what they are surrounded by.
    I do not agree with my son on his political and societal views, but the way he was raised by his mother and me was to do and think for himself so I have to respect it.

I guarantee you 99% of lib households do not share that philosophy. I see mostly hard core bigots from the left. More so than the right. And I know full well the right has them too.

Sadly I don’t think the bigots are going anywhere. It takes a conscience effort and a large mind to open your horizons imo. Most aren’t willing to take that leap, and or are incapable of that type of understanding.

I'm left leaning what some would certainly call liberal in many ways but consider myself to be a conservative in some ways also....my wife is similar but mostly doesn't like to discuss politics at all...

Your guarantee regarding "lib" households isn't worth the time you took to write it...Raising your kids to think for themselves to me is not a left/right thing, it is a values thing. My older son is much more to the right than I am and that is fine. He can argue a point intelligently, thoughtfully and while I may not agree with him, I have to respect and am proud of him for it.

It is funny because I do have some friends that are on the far right, they know where I stand and respect that I really don't want to talk politics as there is usually no point, I would just rather continue being friends. Two of my friends were talking to my older son about economics (one had a PHD in economics and my son has a dual degree economics being one of them) and were astonished that he was more to the right than I am...so I tend to think this is something the right likes to push....

One of my friends is the father of both my god daughters. He is very far to the right, a huge Trump supporter and he basically raged at his older daughter on facebook for not being a Trump supporter and admonished her basically for being different than him and thinking for herself...his wife (who is a fantastic woman) squashed him on that rather quickly and fiercely....

I'm sure there are plenty of left/right parents that raise their kids well and I'm also sure that 99% guarantee is absolute bullshirt....

Exactly my thought....

Nearly every single one of those terms is something we've been asked to avoid as they cause further divide.

As for your "so be it" attitude, that's the exact opposite take from one who claims to show tolerance, empathy, and compassion. You are making no effort to understand my point of view. You are dismissing what I am telling you that I see. And it's not just here. It's been in multiple threads on this board. It's getting ridiculous, Hump.

If you can look at my posts and see no tolerance then I can’t help you.
    And me saying so be it is just another way of saying I respect that you feel differently than I do.

If you feel me not fully agreeing with you on something is somehow dismissing you, I don’t know how to fix that as I won’t just agree with you when I don’t.

I’ve been told several phrases I can’t say as they trigger folks, and I avoid them. On this website at least.

To your last, just petition for me to be banned and replaced with another that sees like you do on all issues.

Know what else is tiresome? How people here get away with constantly calling the POTUS names. Over and over. And over. That’s beyond tiresome too, cuddle.

All the while being able to shut down any thing of the sort directed at politicians on the left. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Last edited:
    I'm left leaning what some would certainly call liberal in many ways but consider myself to be a conservative in some ways also....my wife is similar but mostly doesn't like to discuss politics at all...

Your guarantee regarding "lib" households isn't worth the time you took to write it...Raising your kids to think for themselves to me is not a left/right thing, it is a values thing. My older son is much more to the right than I am and that is fine. He can argue a point intelligently, thoughtfully and while I may not agree with him, I have to respect and am proud of him for it.

It is funny because I do have some friends that are on the far right, they know where I stand and respect that I really don't want to talk politics as there is usually no point, I would just rather continue being friends. Two of my friends were talking to my older son about economics (one had a PHD in economics and my son has a dual degree economics being one of them) and were astonished that he was more to the right than I am...so I tend to think this is something the right likes to push....

One of my friends is the father of both my god daughters. He is very far to the right, a huge Trump supporter and he basically raged at his older daughter on facebook for not being a Trump supporter and admonished her basically for being different than him and thinking for herself...his wife (who is a fantastic woman) squashed him on that rather quickly and fiercely....

I'm sure there are plenty of left/right parents that raise their kids well and I'm also sure that 99% guarantee is absolute bullshirt....

Exactly my thought....

When have I insinuated that it’s a right left thing about raising our kids?
    Never.

I used the example of my son being liberal as this is a political board.

I’m glad that the Trump husband was squashed by his wife on his bigotry. As I stated I’m quite sure it happens on the right too. Just don’t see it as much as I do from the left.

I raised my kids to be kind compassionate empathetic and to think for themselves.
    On all things. And they have grown up to be so.

If you can look at my posts and see no tolerance then I can’t help you.
    And me saying so be it is just another way of saying I respect that you feel differently than I do.

If you feel me not fully agreeing with you on something is somehow dismissing you, I don’t know how to fix that as I won’t just agree with you when I don’t.

I’ve been told several phrases I can’t say as they trigger folks, and I avoid them. On this website at least.

To your last, just petition for me to be banned and replaced with another that see like you do on all issues.

Please stop using strawman arguments. I never said you didn't show tolerance. What you quoted was me describing a lack of empathy on your part.

I never said that not agreeing with me is dismissive. Failing to understand and address concerns when they are brought to you and repeatedly refusing to acknowledge someone else's position is what is dismissive.

I never said you should be banned, and I most certainly did not say we should make this an echo chamber.

Please stop using strawman arguments. I never said you didn't show tolerance. What you quoted was me describing a lack of empathy on your part.

I never said that not agreeing with me is dismissive. Failing to understand and address concerns when they are brought to you and repeatedly refusing to acknowledge someone else's position is what is dismissive.

I never said you should be banned, and I most certainly did not say we should make this an echo chamber.

I’m using no strawman.
    And I’m not arguing with you. At all. I also don’t dismiss anyone’s POV, even when I vehemently disagree with it.
    I am an extremely compassionate sympathetic and empathetic individual. Whether you or anyone else here believes it.

Matter of fact, even tho you and l are polar opposites, I hope you and yours have a wonderful day.

Trans jokes, anti-immigrant screeds, circle jerking to white nationalist assault videos
    (looking at you Flip), passive aggressive digs at the morality of liberals, and accusations of left wing bigotry, using derisive terms for the left like libs, TDS, sky screamers, the real racists etc.: hard truths and expressions of free speech, get over it snowflake libs!

Liberals calling those people high fiving white supremacist videos, making anti-immigrant screeds, and demonstrating patterns of misogyny as demonstrating: racism, bigotry, or sexism: PC police run amok!!!

Make up your minds, do you want your uncensored free speech or not? Or is the real goal simply to control the censor? No different than what you accuse the left of doing for expressing their own observations out loud.
    Bronco you take the proverbial cake for me here.
    How about just plain aggressive posts about our President, over and over and over? And over.

I ask you truly, do you sit and wait every day to bait someone and try to gotcha them in some way?

You also lean heavily on projection.

Hope you and yours have a great Sunday Funday. Regardless of how different we are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom