2024 GOP Presidential Race (5 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Many of Trump's endorsed candidates did not do well on Nov. 8th.
    Gov. Ron DeSantis DID do well.
    He won convincingly.
    Yet in this OP's opinion, Donald Trump is an egomaniac who is seemingly incapable of putting "Party over Self"
    Trump has ZERO chance of being elected our next president.
    In my opinion, if Trump would just shut up and go away (fat chance of that)...but "if" Trump did that, Gov. Ron DeSantis would have a CHANCE to be a formidable candidate for President in 2024.
    Here is an interesting article on this topic...
    What do any of you think re. Trump vs DeSantis?

I am not the smartest person, but whats the deal with Twitter links? with post # 2156 (by Superchuck) the tweet is embedded. I can view it and i can click on it and it will bring me to Twitter .com/whatever.
    But with #2158 (MT15), it is Just a link. If i click on it, it brings me to x .com/whatever.
    Apaarently my company has blocked X .com but not Twitter .com. Why are there Twitter .com links and X .com links?
    I have noticed this a lot since it has changed to X

I am not the smartest person, but whats the deal with Twitter links? with post # 2156 (by Superchuck) the tweet is embedded. I can view it and i can click on it and it will bring me to Twitter .com/whatever.
    But with #2158 (MT15), it is Just a link. If i click on it, it brings me to x .com/whatever.
    Apaarently my company has blocked X .com but not Twitter .com. Why are there Twitter .com links and X .com links?
    You'll have to ask Elon that. They keep screwing it up, and worse than before. Musk buying Twitter has to rank up there in terms of worst corporate acquisitions in history. I'd be surprised if he doesn't bankrupt the company.

He really should have left the team in place, hired a proper CEO and then let the CEO run the company and stop posting nonsense ok his account. A man and his toys tho.

Yeah, I have no idea. But anything I post from Twitter is now just a link. I even emailed myself a tweet to see - and it’s just a link. Part of the destruction of Twitter if I had to guess.

Student “nicknames” require parental consent in Florida, and people are annoyed, “Shame teachers just can’t focus on teaching”​

Students in Florida schools are “required to develop a form to obtain parental consent to use any deviation or nickname from the child’s legal name in school.”

Student “nicknames” require parental consent in Florida, and people are annoyed, “Shame teachers just can’t focus on teaching”​

Students in Florida schools are “required to develop a form to obtain parental consent to use any deviation or nickname from the child’s legal name in school.”

So... forced deadnaming of trans kids.

So... forced deadnaming of trans kids.
    when i was in school, i knew many kids that didn't go by their birth names. Its gonna be a hassle for teachers when you have kids who go by Trey and chuck and tony and Liz and Dave and Mike... Personally, if this affected my child, i would sue the first time i found out they let someone be called Mike instead of Micheal without a permission slip.
    Its also gonna be a hoot with foreign kids with names that teachers have a hard to pronouncing and the child is ok with the teacher shortening it, but now, nope..

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has jumped to second place among GOP presidential candidates, according to a recent poll of New Hampshire voters.

Christie ranked a point above Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis but remains a distant runner-up to former President Donald Trump, behind by 40 points, in the poll by Emerson College.

A month ago, Christie told USA TODAY he was confident in his New Hampshire chances, despite polling fourth at the time among GOP candidates and 17 points behind DeSantis in a Granite State Poll.

“I don't think I’ll ever be ahead in a poll in New Hampshire, until election night. But then I’ll win on election night in New Hampshire,” Christie told USA TODAY in July. “And everyone will be completely shocked.” ..............

Three things sum up the essence of Mike Pence, the former vice-president of the US: the first is that he reportedly calls his wife “Mother”. He has denied this, but he is creepy enough that the rumours have never been definitively refuted. The second is that he refuses to eat a meal alone with any woman who isn’t his wife. The third – which may be linked to the first two items – is that he doesn’t have a chance in hell of becoming president.

Ever since announcing his campaign for the 2024 nomination, Pence has been polling in the single digits. But you don’t need to look at the polls to realise that the 64-year-old’s chance of being the Republican nominee, let alone the next president of the US, are nonexistent – you just need to look at him.

It may be a cliche, but passing the “would I have a beer with them?” test is still an important component of getting elected as president. Vibes matter. And Pence? He has all the vibes of a resurrected corpse of a 17th-century Puritan minister.

He has the politics of one as well. Pence, who is an evangelical Christian, is a reactionary zealot who spent his vice-presidency kowtowing to Donald Trump. He is the most anti-abortion mainstream presidential hopeful out there, supporting a federal ban on abortions at just six weeks and a ban on abortion even when pregnancies aren’t viable. He has spent his political career fighting to undermine LGBTQ+ rights and once argued that homosexuality was “learned behaviour”. He has downplayed the climate crisis and wants to ramp up fossil fuel use.

The good news is that Pence will never be president. The bad news is, rather than being a genuine presidential run, his campaign feels like a rehabilitation tour. One that seems to be working. And why wouldn’t it? There is nothing that certain factions of the US media seem to love more than whitewashing the reputations of odious politicians.

Look at George W Bush: he has gone from being an accused war criminal to being portrayed as a lovable grandpa and latter-day hero. In March, for example, on the 20th anniversary of the illegal invasion of Iraq, the New York Times published a piece about all the overlooked good stuff that Bush did, with the headline “In This Story, George W Bush Is the Hero.” It was a fascinating way to mark the anniversary of a war that displaced approximately 9 million people, directly killed at least 300,000 civilians, destabilised the Middle East, and unleashed devastating environmental contamination that is causing birth defects in Iraqi children born long after Bush announced that his mission had been accomplished.

Pence doesn’t even need to wait 20 years for the “hero” treatment to begin. After all, he is the guy that, during the Capitol insurrection on 6 January 2021, bravely told Trump: “Look, mate, I’m not sure all the votes for Joe Biden were fake. I don’t think you did win the election.”

During his appearance at the Iowa state fair last week, Pence played up the image of himself as the saviour of US democracy and a lot of the media seemed to buy into it. “Pence is having a moment. It’s all about Trump and Jan 6,” a Politico headline read. “In Iowa, Mike Pence delivers a powerful message against Trump,” a Washington Post piece opined............

RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A national political movement that could offer an independent presidential ticket in 2024 as an alternative to major-party nominees said Monday it has now won ballot access in 10 states, after North Carolina election officials formally granted official status to a “No Labels” affiliate.

The State Board of Elections voted 4-1 on Sunday to recognize the No Labels Party as an official North Carolina party following a successful petition effort. It joins four other recognized parties with which voters can now choose to be registered and field candidates.

The new North Carolina party is linked to a national No Labels effort that lists a wide array of mostly centrist political leaders backing it. They include ex-North Carolina GOP Gov. Pat McCrory, U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., and former Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman, a former Democrat who became an independent.

No Labels is poised to offer an independent ticket for president and vice president if Democrats and Republicans “select unreasonably divisive presidential nominees.” North Carolina, usually considered a battleground state, has 16 electoral votes at stake.

The other states are Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Nevada, Oregon, South Dakota and Utah..........

There is a "hard news" interview going on Fox News as I compose this post. The guest made a point that I want to pass along here....

There is a "hard news" interview going on Fox News as I compose this post. The guest made a point that I want to pass along here....
    His point was that DeSantis is making a big mistake trying to out MAGA Trump with the 37% of the voters who say they will vote for Trump. Instead, he and others should speak in such a way as to win over the 63% of the voters who are not reflected in that 37%.

Last edited:
    His point was that DeSantis is making a big mistake trying to out MAGA to the 37% of the voters who say they will vote for Trump. Instead, he and others should speak in such a way as to win over the 63% of the voters who are not reflected in that 37%.
    It's lazy politics. DeSantis really hasn't done anything other than try to out-Trump Trump. He doesn't know or understand nuance and how to have thoughtful positions on a given campaign issue.

His point was that DeSantis is making a big mistake trying to out MAGA to the 37% of the voters who say they will vote for Trump. Instead, he and others should speak in such a way as to win over the 63% of the voters who are not reflected in that 37%.
    Well that won't work for DeSantis because his actions as FL Gov outweigh his words by gigatons!

It's lazy politics. DeSantis really hasn't done anything other than try to out-Trump Trump. He doesn't know or understand nuance and how to have thoughtful positions on a given campaign issue.
    yea, DeSantis of all people could never out Trump Trump. He just doesn't have the personality for it. Saying it doesn't come across the same with out the personality. he can make all the same points, even more over the top, but with his dry personality, it doesn't come across the same way.

yea, DeSantis of all people could never out Trump Trump. He just doesn't have the personality for it. Saying it doesn't come across the same with out the personality. he can make all the same points, even more over the top, but with his dry personality, it doesn't come across the same way.
    Yeah, for all of Trump's faults, he has never been boring. DeSantis is a wallflower in comparison.

Yeah, for all of Trump's faults, he has never been boring. DeSantis is a wallflower in comparison.

I've said this many times before, but I just don't get Trump’s appeal on any level. I even used to watch The Apprentice when it first came out and never found him to be particularly charismatic. I watched it more for the contestants, and that was before I knew much of anything about him.

Everything people find entertaining about him, I find to be boorish, egotistical, ridiculous and bombastic. The most repellent thing about him is all the sycophants around him.

I used to think that it must be a white thing, because I don't get the appeal of televangelist either and that's the closest thing I can compare to Trump with a lot of added stupidity and belligerence, but he seems to appeal to Latin people in certain parts of the country.

I guess there are just somethings I'll never understand. Trump’s appeal is at the top of the list.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom