2020 Presidential Debate - Round 1 (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Some people don't see it in this way and will watch it to see what the candidates say and how they say it. There's still at least a few million undecided voters, enough to sway the election either way.

Link?

J/K

You may be right - I doubt that highly... I don't think there is a sane soul in America that hasn't already decided what they are doing (red / blue / screw you), and I certainly don't think a televised pissing match between 2 guys with 40+ years of public exposure (of mostly lies, deceit, and contradiction) under their belts is going to change any minds... call me cynical I guess. I don't see either guy laying out any specific groundbreaking policies, or a detailed plan to implement them.... It's going to to be an "old guy" pie slinging contest.... at best.

Last edited:
    Is this "debate" really going to change anyone's mind on either side, or move anyone that's undecided (if there even is such a thing at this point)? Serious question...^ Besides the entertainment value, and sheer morbid curiosity... and the sound bites that will be used later and taken out of context... I'm not sure what the point is.

In past elections it may have had some value... In this one... Everyone has already literally and figuratively buried their heads in the sand.

I think it's a fair question. But I think for some it might help them make up their mind. For example, let's say you're a center right voter who voted Trump in 2016 but is really not happy with how his presidency has gone and you're just kind of sick of the circus. But you have hesitations about whether Biden has shifted left or about if he's just too old for the gig.

You might want to see how Biden performs in this environment. We haven't seen much of him in public so a solid performance by Biden might be a show of confidence that some need.

Conversely, if someone is leaning Trump but just wants to see how Biden performs and he doesn't do a good job, that might seal that vote for Trump.

I think we all know the deal with Trump. Biden is the one who can win or lose votes in these debates. But I think there are votes for him to win with a poised, professional presentation.

Some people don't see it in this way and will watch it to see what the candidates say and how they say it. There's still at least a few million undecided voters, enough to sway the election either way.

I think it's more than that. There are far less undecided voters this year than in 2016. I think Trump has to pull voters away from Biden to have a clear shot of winning (legally).

Last edited:
    I think it's a fair question. But I think for some it might help them make up their mind. For example, let's say you're a center right voter who voted Trump in 2016 but is really not happy with how his presidency has gone and you're just kind of sick of the circus. But you have hesitations about whether Biden has shifted left or about if he's just too old for the gig.

You might want to see how Biden performs in this environment. We haven't seen much of him in public so a solid performance by Biden might be a show of confidence that some need.

Conversely, if someone is leaning Trump but just wants to see how Biden performs and he doesn't do a good job, that might seal that vote for Trump.

I think we all know the deal with Trump. Biden is the one who can win or lose votes in these debates. But I think there are votes for him to win with a poised, professional presentation.

I'm sorry.... I just see such a huge chasm between these 2 men's platforms (whether perceived or otherwise) - That I am not sure how anyone gets swayed by a televised version of "The geriatric rap battles at the Shelter"

I think anyone that leans right would never be able to cast a vote for what the current Dem party is pushing, and conversely I don't see how anyone that leans left would ever be able to pull a lever for what Trump has turned the Rep party into.... and the true voters in the middle (that don't vote for party block policies - but rather the person) are just going to be like @#$&^em all. JMO

Link?

J/K

You may be right - I doubt that highly... I don't think there is a sane soul in America that hasn't already decided what they are doing (red / blue / screw you), and I certainly don't think a televised pissing match between 2 guys with 40+ years of public exposure (of mostly lies, deceit, and contradiction) under their belts is going to change any minds... call me cynical I guess. I don't see either guy laying out any specific groundbreaking policies, or a detailed plan to implement them.... It's going to to be an "old guy" pie slinging contest.... at best.
    How you see it is very clear, but like I said not everyone sees it the way that you do.

Some will be watching it to see and hear for themselves what each candidate says, with whatever biases they do or don't have. I think that's better than relying on others to tell them what the candidates did or didn't say.

Unless someone is ignoring the campaigns altogether, I don't see the point in ignoring the debates. For whatever the debates are worth or not worth, they are part of the campaign process and they really aren't a major deviation from the rest of the campaign process.

Last edited:
    Is this "debate" really going to change anyone's mind on either side, or move anyone that's undecided (if there even is such a thing at this point)? Serious question...^ Besides the entertainment value, and sheer morbid curiosity... coupled with the sound bites that will be used later and taken out of context... I'm not sure what the point is.

In past elections it may have had some value... In this one... Everyone has already literally and figuratively buried their heads in the sand.
    Not everyone is as stubborn or crusty as us. haha. Many people are on the fence, or first time voters.

It also can potentially energize people to actually show up and vote. That's probably a bigger deal.

However, I'm using this opportunity to have my daughter (14) watch this. We were talking about how she doesn't know much about current events, and how we can fix that (by watching the news), and she was like, "there's another election?" I told her, yup.. every 4 years. She didn't know much about Biden, so I thought this would be a good opportunity for her to learn a bit and see what judgements she makes.

I think it's more than that. There are far less undecided voters this year than in 2020. I think Trump has to pull voters away from Biden to have a clear shot of winning (legally).
    True, but there are still enough undecided voters in enough states to sway the electoral college vote either way.

Dead serious question... How many undecided voters do you know personally....?

I am definitely at zero going either way.

This is literally a Trump camp talking point leading up to the debate. :covri:

I’m totally sure that all these accounts just happened to tweet about these talking points at exactly the same minute this morning. 🙄

Not sure. I have like 700 friends on Facebook. I'd say about 50-100 post political stuff pretty often. Some daily, to the point of having to silence them (both sides). It's just annoying. So, I know where they stand. But, outside of that, I'm not sure about the vast majority.

I personally know less than .00000009% of the population of the country, so who I know personally isn't really an accurate indicator of anything.

On the other hand, the average of polls by states shows that, as of last week, there are enough undecided voters in enough states to swing the electoral college either way.

I didn't ask about polls or social media... Or to answer my question with a question...

I simply asked - How many undecided voters do you know personally? Ask them how many they know...

I know this is anecdotal... It's still pertinent to the discussion (especially if enough people answer honestly)

The number is close to zero... you can rationalize this how you want... but I think everyone has their minds made up at this point, and if you are "undecided" as of tonight's' "debate" - you may have been in a coma for the last 4-6 years.

Last edited:
    I try to actively avoid talking politics with everyone IRL, so I have no idea how many undecideds I know. But I can see how many respond to polls as undecided. Why do you disregard that piece of data?

I try to actively avoid talking politics with everyone IRL, so I have no idea how many undecideds I know. But I can see how many respond to polls as undecided. Why do you disregard that piece of data?

For the same reason you actively avoid talking politics with everyone IRL.... and the same reason no one will answer my question directly.

Debates rarely move the needle anyways- unless a candidate falls on their face. I don’t see that happening to Biden and you can’t get anybody who is going to vote for Trumplethinskin to change.....

I will watch just to see Trump turn red when Biden calls out his taxes and that he isn’t rich

I didn't ask about polls or social media... How many undecided votes do you know personally? Ask them how many they know...

The number is close to zero... you can rationalize how you want... but I think everyone has their minds made up at this point. and if you are "undecided" at this point you may have been in a coma for the last 4-6 years.
    Actually, rationalizing is ignoring the evidence from several polls and going with one's own very limited personal experiences.

How many people do you know personally? Now divide that by 330 million.

Making rash decisions and judgements about why those who are undecided are still undecided is irrational and shows bias.

Personally, I know quite a few people who are still undecided. In all of those cases, they really don't want to vote for Trump, but they are having a tough time convincing themselves to vote for a non-Republican.

But like I said, that is in no way an accurate indicator of anyone or anything other than the people I personally know.

I didn't ask about polls or social media... Or to answer my question with a question...

I simply asked - How many undecided votes do you know personally? Ask them how many they know...

I know this is anecdotal... It's still pertinent to the discussion (especially if enough people answer honestly)

The number is close to zero... you can rationalize this how you want... but I think everyone has their minds made up at this point, and if you are "undecided" as of tonight's' "debate" - you may have been in a coma for the last 4-6 years.

I think there’s a difference between undecided and fully committed. I know at least two people that are not fully committed. And my social circles are pretty small these days, so it’s actually a fair percentage.

I think if they had to vote today they would vote - but they’re not committed. It’s possible that events and performance between now and Nov. 3 could change their mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom