2024 GOP Presidential Race (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

So, I don’t know a lot about him, but I did read that he was close to the only R willing to say the right thing about the Trump indictment: wait for the facts to come out, let the legal system work.

Democrats coalesced behind a moderate person who knows how to compromise, regardless of political “juice” or a magnetic speaking style, will Rs be adult enough to do the same?
    Hutchinson won’t get the nomination and has no real political future at this stage of his life, so he has nothing to lose. My speculation is the party wants somebody like him in the race early who will really go at Trump and start normalizing attacks on his character, and hopefully clear the way for one of the other Trump acolytes to gain momentum. Trump is a Republican problem but party leaders can’t come out and own that.

Hutchinson won’t get the nomination and has no real political future at this stage of his life, so he has nothing to lose. My speculation is the party wants somebody like him in the race early who will really go at Trump and start normalizing attacks on his character, and hopefully clear the way for one of the other Trump acolytes to gain momentum. Trump is a Republican problem but party leaders can’t come out and own that.
    I agree, but they could own it if they were ethical, moral human beings, just saying.

CNN anchor Pamela Brown spoke with political analysts S.E. Cupp and Errol Louis on Monday for reactions to former Arkansas Gov. Asa Hutchinson (R) announcing his bid for the 2024 GOP presidential nomination.

Brown played a clip from Hutchinson on ABC News’s This Week and asked for Cupp to react.

“This is one of the most unpredictable political environments that I’ve seen in my lifetime. And so my message of experience, of consistent conservatism, of hope for our future and solving problems that face Americans, I think that that resonates,” Hutchinson says in the clip from Sunday.

“He thinks that resonates. Do you think it indeed resonates with Republican voters?” Brown then asked.

“Well, as they say in the South. ‘Bless his heart.’ Yes. You know, I know it’s a Hutchinson. Hutchinson wants to talk about policy. He talked there about good conservatism, public service. I mean, those sound adorable in the landscape of today’s Republican primary voters,” Cupp replied, adding:

This speaks to me, but I am in the minority of Republican primary voters. That might be a better general election message, but he can’t get through a primary with these voters. And that message, a message of hope, problem-solving. That’s sort of the opposite of the destructive chaos that a lot of the Republican voters want right now. I am with him in lamenting the state of affairs, but I don’t think he’s going to be the one to drag the party back to, as Errol points out, the past.
    “Well, what you’re describing is so interesting, because then take this edge also this side of Hutchison’s pitch, because unlike other presidential, other Republican contenders have come out really quickly to defend Donald Trump after the indictment came out, the information of the charges came out.

Hutchison, though not so much, he says, because he is now facing criminal charges, Donald Trump should drop out of the race, should bow out of the race. Let me play what else, why he says that,” Brown replied before playing another clip of Hutchinson.

“But I’ve always said that the people don’t have to step aside from public office if they are under investigation. But if it reaches the point of criminal charges that have to be answered, the office is always more important than a person,” Hutchinson said of Trump.

“And when I heard that, I was wondering what does taking this position does for Asa Hutchinson?” Brown asked.

“You know, it identifies him as, again, a voice from the past, you know, a different concept of public service than what we’ve seen in the last, you know, tumultuous decade. It also, I think, sort of identifies him as a pretty good general election running mate. You know, he’d be, he’d look pretty good on a DeSantis ticket or something like that,” Louis replied, adding:

And somebody who’s, you know, competent, grounded in values can speak to the conservative wing of the Republican Party and also acceptable to middle-of-the-road and independent voters. All of those things are great. The problem, of course, is it won’t get you through a Republican primary debate, much less a Republican primary.

That this “analyst” floats the idea that Hutchinson, who appears to have a moral standing and ethical values, would agree to be a running mate with someone like DeSantis makes me want to ignore everything else about that exchange.

Defund the FBI
    Duh!
    Trump is out of control :rolleyes:

Did you watch the full clip? He was talking about how he (and the country) didn't have a care in the world and the towers changed his outlook, the world changed, he talked about the honor of serving your country. he was asked where he was on 9-11, said he didn't know, he 'thinks' he had just graduated college and then repeated the answer he already gave

He still failed to answer the question we all can - "where were you on September 11th?"

Failing to see what's dishonest about it

If I ask someone where they were and they reply with "that was when I lost my innocence" or "that was when I decided to join the military", or "that was the day I knew I had to grow up" I'm just wondering why you're avoiding saying where you were and what you were doing
    Yes I did watch the entire clip. The Lincoln Project continues in it's dishonest & despicable attacks just like when Rick Wilson made an add comparing war veteran Max Cleland to Bin Laden.

Like I said, he was talking about "where he was in his life bc he had described how it had led him to give up the possibility of a high-paying job to serve his country"

He was then asked a very simple specific question after that, "Where were you on Sept 11th?"

DeSantis absolutely, deliberately and intentionally chose not to answer that question

Last edited:
    This article goes into great detail how the DeSantis advisors plan to advise Florida's governor in his national campaign. The main take away for me is that they will have him spend more time in the "Winner Take All" states with a ton of delegates. The campaign will not hang their hat on the Iowa Caucus.
    Here is the article chock full of specifics....making it seem like a sure thing that DeSantis will run...

DeSantis is dead in the water and he’s too stupid to even know it yet, imo. He will never win the presidency.

DeSantis is dead in the water and he’s too stupid to even know it yet, imo. He will never win the presidency.
    THAT definitely is YOUR "opinion".
    He certainly isn't "stupid" and it is way too soon to declare him "dead in the water".
    Let's see his poll numbers when we are 3 weeks beyond when he chooses to enter the race.

THAT definitely is YOUR "opinion".
    He certainly isn't "stupid" and it is way too soon to declare him "dead in the water".
    Let's see his poll numbers when we are 3 weeks beyond when he chooses to enter the race.

He's not as stupid as Trump but he is probably more dangerous.....after Disney is done with his BS, he may not be electable anywhere.....why is it that 20 years ago, most R's would cringe at a Trump or DeSantis type (wannabe tin pot dictators) but now they embrace them, it must be hard for you to realize that.....not just a river and all type hard....

He's not as stupid as Trump but he is probably more dangerous.....after Disney is done with his BS, he may not be electable anywhere.....why is it that 20 years ago, most R's would cringe at a Trump or DeSantis type (wannabe tin pot dictators) but now they embrace them, it must be hard for you to realize that.....not just a river and all type hard....
    I think the electorate has changed compared to 20 years ago.
    Yours is a very complex question that is above my pay grade.
    I'll throw out random stuff though...
    Way more voters today than 20 years ago have grown up with internet on their phones and entertainment always available.
    US citizens regardless of party loyalty are simply different than 20 years ago.
    This manifests itself in a "different" type of candidate.
    @SFIDC3 is natually focusing on casting the Republican voters in a bad light.
    Yet 20 years ago, would "the squad" have been elected and then in the next election would they have been re-elected?

MAYBE they would have. IDK

Those are representatives from local House Districts, nothing like running for national office. And yes, there have always been liberals elected from various districts, I don’t see them actually breaking any rules or norms. Let me specify - like refusing to concede a race they clearly lost, or calling their political opponents “satanic” “pedophiles” or “groomers”. Yet, modern Rs do this all the time now.

As for DeSantis - he is simply too radical to win a national election, IMO. He has extreme views on abortion, LGBTQ people, free speech, government interference in private companies and people’s lives, education. Oh and extreme views on freedom of the press. He’s not very good at following the Constitution, imo.

Add to that his thin skin: he cannot take a punch - and you have someone entirely unsuited for office.

I didn’t even address his rampant cronyism and allegations of corruption.

Here is an example of DeSantis that shows he is unelectable on a national scale. This is completely petty on his part and does nothing to help any of his constituents. This may make the MAGA base excited, but everyone else will want to steer clear of this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom