2024 GOP Presidential Race (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

Christie has a path, and he's really the only one who has a path that doesn't rely on Trump being incarcerated or otherwise ruled ineligible, but he'd really have to thread the needle.

To win he would have to use every opportunity basically to prosecute Trump for his crimes, to aggressively argue why Trump is in fact guilty of what he's been accused of, and how his actions have shown him to be both anti-American and anti-conservative values (which would also allow him to undermine the Trump apologists also running).

I think a large part of the Republican party has turned deaf ears to the charges against Trump, so Christie has the opportunity to expose them to information that rightwing media has insulated them from. If he can make the case to Republican voters that the charges against Trump are not only fair but also warranted -- that Trump knew he lost and took unprecedented, unconstitutional and illegal steps to manipulate his supporters and and try to retain power -- he might be able to get through to some people and move the needle.

He would still need to toss off some Hunter Biden comments, or talk about inflation or illegal immigration, to show that he's not a Democrat or a RINO -- but he could also go after Jared Kushner and his $2 billion deal with the Saudis (and mention how he put his father in jail), in promoting himself as anti-corruption and a supporter of the rule of law. But centrally he would have to go all in on Trump as a liar and deceiver who has undermined American democracy like no one before him.

I'm not sure if he's willing to go as far as he needs to, but that's his path.

Christie has a path, and he's really the only one who has a path that doesn't rely on Trump being incarcerated or otherwise ruled ineligible, but he'd really have to thread the needle.

To win he would have to use every opportunity basically to prosecute Trump for his crimes, to aggressively argue why Trump is in fact guilty of what he's been accused of, and how his actions have shown him to be both anti-American and anti-conservative values (which would also allow him to undermine the Trump apologists also running).

I think a large part of the Republican party has turned deaf ears to the charges against Trump, so Christie has the opportunity to expose them to information that rightwing media has insulated them from. If he can make the case to Republican voters that the charges against Trump are not only fair but also warranted -- that Trump knew he lost and took unprecedented, unconstitutional and illegal steps to manipulate his supporters and and try to retain power -- he might be able to get through to some people and move the needle.

He would still need to toss off some Hunter Biden comments, or talk about inflation or illegal immigration, to show that he's not a Democrat or a RINO -- but he could also go after Jared Kushner and his $2 billion deal with the Saudis (and mention how he put his father in jail), in promoting himself as anti-corruption and a supporter of the rule of law. But centrally he would have to go all in on Trump as a liar and deceiver who has undermined American democracy like no one before him.

I'm not sure if he's willing to go as far as he needs to, but that's his path.

"I'm not sure if he's willing to go as far as he needs to, but that's his path."

I don't think it matters how far he (Christie) goes, if Trump's base hasn't abandoned him by now they aren't going to.

"I'm not sure if he's willing to go as far as he needs to, but that's his path."

I don't think it matters how far he (Christie) goes, if Trump's base hasn't abandoned him by now they aren't going to.
    It's a narrow path for sure. He's not going to convert too many Trump supporters, but if he can depress their turnout while consolidating the never-Trump vote, it could give him a shot. That didn't work in 2016, but Trump wasn't facing four indictments.

They haven't heard anyone make the case that Trump is an incompetent coward before.

The Base doesn't care about racism or insurrections or indictments. But they might care about abject cowardice in the face of crisis.

Bolding mine. that is just straight scary
    =========================

Mandatory stop-and-frisk. Deploying the military to fight street crime, break up gangs and deport immigrants. Purging the federal workforce and charging leakers.
    Former president Donald Trump has steadily begun outlining his vision for a second-term agenda, focusing on unfinished business from his time in the White House and an expansive vision for how he would wield federal power. In online videos and stump speeches, Trump is pledging to pick up where his first term left off and push even further.

Where he earlier changed border policies to reduce refugees and people seeking asylum, he’s now promising to conduct an unprecedented deportation operation. Where he previously moved to make it easier to fire federal workers, he’s now proposing a new civil service exam. After urging state and local officials to take harsher measures on crime and homelessness, Trump says he is now determined to take more direct federal action.

“In 2016, I declared I am your voice,” Trump said in a speech last month at the Conservative Political Action Conference and repeated at his first 2024 campaign rally in Waco, Tex., a few weeks later. “Today, I add: I am your warrior. I am your justice. And for those who have been wronged and betrayed, I am your retribution.”

Trump’s emerging platform marks a sharp departure from traditional conservative orthodoxy emphasizing small government, which was famously summed up in Ronald Reagan’s first inaugural address: “Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem.” Trump, by contrast, is proposing to apply government power, centralized under his authority, toward a vast range of issues that have long remained outside the scope of federal control.

Experts called some of Trump’s ideas impractical, reckless, self-defeating, potentially illegal and even dangerous. Some of Trump’s specific proposals are admittedly underdeveloped, such as a plan for building futuristic cities from scratch on unused federal land, which has been compared to projects in repressive regimes such as Saudi Arabia............

They haven't heard anyone make the case that Trump is an incompetent coward before.

The Base doesn't care about racism or insurrections or indictments. But they might care about abject cowardice in the face of crisis.
    Your post leads me to share the following:
    Trump has intimidated numerous candidates with his mean rhetoric and name calling.
    Chris Christie will not be intimidated and he will come out fighting with his own mean spirited rhetoric and loads of sarcasm.
    If anyone can turn the intrenched Trump base away from him...it'll be Chris Christie.

The Base doesn't care about racism or insurrections or indictments. But they might care about abject cowardice in the face of crisis. But they might care about abject cowardice in the face of crisis.

"But they might care about abject cowardice in the face of crisis."

Maybe, but we already knew that Trump was a coward.

Did a Queens Podiatrist Help Donald Trump Avoid Vietnam?​

Dec. 26, 2018
    The office where Dr. Larry Braunstein practiced podiatry in Jamaica, Queens. His daughters say he came to Donald J. Trump’s aid with a diagnosis of bone spurs during the Vietnam draft.

The office where Dr. Larry Braunstein practiced podiatry in Jamaica, Queens. His daughters say he came to Donald J. Trump’s aid with a diagnosis of bone spurs during the Vietnam draft.Dave Sanders for The New York Times
    In the fall of 1968, Donald J. Trump received a timely diagnosis of bone spurs in his heels that led to his medical exemption from the military during Vietnam.
    For 50 years, the details of how the exemption came about, and who made the diagnosis, have remained a mystery, with Mr. Trump himself saying during the presidential campaign that he could not recall who had signed off on the medical documentation.
    Now a possible explanation has emerged about the documentation. It involves a foot doctor in Queens who rented his office from Mr. Trump’s father, Fred C. Trump, and a suggestion that the diagnosis was granted as a courtesy to the elder Mr. Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/26/us/politics/trump-vietnam-draft-exemption.html

It's a narrow path for sure. He's not going to convert too many Trump supporters, but if he can depress their turnout while consolidating the never-Trump vote, it could give him a shot. That didn't work in 2016, but Trump wasn't facing four indictments.

Well, I'd like it. Anyone but Trump.

We knew that, but it was mostly a non-story in the media. I think him chickening out of debates is a different thing and other Republicans are going to use it against him. Whether it works or not, idk.
    Yeah, well, I don't see not joining in on the debate as being chicken. His political advisors, I would assume, think he has more to gain and less to lose by not debating. The other candidates are going to try and make that decision look like a mistake, or look like being chicken, etc.

Yeah, well, I don't see not joining in on the debate as being chicken. His political advisors, I would assume, think he has more to gain and less to lose by not debating. The other candidates are going to try and make that decision look like a mistake, or look like being chicken, etc.
    Keep in mind Trump has a record of calling others chicken for precisely this sort of thing, so that could very well hurt him.

One of Iowa’s top evangelical leaders has told The Independent that Republicans and the press are writing off Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’s presidential campaign too soon.

Bob Vander Plaats, the chief executive of the Family Leader, is one of the leading voices in heavily evangelical Iowa. Earlier this year, the Family Leader hosted a forum with many of the Republican candidates for president with former Fox News host Tucker Carlson serving as the moderator.

He has had a track record of betting on the right horse before the Iowa caucus. In 2008, he served as the state chairman for Mike Huckabee’s run for president when the former Arkansas governor won the caucus. In 2012, he endorsed Rick Santorum before he eked out a win against Mitt Romney and endorsed Sen Ted Cruz before the Texas Republican beat Donald Trump in the first contest in the GOP race.

Mr Vander Plaats said in the same respect, Mr DeSantis has time to triumph despite numerous negative headlines.…….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom