All Things LGBTQ+ (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

good read about the bud light boycott
    ===========================
    ............For a subsequent sponsored video for Bud Light, posted on 1 April, Mulvaney sought to send up gender stereotypes: she dressed as Holly Golightly, the Breakfast at Tiffany’s character, and played the ditz: “I just heard about this thing called March Madness. Turns out it has something to do with sports!” The video showed a personalised Bud Light can Mulvaney had been given by the company to celebrate what she called her “day 365 of womanhood”.

During that year of transition, Mulvaney, a former musical-theater kid, had attracted some negativity for her more campy moments, as well as a post in which she held up a box of tampons. (“I’m always going to have one on hand for anyone who needs it,” she said.) In late 2022, her partnership with Ulta Beauty was targeted by trolls, but their calls to boycott the makeup brand did not gather steam.

The backlash to Mulvaney’s March Madness post was swift, brutal and unprecedented. It also seemed somewhat random: she was hardly better known than she had been six weeks before, but high-profile rightwingers stumbled on the video and their outrage went viral. One conservative commentator, Ben Shapiro, posted a vitriolic 12-minute video in which he repeatedly misgendered Mulvaney called trans identity “a lie”. Ted Cruz, Ron DeSantis, Caitlyn Jenner and Marjorie Taylor Greene piled on. Kid Rock and the former NFL player Trae Waynes filmed themselves shooting cans of beer, and rightwing influencers flooded their feeds with calls to boycott. (Kid Rock was later photographed apparently drinking Bud Light.) “It was extreme,” says Jon Springer, a senior beverages and sports reporter at Ad Age. “Kind of terroristic. It hit a nerve and said to people that this was something they should be really angry about, and not just uncomfortable about or just prefer that it didn’t happen.”

Two weeks after Mulvaney’s post, Bud Light’s year-on-year sales had dropped 17%. In May, Modelo overtook it as the bestselling beer in the US, ending Bud Light’s two decades of dominance. In the second quarter of 2023, Anheuser-Busch noted a 10.5% decline in US revenue; in the four weeks ending in early September, Bud Light sales were down 27% year on year, per Bump Williams Consulting.

“A lot of people drink Bud Light,” says Beth Demmon, author of The Beer Lover’s Guide to Cider. “But at its core it usually appeals to white American men and represents a certain lifestyle. Football, nachos, BBQs, traditional suburban family dynamics, that sort of thing. It’s a stereotype that exists from years of very careful, specific and strategic marketing studies and campaigns, and it’s worked for a long time.”

In the 90s, Bud Light’s testosterone-fueled advertising sold the beer as a way to win friends and influence people – especially women. The customer base was very loyal, says William Knoedelseder, author of Bitter Brew: The Rise and Fall of Anheuser-Busch and America’s Kings of Beer. “They came to think: ‘This is our beer, this means something about us.’”

Bud Light has been supporting LGBTQ+ causes since the 90s, with targeted ads in gay publications and Pride sponsorships, though they flew under the mainstream radar before the internet. And the way companies reach us now – a dizzying mix of paid posts, micro-campaigns and influencer seeding, as well as traditional billboard and TV spots – is so byzantine that the fact that Mulvaney’s role was small, as one of many brand partners, got lost in the crosshairs.

To some, the firestorm was a cautionary tale of a corporate colossus failing to grasp its core customers’ values (in conservative commentators’ parlance: “Go woke, go broke”). Bud Light then went silent, when its words mattered most – in a move that led many to question the sincerity of the company’s LGBTQ+ support.

“People say, ‘It’s just beer,’” says Demmon. “No, it’s more than just beer.”...............

Representation in the C-suite doesn’t solve everything – and Anheuser-Busch is far from the only company without it – but former employees say that a more diverse boardroom might have led to a more empathetic handling of the controversy. This spring, Anheuser-Busch stayed quiet while videos circulated online of its beers untouched in grocery stores. Some self-described “anti-woke” voices seemed to take the boycott’s success as tacit permission to air prejudice.

“The beer has become a manifestation of people’s uncomfortableness with trans people,” says Springer. “And so not buying Bud Light is sort of a socially acceptable way to say ‘I don’t like trans people’ or ‘I’m not comfortable with trans people in the world’.”

Five months on, “give them the Bud Light treatment” has become a conservative rallying cry. This summer, Target was hit by backlash for a Pride collection which included LGBTQ+-positive children’s apparel (the store’s revenues fell 4.9% in 2023’s second quarter). Users of the social media platforms Truth Social and X, formerly Twitter, urged boycotts of companies including Best Buy, Disney and Nascar for perceived “woke” policies and marketing initiatives.............

Last edited:
    From the beginning of time? You mean when men would trade goats for a wife?
    Lets try and keep the discussion about our current civilization and time period, but you know that, you just cant defend the hyperbole statement. It is all good.

As I said, in the context of the religion, not the ceremony itself.

My "nihilistic view" of religion? I simply don't believe in the myth you believe in, very much so like you don't believe in the myths of Valhalla, or Olympus, or the 72 virgins, or that a cow you see could be your cousin.

And my view isn't cutting edge. Hindus don't believe in your religion. Jews don't believe in your religion. It's hardly cutting edge.

"Book keeping" is a... over simplified view of civil marriage, and rather dismissive of it... the beginning of man, well, I'll use the shortest estimate, that'd be about 94,000 years before Judaism even existed, across many cultures which never heard of Yahweh or Y'shua before they were rammed down their throats... and more often than not those marriages were basically property transfers from father to husband, and they still are within the context of religion, to various extents.
    I still don't understand how religion puts women in danger by marriage. Would civil union do the same?

In this civilization/culture is indeed cutting edge. Maybe not as much as 50 years ago, or even 10 years ago but still a counter culture view. Although, honestly at this point, you might be right. Being Christian is probably counter culture in the new secular civilization. I will give you that.

I didn't get any property transfered to me when I got married. What is the going rate now anyway?

Lets try and keep the discussion about our current civilization and time period, but you know that, you just cant defend the hyperbole statement. It is all good.

That's pretty rich, lol. I mean that's in the text of the religious book that you "follow and adhere" to when explaining your whole idea of marriage as a religious and special arrangement. Why don't you update your religious beliefs to our current civilization first?

That's pretty rich, lol. I mean that's in the text of the religious book that you "follow and adhere" to when explaining your whole idea of marriage as a religious and special arrangement. Why don't you update your religious beliefs to our current civilization first?
    That is the beauty of natural truths. They don't need to be updated. They are always true. Like men and women makes new little humans (us bitter clingers call those groups of humans families).

Certainly a larger percentage of religious folks are groomers than drag queens are. Do you not agree?
    A percentage? Are you talking just those that dress in drag or trans people too?

Yes that’s exactly what I said. What an amazing mind you have to discern that. 😂
    Sorry. My mind does take to minute to determine if someone is being sarcastic or actually lacks the critical thinking process and are easily brainwashed. I am caught up. Carry on.

Just curious, what do you think the punishment should be for a child predator?

I don't know that that has one answer. Reflectively I'd say the death penalty because of my disgust for child predators, but if we adhere to the principle that capitol punishment is only used for those who murder other people, then it wouldn't be an appropriate punishment. I don't have a good answer for how long they should be in prison. I suppose that's dependent on what happened.

I don't know that that has one answer. Reflectively I'd say the death penalty because of my disgust for child predators, but if we adhere to the principle that capitol punishment is only used for those who murder other people, then it wouldn't be an appropriate punishment. I don't have a good answer for how long they should be in prison. I suppose that's dependent on what happened.
    No, your first reflex is correct. It should always be the death penalty for child predators. Have you looked into who started the gender theory movement?

No, your first reflex is correct. It should always be the death penalty for child predators.

Other than murder, what is the death penalty used as a punishment for? Can't think of anything. You'd have to change a lot of existing laws to make that happen. Doesn't sound plausible. Also, there are degrees. Are you saying that any act of child molestation should be punished with the death penalty? Do you have any idea how many people we'd be executing?

I have no sympathy for and make no excuses for child predators, but your thought process here is irrational.

Have you looked into who started the gender theory movement?

We've been down that rabbit hole before. Not interested in following you into it again.

If it turns out that prenatal hormones play a role in sexual orientation and/or gender identity, then people who are uncomfortable with sexual diversity are going to be even more miserable as time goes on.

Most of the environmental pollutants across the planet are endocrine disruptors and they are in all of the air we breathe, the water we drink and the food we eat. But wait there's more, not only are they everywhere, but their parts per billion levels keep climbing at an alarming pace.

But wait there's even more, we are doing very little to curtail the problem. Staunchly CIS, hetero parents might be wise to start preparing themselves for an ever increasing likelihood that their children will be very non-CIS and non-hetero.

How much you want to bet the rabidly anti-hormone treatment for transgender children crowd will bully their way to the front of the line to get prenatal hormone treatments to make sure their babies turn out CIS and hetero?

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom