All Things LGBTQ+ (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
    Reaction score
    Didn't really see a place for this so I thought I would start a thread about all things LGBTQ since this is a pretty hot topic in our culture right now

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/sup...y-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

• The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.
    • Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

I will admit, I was hopeful for this decision by the SCOTUS but I was surprised by the unanimous decision.

While I don't think there is anything wrong, per se, with same sex couples adopting and raising children (I actually think it is a good thing as it not an abortion) but I also did not want to see the state force a religious institution to bend to a societal norm.

Then I don't really get the issue with having trans players. Your whole point (and that of the schools) is moot if you believe that.
    I'd think that by now it'd be understood that the issues are:
    1. The biological/physiological differences that put female athletes at a disadvantage competing against biological males
    2. Trans people are allowed the use of substances (even banned substances) to be able to compete in sports, whereas non-trans people are not.

Also, it's not a strawman, that situation could easily occur (and likely does) in all these sports that people are concerned with the physical safety of girls because of trans players.

I am not going to say it's never happened, but what overwhelmingly happens is that the physiologically inferior individual, whether trans or not, doesn't get to compete, because that individual can't even make a team.

1. The biological/physiological differences that put female athletes at a disadvantage competing against biological males
    2. Trans people are allowed the use of substances (even banned substances) to be able to compete in sports, whereas non-trans people are not.

I am not going to say it's never happened, but what overwhelmingly happens is that the physiologically inferior individual, whether trans or not, doesn't get to compete, because that individual can't even make a team.

For months I've been chuckling over the constant misuse of the word "biological" that hordes of homophobic individuals who've been camping on this issue have been making.

Dictionaries are for looking up words to see if they're the correct word to use for a given context. Few of them have been taking the time or trouble to look that word up before misusing it.

Tying the word "biological" to either "male" or "female" makes no sense whatsoever, and even less sense when that misnomer is then tied to this topic.

"Biological" means kinship, a member of a persons family, related to someone by blood. Or microorganisms of many kinds. A biological contaminate, a toxin.

As a noun it means a therapeutic substance, a drug, derived from microorganisms.

In that context "genetic" is one of the words which I suppose could to be tied to "male" or "female" to make some sense for this senseless topic.

This conversation just goes in circles. We were talking about safety of other players while competing with trans athletes, not competitive advantage. Either way, there are acceptable ways to safeguard both that don't include excluding trans players.

I don't know what substances you're referring to or what the rules are around those substances.

I'll just be honest too, after so many years, I'm indifferent to people complaining about this. So much of it is in bad faith and just bigoted. It's impossible to separate the legitimate arguments from the pseudo-science bigoted crapfest. I've had my fill of people attacking the LGBTQ+ community. I'm tired of it all.

Christian fascist are going to christian fascist no matter the country. fork Uganda!

============
    Uganda passed legislation that compels life imprisonment for being LGBTQ and the death penalty for gay sex with a minor amid a widening crackdown on sexual minorities in the Christian-majority nation in East Africa.

The new bill, which is likely to be challenged in court, prohibits advocacy for LGBTQ rights and mandates people to report the community to law enforcement. Same-sex intercourse is already criminalized in the country and rights group said the latest law expanding restrictions would violate fundamental rights of expression, privacy and nondiscrimination.

“In our country, we will have our morals, we will protect our children,” Musa Ecweru, a Ugandan minister said in Parliament to loud cheers when it passed Tuesday. “We are going to reinforce the law enforcement officers to make sure that homosexuals have no space in Uganda.”
    ===============

A large majority of transgender adults say that transitioning has made them more satisfied with their life, according to a new survey.

The survey conducted by the Washington Post and KFF is the largest nongovernmental survey of transgender adults that uses random samplings.

It asked more than 500 transgender adults questions around their childhood, family and other life experiences.

The questionnaire found that a majority of transgender adults are happier after transitioning, with 78% of respondents noting that living as a gender outside the one assigned at birth has increased their satisfaction in life, reported the Washington Post.

More than four out of 10 adults noted that they are “a lot more” satisfied.

“Living doesn’t hurt any more,” said TC Caldwell of Alabama to the Post. “It feels good to just breathe and be myself.”

While overall rates of life satisfaction among trans adults were lower than the general population, many survey participants said that was largely due to discrimination facing trans people.

“You always have that fear of what’s going to happen when you tell somebody you’re transgender, especially these days,” said Tim McCoy, a Syracuse resident. “That definitely affects one’s quality of life. It’s a constant stress.”……..

This conversation just goes in circles. We were talking about safety of other players while competing with trans athletes, not competitive advantage. Either way, there are acceptable ways to safeguard both that don't include excluding trans players.
    I took your comment as a general comment and not specific to the situation with the school forfeiting the game, but safety (or lack thereof) would be part of competitive disadvantages.
    I don't know what substances you're referring to or what the rules are around those substances.

I'll just be honest too, after so many years, I'm indifferent to people complaining about this. So much of it is in bad faith and just bigoted. It's impossible to separate the legitimate arguments from the pseudo-science bigoted crapfest. I've had my fill of people attacking the LGBTQ+ community. I'm tired of it all.
    Yeah, if one doesn't agree 100% with #transwomenarewomen, one's a bigoted, bad faith actor, who is attacking the lgbtq community.

For months I've been chuckling over the constant misuse of the word "biological" that hordes of homophobic individuals who've been camping on this issue have been making.

Dictionaries are for looking up words to see if they're the correct word to use for a given context. Few of them have been taking the time or trouble to look that word up before misusing it.

Tying the word "biological" to either "male" or "female" makes no sense whatsoever, and even less sense when that misnomer is then tied to this topic.

"Biological" means kinship, a member of a persons family, related to someone by blood. Or microorganisms of many kinds. A biological contaminate, a toxin.

As a noun it means a therapeutic substance, a drug, derived from microorganisms.

In that context "genetic" is one of the words which I suppose could to be tied to "male" or "female" to make some sense for this senseless topic.
    I am glad you are amused.
    What language/term would you like me to use to tell you males of the species cannot transform into females of the species (or vise versa)?

Although, I don't know which dictionary you are using, but if I type biological into my search bar, I get the following:
    Of, relating to, caused by, or affecting life or living organisms

If I look up biology, I get:
    The science of life and of living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, origin, evolution, and distribution. It includes botany and zoology and all their subdivisions.

I am glad you are amused.
    What language/term would you like me to use to tell you males of the species cannot transform into females of the species (or vise versa)?

Although, I don't know which dictionary you are using, but if I type biological into my search bar, I get the following:
    Of, relating to, caused by, or affecting life or living organisms

If I look up biology, I get:
    The science of life and of living organisms, including their structure, function, growth, origin, evolution, and distribution. It includes botany and zoology and all their subdivisions.
    Thanks for asking. I would prefer in the future that you use Guinean anytime you've chosen to forcefully insist upon me that which is not true, is true. (or vise versa)

We should be able to agree that trans women are not the same as cis women, and trans men are not the same as cis men.

We aren't doing anyone a favor by denying something so obvious, and people shouldn't be labeled transphobic for acknowledging something so basic.

We should be able to agree that trans women are not the same as cis women, and trans men are not the same as cis men.

We aren't doing anyone a favor by denying something so obvious, and people shouldn't be labeled transphobic for acknowledging something so basic.

Okay.

We should also all be able to accept trans woman and men for who they are and agree that trans woman and trans men shouldn't be discriminated against. People shouldn't be labeled as radical for believing in the basic human dignity of another person. But apparently that's not possible.

Okay.

We should also all be able to accept trans woman and men for who they are and agree that trans woman and trans men shouldn't be discriminated against. People shouldn't be labeled as radical for believing in the basic human dignity of another person. But apparently that's not possible.

I don't see why people think it's mutually exclusive.

Someone concerned about sports fairness or even sharing locker rooms, can have those opinions without it being transphobic.

There is so much talking past each other on this topic.

To me, the issue with trans athletes is that our sample size is too small to base any decisions on. We hear about the outliers who dominate cis-female competitions but nothing from those who don't. Surely they exist?

If we're going to err on the side of freedom, as Americans should, we'd be best served by letting transwomen and transmen compete in sports as their current/claimed/identified/whatever gender for a while, then determining if it really is an unfair advantage to have been a male for X years before transitioning.

World Athletics Council acknowledges that there is limited research on elite transgender athletes​

At the center of the issue is whether transgender women athletes have a physical advantage over other female competitors, even after lowering their testosterone levels. But there is limited scientific research involving elite transgender athletes — which the council also acknowledged.

World Athletics Council said that they have conducted their own research over the past decade and that they found there can be an impact in performance. Several international groups including the Human Rights Watch have called the council's evidence flawed.

Olympic Runner Caster Semenya Wants To Compete, Not Defend Her Womanhood

LIVE UPDATES: THE TOKYO OLYMPICS

Olympic runner Caster Semenya wants to compete, not defend her womanhood

Even without strong evidence of an advantage, the council has scrutinized the performance of athletes such as South African runner Caster Semenya, the world's fastest woman in the 800 meters. Semenya, who was raised female and is legally female, was born with XY chromosomes and has a naturally high testosterone level.

Last edited:
    And now a Dolly Pardon / Miley Cirus song RainbowLand and kermit the frog Rainbow connection are being banned from a school becuase they "could" be considered contriversal... he right fights "cancel culture" but use it more than ever... they are morons..I guess next they'll figure out how to ban the word Rainbow altogether. Maybe they can nuke Rainbows to get rid of them like hurricanes...lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom