/* */

All Things LGBTQ+ (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

why are there gender separations for chess in the first place?
    =======================================
    The international governing body for chess has released new policies that prohibit transgender women from competing in women’s events and will strip some transgender players of their titles.

Under the new guidelines from the International Chess Federation — known by its French acronym, FIDE — individuals who transition from male to female have “no right” to compete in official events for women until “further analysis” is made, which could take up to two years. Additionally, if a player holds titles in women’s categories and transitions to male, “the women titles are to be abolished,” while if the player transitions from male to female, the titles will remain, the handbook says.

FIDE also said it has the right to “inform the organizers and other relevant parties” about a player’s gender change, which it said was to prevent players “from possible illegitimate enrollments in tournaments.”

Yosha Iglesias, a FIDE master and chess coach from France, expressed concern about the new regulations, writing on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, that the federation made it sound as if transgender players are “the biggest threat” to women in chess.

The Center for Trans Equality, in a statement posted on the X platform, said the new policy “relies on ignorant anti-trans ideas” and is “insulting to cis women, to trans women, and to the game itself.”

Asked to respond to these criticisms, FIDE wrote in an email, “Of course men and women are equally intellectually capable. However, in chess as a sport other factors like physical endurance may play a role.”

FIDE approved the policy at a meeting earlier this month, and it will go into effect next week. The new regulations “are aimed at clearly defining” the procedure for registering a gender change in the FIDE system, the organization said, adding that FIDE will monitor developments in “transgender legislation” around the world to “see how we can apply them to the world of chess.”.

FIDE did not respond to a question about how the new policy will affect transgender players already registered in the system.

Global athletic bodies as well as conservative legislators across the United States have in recent years sought to ban transgender athletes from participating in sports competitions matching their gender identity, arguing that trans women have an unfair physical advantage over cisgender women. Advocates say such policies further marginalize and endanger transgender people and reflect long-standing efforts to “shut trans people out of public spaces.

But “there’s not that physicality dimension to chess, it’s a game of strategy,” said Richard Pringle, a professor of sociology and education who studies gender and sexuality in the context of sport at Monash University in Australia.

“It suggests that males are somehow strategically better. … It’s not just transphobic, it’s anti-feminist too,” he said of the ban, adding that it was “likely a political decision rather than an issue of fairness.”................

"Additionally, if a player holds titles in women’s categories and transitions to male, “the women titles are to be abolished,” while if the player transitions from male to female, the titles will remain, the handbook says."

Very strange.

"Additionally, if a player holds titles in women’s categories and transitions to male, “the women titles are to be abolished,” while if the player transitions from male to female, the titles will remain, the handbook says."

Very strange.

It reads like a straight up transphobic policy.

why are there gender separations for chess in the first place?
    =======================================
    The international governing body for chess has released new policies that prohibit transgender women from competing in women’s events and will strip some transgender players of their titles.

Under the new guidelines from the International Chess Federation — known by its French acronym, FIDE — individuals who transition from male to female have “no right” to compete in official events for women until “further analysis” is made, which could take up to two years. Additionally, if a player holds titles in women’s categories and transitions to male, “the women titles are to be abolished,” while if the player transitions from male to female, the titles will remain, the handbook says.

FIDE also said it has the right to “inform the organizers and other relevant parties” about a player’s gender change, which it said was to prevent players “from possible illegitimate enrollments in tournaments.”

Yosha Iglesias, a FIDE master and chess coach from France, expressed concern about the new regulations, writing on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter, that the federation made it sound as if transgender players are “the biggest threat” to women in chess.

The Center for Trans Equality, in a statement posted on the X platform, said the new policy “relies on ignorant anti-trans ideas” and is “insulting to cis women, to trans women, and to the game itself.”

Asked to respond to these criticisms, FIDE wrote in an email, “Of course men and women are equally intellectually capable. However, in chess as a sport other factors like physical endurance may play a role.”

FIDE approved the policy at a meeting earlier this month, and it will go into effect next week. The new regulations “are aimed at clearly defining” the procedure for registering a gender change in the FIDE system, the organization said, adding that FIDE will monitor developments in “transgender legislation” around the world to “see how we can apply them to the world of chess.”.

FIDE did not respond to a question about how the new policy will affect transgender players already registered in the system.

Global athletic bodies as well as conservative legislators across the United States have in recent years sought to ban transgender athletes from participating in sports competitions matching their gender identity, arguing that trans women have an unfair physical advantage over cisgender women. Advocates say such policies further marginalize and endanger transgender people and reflect long-standing efforts to “shut trans people out of public spaces.

But “there’s not that physicality dimension to chess, it’s a game of strategy,” said Richard Pringle, a professor of sociology and education who studies gender and sexuality in the context of sport at Monash University in Australia.

“It suggests that males are somehow strategically better. … It’s not just transphobic, it’s anti-feminist too,” he said of the ban, adding that it was “likely a political decision rather than an issue of fairness.”................

Judas freaking Priest. That ranks right up there with the stupidest schlitz I have ever seen. Somebody smack FIDE upside their collective heads.

This is so awful. The 27 yo man evidently took it upon himself to tear down a Pride flag outside her shop, and when she came out and confronted him about it, he shot her in the head and killed her.

Groomers are real. The right grooms people into hating others for simply existing. For just acknowledging existence.

I honestly wonder if taking kids who live with same sex couples are next

If children learning about LGBTQ (even just that they exist) and being exposed to (and 'forced to accept) LBGTQ is so bad isn't it just a hop, skip and a jump to the absolute evil of children actually living with LGBTQ people?

Fist ban gay adoption moving forward, then go after already adopted kids first then maybe even biological kids?

Hell, not even parents, what about straight parents and a LGBTQ sibling? Parents forced to choose?

You can keep your gay teen or your 8 year old not both

I hope to God that is far fetched and ridiculous but who can say these days?
    This is how it starts
    ===============
    Whether it is school runs or doctors’ visits, Maria Silvia Fiengo and Francesca Pardi have always shared in the raising of their four children. But in recent months – after Italy’s rightwing government began cracking down on the listing of same-sex parents on birth certificates – the life they have forged together has been thrust into uncertainty.

“We’re a bit worried. You never know what is going to happen,” said Fiengo. “Our children have had two parents from the very first moment they were dreamed of and brought into the world. But we’re not protected by any law.”

Following the birth of their children, she and Pardi spent years battling for legal recognition, butting up constantly against the absence of a national law setting out parental rights for same-sex couples.

In 2018, the city council of Milan offered up a lifeline, telling them it would begin listing parents of the same gender on their children’s birth certificates.

“It was really beautiful,” said Fiengo. “It gave us strength, our family felt more secure.”

Across the country, a handful of councils were quietly doing the same, transforming the lives of same-sex parents. Their elation, however, was shortlived. This year the Italian government, led by Giorgia Meloni – a hardline traditionalist who has long reiterated her view that a child should only be raised by heterosexual parents – began demanding that councils register only the biological parent.

The mayor of Milan, Giuseppe Sala, said he had little choice but to comply. In the northern city of Padua, the state prosecutor went further, demanding that the 33 birth certificates issued to the children of lesbian couples be changed to remove the name of the non-biological mother. A court is expected to rule on the request later this year.

As rights campaigners warned that the move had plunged hundreds of families in Italy into legal limbo, protests sprung up across Italy and aroundthe world and opposition politicians slammed the move. “These children are being orphaned by decree,” said Alessandro Zan, a gay politician with the Democratic party. “This is a cruel, inhumane decision.”

The European parliament called on the Italian government to reconsider its stance. What was taking place in Milan was a “direct breach of children’s rights” set out by the UN, MEPs noted in an amendment to a 2022 report, and “part of a broader attack against the LGBTQI+ community in Italy”.…….

“It’s a nightmare for the parents as well as for their children,” he said. “The second of the two fathers or mothers cannot do practically anything, from taking the child to the doctor or picking them up from school, without the authorisation of the legal parent.”

At times even this is not enough. “Even with authorisation, for example, they can’t make healthcare decisions related to saving the child’s life.”……..

Last edited:
    This is so awful. The 27 yo man evidently took it upon himself to tear down a Pride flag outside her shop, and when she came out and confronted him about it, he shot her in the head and killed her.

I had a conversation with a friend of mine 2 weeks ago about why we don't display pride flags or other obvious gay identifying iconography around our home or on our cars. If this happens in California, just imagine what could happen in Texas were the numbers of angry bigots is much higher.

The fear and intimidation is real, and it causes many of us to self isolate and silence ourselves so that we're not the next target. It's also why we seek out safe spaces with other LGBTQ+ people. But a lot of those spaces are quickly diminishing due the fear and rhetoric cause by bigots/Republicans.

Until a large majority of straight people start to see and speak out against the bigots and their hatred, tactics and language, this will continue. It seems however, that most would rather stay oblivious or just don't care and would rather stay silent and live next to the bigot instead of an LGBTQ+ person or family.

I'm thankful for the fue that do, like Mrs. Carleton did. But it shouldn't cost them their lives to do so.

I had a conversation with a friend of mine 2 weeks ago about why we don't display pride flags or other obvious gay identifying iconography around our home or on our cars. If this happens in California, just imagine what could happen in Texas were the numbers of angry bigots is much higher.

The fear and intimidation is real, and it causes many of us to self isolate and silence ourselves so that we're not the next target. It's also why we seek out safe spaces with other LGBTQ+ people. But a lot of those spaces are quickly diminishing due the fear and rhetoric cause by bigots/Republicans.

Until a large majority of straight people start to see and speak out against the bigots and their hatred, tactics and language, this will continue. It seems however, that most would rather stay oblivious or just don't care and would rather stay silent and live next to the bigot instead of an LGBTQ+ person or family.

I'm thankful for the fue that do, like Mrs. Carleton did. But it shouldn't cost them their lives to do so.

I hate to read something like this. It's criminal as far as I'm concerned that any member of the LGBTQ community should have to live in fear.

This is where they are going. It started with LGBTQ books, but it has now moved on:

Another article on this
    ================
    “It was only a matter of time.”

That was my first thought upon hearing of the callous and hateful murder of Laura Carleton, the owner of Mag Pi Clothing in Cedar Glen, California. A straight woman, Carleton was fatally shot by a man who confronted her over an LGBTQ+ Pride flag which was displayed at her shop. Her assailant was later killed by police.

This was not the first time someone had taken issue with Carleton’s Pride flag. As The Independent has previously reported, friends of Carleton say that the flag has been ripped down multiple times. Every time, she simply replaced the flag with another, refusing to cave in to the hateful bigots who vandalized her shop.

The inevitability of something like this happening was apparent to anyone paying attention. Following last year’s deadly homophobic shooting at a Colorado gay club, Scientific Americanreported on the linkbetween rising anti-LGBTQ rhetoric on the right and violence against LGBTQ people.

Around the same time, the UCLA Williams Institute released a startling statistic: LGBT people are nine times more likely to be a victim of a hate-crime than non-LGBT people. This was followed by a document from the Department of Homeland Security in May warning that violent threats against the LGBTQ community are increasing in both number and intensity.

In June, a joint report by the Anti-Defamation League and GLAAD found more than 350 anti-LGBTQ incidents across 46 states and the District of Columbia. These included acts of online harassment and vandalism, which Carleton’s murder – after multiple incidents of vandalism – shows can and do escalate into incidents of physical violence.……..

This is where they are going. It started with LGBTQ books, but it has now moved on:

The state appointed superintendent of the Houston "Independent" School District already did that a several Houston schools and replaced them to Discipline Centers. That's the distopian future they want. And they especially want to do it at inner city/minority schools.

This is the logical conclusion of the hatred being spread against LGBTQ people. It’s called stochastic terrorism and every source that fed this guy’s hatred has blood on its hands.

It's complete BS you are treated that way. You deserve kindness, respect, and decency.

I speak out when I recognize it, but I don't know if I recognize it enough.

We're close to this step:
    1692676804432.jpeg

It's complete BS you are treated that way. You deserve kindness, respect, and decency.

I speak out when I recognize it, but I don't know if I recognize it enough.

Thank you, but I don't want to give the impression that I'm constantly harassed or attacked here where I live in San Antonio. Most of the people I encounter probably assume I'm straight just because there isn't a lot about me that immediately stands out as gay. Both my style and demeaner is pretty straight appearing, probably owed to the environment I grew up in and that I spent many years in a heterosexual marriage. San Antonio is a also a moderate/liberal city and most are accepting.

However, I do live in Texas and you hear and see the hard right rhetoric all around you from the state level on down. The politics in this state make it explicit that they aren't here to welcome or protect LGBTQ+ people and that they'd rather us gone. I also hear and know of people who's personal property has been vandalized because they LGBTQ+ or who have been attacked and harassed. So there's this overall environment that is explicit that's telling you that your aren't welcomed and won't be protected in the state that you live in, work in, pay taxes in and have contributed to your community for 20+ years in. If you dare step out and make yourself known, you'll be attacked for it. It doesn't make me completely hide in fear, because I'm just not going to do that. But I do make the choice to not identify to random people that I'm gay just so I don't have to deal with the headache of having my property vandalized when I'm not aware and so that me and my family are not killed by some random wackjob with a gun (which are everywhere here). If I hadn't just bought a house 2 years ago and interest rates weren't so high, I'd seriously be thinking about moving to another state.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom