All Things LGBTQ+ (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

I think she is only talking about breast reductions. An apples to apples comparison. I believe these are the only surgical procedures done on minors and they are rare, as she notes.

Full transition surgeries aren’t performed on minors.
    Wouldn't transition surgeries involve mastectomies and not breast reductions?

No, I don’t think they would consider those mastectomies. Those would generally involve removing far more tissue plus lymph nodes and even sometimes part of the chest wall and are done for malignancies. Far more disfiguring than what I would think they would do if they just want to reduce the size of the breasts.

I believe they would.
    What are you basing that on?

Also, I’m curious why it matters to you. I can assure you that a surgery to reduce the size of breasts wouldn’t be as disfiguring as most mastectomies. So who cares what they call it? It would be surgically far more akin to a breast reduction than a mastectomy. Men have breast tissue you know. They wouldn’t need to remove all tissue as they do for malignancies I wouldn’t think. Not to mention as I said all mastectomies would involve removal of some lymphatic tissue and sometimes muscle of the chest wall.

What are you basing that on?

Also, I’m curious why it matters to you. I can assure you that a surgery to reduce the size of breasts wouldn’t be as disfiguring as most mastectomies. So who cares what they call it? It would be surgically far more akin to a breast reduction than a mastectomy. Men have breast tissue you know. They wouldn’t need to remove all tissue as they do for malignancies I wouldn’t think. Not to mention as I said all mastectomies would involve removal of some lymphatic tissue and sometimes muscle of the chest wall.

I am making a comment on something that was posted here: I don't think comparing breast augmentation with breast reduction is apples to apples, and that trans surgery would likely involve mastectomies, not just breast reductions. One thing that's removed in a mastectomy is the milk producing tissue, and I think (I may be wrong) that transmen would like that removed.

That's it.

BTW, I don't think mastectomies remove muscle tissue off the chest wall.

I am making a comment on something that was posted here: I don't think comparing breast augmentation with breast reduction is apples to apples, and that trans surgery would likely involve mastectomies, not just breast reductions. One thing that's removed in a mastectomy is the milk producing tissue, and I think (I may be wrong) that transmen would like that removed.

That's it.

BTW, I don't think mastectomies remove muscle tissue off the chest wall.
    Men have milk ducts, and yes, I can assure you that some mastectomies involve removing muscle tissue from the chest wall depending on the location and severity of the malignancy.

Men have milk ducts, and yes, I can assure you that some mastectomies involve removing muscle tissue from the chest wall depending on the location and severity of the malignancy.
    And if there is no malignancy? Just use the benign sounding "breast reduction"?
    Men males of the species may have milk ducts, but men don't habitually lactate. I'd think that transitioning individuals would like to make sure they don't lactate, and achieve a look as close to a male of the species as possible.

But we are going into a rabbit hole here. I am simply questioning the good doctor's comparison of the procedures, and the verbiage used. There's something to be said about the claimed number of surgeries, and why were they performed too, but...

And if there is no malignancy? Just use the benign sounding "breast reduction"?
    Men males of the species may have milk ducts, but men don't habitually lactate. I'd think that transitioning individuals would like to make sure they don't lactate, and achieve a look as close to a male of the species as possible.

But we are going into a rabbit hole here. I am simply questioning the good doctor's comparison of the procedures, and the verbiage used. There's something to be said about the claimed number of surgeries, and why were they performed too, but...
    You know how to make sure you don’t lactate? Don’t get pregnant and deliver a baby. No trans person has surgery to prevent lactation.

And, yes, absolutely, the surgery for trans people is an elective cosmetic surgery. That’s why I compared it to a breast reduction rather than a mastectomy - which is associated with serious disease.

It’s just that simple. 🤷‍♀️. They are both major surgeries.

No, I don’t think they would consider those mastectomies. Those would generally involve removing far more tissue plus lymph nodes and even sometimes part of the chest wall and are done for malignancies. Far more disfiguring than what I would think they would do if they just want to reduce the size of the breasts.
    I did not quote the entire exchange, and will ask, Is this an pro/con argument against transition procedures or a just a discussion/debate about terms? :) My impression is that for a sexual transition, the would be called a breast reduction, because as describe mastectomies remove more than just the fatty tissue of the breasts.

Honestly, I’m not sure what it is, lol.

After looking it up, the surgery for trans people seems to be called a “top surgery”. I was comparing it to a breast reduction surgery because they are both elective surgeries and at least partly cosmetic. But as I said they (mastectomies, breast reduction, top surgeries) are all major surgeries.

I did not quote the entire exchange, and will ask, Is this an pro/con argument against transition procedures or a just a discussion/debate about terms? :) My impression is that for a sexual transition, the would be called a breast reduction, because as describe mastectomies remove more than just the fatty tissue of the breasts.
    As I stated, I am simply questioning the good doctor's comparison of the procedures, and the verbiage used. I think we all can agree that adding a foreign object into the body is not the same as removing flesh/organs from the body, and that surgeries that remove tissue that doesn't regenerate are not reversible, no?

There is more than one type (or levels, if you will) of mastectomy.

As I stated, I am simply questioning the good doctor's comparison of the procedures, and the verbiage used. I think we all can agree that adding a foreign object into the body is not the same as removing flesh/organs from the body, and that surgeries that remove tissue that doesn't regenerate are not reversible, no?

There is more than one type (or levels, if you will) of mastectomy.
    I‘m no expert, but my impression there is a differentiation between what would be labeled as a breast reduction versus mastectomy, although I agree that they are similiar in nature, one elective and one as a method to curb disease, but also because the mastectomy can extend beyond the removal of just tumors and fatty breast tissue.

I’ll kind of ;) concede the point that a breast reduction leaves some breast, while I imagine the goal of trans-surgery (proper term?) is to remove most of the fatty tissue, yet maybe not. Hopefully someone with direct knowledge of the procedure will chime in.

Note, as an elederly male, I have a more fatty breast tissue than I would prefer to have. My point being that the goal d trans-surgery (female to male) would be to achieve a male approximation which would still include some fatty breast tissue as I imagine it. :unsure:

Last edited:
    Top surgery has some simularities with mastectomies done for cancer treatment, but they aren't exactly the same. Both deal with removal of breast tissue, for cancer treatment it's to remove cancerous tissue, and for gender dysphoria it's done for appearance. Often with a full mastectomy more breast tissue is removed than is typically done in a top surgery for a FtM.

There are different types of top surgeries, and it will depend on the doctor and the patient and the goals trying to be achieved. If you're wondering if it's "reversible" -- I think you should know that some post-op trans men can still lactate if they want to after they get pregnant. I think it's also useful to note that some transwomen can lactate as well, given appropriate hormones (it's not always successful, but it is possible). So, a post-op trans male who decides to detransition could develop more breast tissue (depending on how much was originally removed), and retain lactation functionality, BUT it will not go back to what it was before - to look like it did before would require more cosmetic surgery. It is surgery and should be done with appropriate consideration and care.

In a recent viral Reddit post, an LGBTQ+ art teacher from a small town school asked people if he was wrong for removing a child from his class due to reports from the child's parents of "inappropriate behavior in the classroom."

The teacher explained that he had recently received a new student in his class who had previously been homeschooled, adding that the student had begged his parents to let him go to a "normal school" with his friends.

Although the teacher admitted that the student is a "great kid," there's still one issue – he doesn't ask for permission to use the bathroom during class.

He noted that this isn't a problem for him, but it's a problem for the strict school administration. "I'm not the strict ‘everything needs to be my way' kind of teacher," he wrote, "but administration has a very strict policy for students outside of classrooms during class periods."

In an effort to address the issue and get the student to follow the rules, the teacher requested a meeting with his parents, who seemed like "fine enough people" at first.

During the meeting, however, the parents noticed a photo on the art teacher's desk of himself (28m) and his husband (31m). He responded honestly when they asked about it, as it had never been an issue before.

Later, the teacher learned that the parents called the school to report him for "inappropriate behavior in the classroom," despite the fact that he never talks about his husband in class.

"I am there to teach," he explained, "not preach."

He mentioned that the school administration supported him, but the parents continued to send "rude" emails to his school email account, demanding that their child not be "exposed" to his "disgusting lifestyle."

Consequently, the teacher no longer felt comfortable having the new student in his class and decided to remove him to avoid being called a "groomer" or accused of corrupting "innocent minds with [his] filth."

OP stated in an update that he'd consult with a lawyer since the parents requested that he be fired and replaced by the school.

"I may be the a**hole here," admitted the teacher, referring to his decision to remove the child from the art class that he loved. ............

In a recent viral Reddit post, an LGBTQ+ art teacher from a small town school asked people if he was wrong for removing a child from his class due to reports from the child's parents of "inappropriate behavior in the classroom."

The teacher explained that he had recently received a new student in his class who had previously been homeschooled, adding that the student had begged his parents to let him go to a "normal school" with his friends.

Although the teacher admitted that the student is a "great kid," there's still one issue – he doesn't ask for permission to use the bathroom during class.

He noted that this isn't a problem for him, but it's a problem for the strict school administration. "I'm not the strict ‘everything needs to be my way' kind of teacher," he wrote, "but administration has a very strict policy for students outside of classrooms during class periods."

In an effort to address the issue and get the student to follow the rules, the teacher requested a meeting with his parents, who seemed like "fine enough people" at first.

During the meeting, however, the parents noticed a photo on the art teacher's desk of himself (28m) and his husband (31m). He responded honestly when they asked about it, as it had never been an issue before.

Later, the teacher learned that the parents called the school to report him for "inappropriate behavior in the classroom," despite the fact that he never talks about his husband in class.

"I am there to teach," he explained, "not preach."

He mentioned that the school administration supported him, but the parents continued to send "rude" emails to his school email account, demanding that their child not be "exposed" to his "disgusting lifestyle."

Consequently, the teacher no longer felt comfortable having the new student in his class and decided to remove him to avoid being called a "groomer" or accused of corrupting "innocent minds with [his] filth."

OP stated in an update that he'd consult with a lawyer since the parents requested that he be fired and replaced by the school.

"I may be the a**hole here," admitted the teacher, referring to his decision to remove the child from the art class that he loved. ............

The teacher isn't the butt crevasse. He's just looking out for his career and livelihood. Poor kid having to grow up with parents like that.

The teacher isn't the butt crevasse. He's just looking out for his career and livelihood. Poor kid having to grow up with parents like that.
    Imagine being that child, being in an art class you love, and having your parents start a very targeted and public smear campaign against the teacher. There aren’t enough face palm emojis for that ish.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom