2024 GOP Presidential Race (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) has overtaken former President Trump in a hypothetical 2024 match-up for the GOP presidential nomination, according to a new Yahoo News-YouGov poll.

The nationwide poll, released Thursday, shows DeSantis with a 5-point lead over Trump, with 47 percent of registered voters backing the governor compared to 42 percent for the former president.

The latest results, taken in the first few days of December, are a stark turn from a mid-October poll that found Trump ahead by 9 percentage points, with 45 percent to DeSantis’s 36 percent.

Question is does Trump actually see the writing on the wall, or does he ignore and simply plow ahead?

should make for some face-cringing political theater here soon from the Republicans. Many of which will HAVE to pick a side.

Question is does Trump actually see the writing on the wall, or does he ignore and simply plow ahead?

should make for some face-cringing political theater here soon from the Republicans. Many of which will HAVE to pick a side.
    I think we already know the answer to that one.. he's going to plow ahead and if he is in fact losing to DeSantis when it matters he'll claim everything's rigged against him.

The real question is going to be in that situation, does he run as an independent in order to screw the Republicans who've just betrayed him?

I lean towards he will.

It won’t matter much if DeSantis polls ahead of Trump as long as there are a slew of primary candidates. Trump will win with his 40-45% of the R base. The rest will split the normal R vote. Just like 2015-2016. I don’t think Trump will fall much below 40%, those are the cult members.

I hope I’m wrong, I guess we will see.

For the love of ....well everything....please, please plow ahead (and I think he will) and please destroy the R party....it needs to be torn down and rebuilt into something resembling the 80's and 90's version....I'll still mostly vote Democrat but at least get back to reasonable and rational....2 reasonable and rational choices are better than one....

As long as the campaign money keeps rolling in, Trump will keep campaigning. It's that simple. R, D or Independent, it doesn't make any difference. Campaign finance is such a can of worms and so very ripe for grifting, it's basically free money. It wouldn't surprise me if that's how he's been paying his bills since 2015.

I think we already know the answer to that one.. he's going to plow ahead and if he is in fact losing to DeSantis when it matters he'll claim everything's rigged against him.

The real question is going to be in that situation, does he run as an independent in order to screw the Republicans who've just betrayed him?

I lean towards he will.

I also think there remains a real question of whether DeSantis can actually run against Trump. It's easy to lead in polls. But can Ronny D go toe to toe with Donny from Queens on the rally circuit and on the debate stage. Trump, for all of his dramatic character flaws, is well suited for campaigning. He's aggressive with opponents, he has no shame, and he can win the race to the bottom that sadly often plays well in this format.

I would caution against anyone assuming DeSantis will be the GOP nominee until DeSantis actually shows he can hack it. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be Trump but I think there's a long way to go here.

I also think there remains a real question of whether DeSantis can actually run against Trump. It's easy to lead in polls. But can Ronny D go toe to toe with Donny from Queens on the rally circuit and on the debate stage. Trump, for all of his dramatic character flaws, is well suited for campaigning. He's aggressive with opponents, he has no shame, and he can win the race to the bottom that sadly often plays well in this format.

I would caution against anyone assuming DeSantis will be the GOP nominee until DeSantis actually shows he can hack it. That doesn't necessarily mean it will be Trump but I think there's a long way to go here.
    Definitely, not trying to put the cart before the horse there.

It will be very interesting to see how the other candidates handle Trump this go-around as they all did so poorly with it last time.

Definitely, not trying to put the cart before the horse there.

It will be very interesting to see how the other candidates handle Trump this go-around as they all did so poorly with it last time.

Yeah, I think it's going to be entertaining at minimum. I think on one end of the spectrum, we could see DeSantis rise to the occasion and vanquish Trump - leaving Trump to figure out if he has any alternative (e.g. running independent) which he could choose to do for no other reason than spite. That would be entertaining if nothing else.

On the other end, we could see Trump pulling off a comeback and simply beating DeSantis down in the campaign - such that the GOP establishment will be forced (again) to recognize and Trump could win the nomination, notwithstanding all of his baggage and potential indictments by then. That would be a real mess.

More likely would be a path where DeSantis mostly avoids Trump, outperforms him in debates and simply wins the primaries - leaving Trump to sulk but nothing more. I suppose there's still a chance for someone else to appear though it doesn't seem likely at this point.

Sounds about right. Currently the two models in my head both point towards a Democrat victory: 1) Trump is the nominee and, given his general horribleness that increases daily, he loses for failure to secure moderates/independents; 2) DeSantis (or some other Trump acolyte) wins the nomination, Trump is enraged, and takes a not so trivial amount of hardcore Trumpanzees with him thus costing the GOP the election in key battleground states.

These outcomes become more likely if the Democrats manage to nominate someone more appealing than Biden. That said, the Democrats almost surely lose control of the Senate unless Manchin, Brown and Tester can all pull off improbable wins in deep red states.

Sounds about right. Currently the two models in my head both point towards a Democrat victory: 1) Trump is the nominee and, given his general horribleness that increases daily, he loses for failure to secure moderates/independents; 2) DeSantis (or some other Trump acolyte) wins the nomination, Trump is enraged, and takes a not so trivial amount of hardcore Trumpanzees with him thus costing the GOP the election in key battleground states.

These outcomes become more likely if the Democrats manage to nominate someone more appealing than Biden. That said, the Democrats almost surely lose control of the Senate unless Manchin, Brown and Tester can all pull off improbable wins in deep red states.

I know his age is an issue, a big one. But given everything Biden has accomplished to date and the environment he's had to work in, I'm surprised so many people are still dead set against him running for a second term. He's really been a good president. Why it's so hard for so many to just accept that? It's like once a certain perception takes places it's nearly impossible to vanquish or even change.

I know his age is an issue, a big one. But given everything Biden has accomplished to date and the environment he's had to work in, I'm surprised so many people are still dead set against him running for a second term. He's really been a good president. Why it's so hard for so many to just accept that? It's like once a certain perception takes places it's nearly impossible to vanquish or even change.

I feel a similar way, unless some new young obviously fit up and coming nominee comes up rather quickly for democrats? Biden will win the nomination, he has done a better job than I thought considering the messes he has had to deal with....

I feel a similar way, unless some new young obviously fit up and coming nominee comes up rather quickly for democrats? Biden will win the nomination, he has done a better job than I thought considering the messes he has had to deal with....
    He just needs the bottom not to drop out of the economy in the next two years.. no one seems to really have any idea what the fork they're talking about when it comes to the economy and what's going to happen next so we'll see.

Politics is perception. Rightly or wrongly, his age, the Hunter laptop thing, and various other issues people perceive as missteps will be held against him. Better to go with a (relatively) younger and cleaner slate. No shortage of quality potential replacements like Kelly, Warnock, Polis (governor of Colorado), or even Jon Tester should he determine he has zero chance of winning reelection in Montana.

Politics is perception. Rightly or wrongly, his age, the Hunter laptop thing, and various other issues people perceive as missteps will be held against him. Better to go with a (relatively) younger and cleaner slate. No shortage of quality potential replacements like Kelly, Warnock, Polis (governor of Colorado), or even Jon Tester should he determine he has zero chance of winning reelection in Montana.

Yeah, I understand that. But the "effectiveness" of a leader seems like such and undervalued quality today. No person is going to be perfect, and being younger is no panacea for an effective leader. Always searching for some ideal candidate that appeals to all is a pointless search.

I wasn't even a Joe Biden fan when he was running for President. I thought the party and country would be much better off with somebody else. But his effectiveness as president in actually accomplishing substantial and tangible outcomes has won me over big time. It's honestly hard for me to think of another president who has done so much, with so little to work with and obstacles/headwinds larger than almost any other president has faced.

Why is that that, that perception of Biden hasn't taken hold when it actually reflects reality?

Yeah, I understand that. But the "effectiveness" of a leader seems like such and undervalued quality today. No person is going to be perfect, and being younger is no panacea for an effective leader. Always searching for some ideal candidate that appeals to all is a pointless search.

I wasn't even a Joe Biden fan when he was running for President. I thought the party and country would be much better off with somebody else. But his effectiveness as president in actually accomplishing substantial and tangible outcomes has won me over big time. It's honestly hard for me to think of another president who has done so much, with so little to work with and obstacles/headwinds larger than almost any other president has faced.

Why is that that, that perception of Biden hasn't taken hold when it actually reflects reality?
    Because we sadly live in an age where public opinion is driven by social media.

It's mainly that he has a stutter, and some amount of age related cognitive decline that's completely normal in a 80 year old. You are correct about his policies. He delivered on a lot of campaign promises, more then Obama, with the thinnest of margins.

I sometimes think he shouldn't run because of his age. However, the incumbency advantage is real, and shouldn't be thrown away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom