With his appeal denied, DOJ asks court to instruct Steve Bannon to report to prison (Update: Bannon ordered to prison by July 1) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    By a unanimous jury in district court in DC in July 2022, Bannon was found guilty of contempt of Congress for failing to respond to his lawful and served subpoena from the January 6 investigation. He was sentenced to four months and last week, the DC Circuit denied his appeal . . . which Bannon's attorney had previously described as "a bulletproof appeal". Though he theoretically could get relief from the SCOTUS, the high court refused Peter Navarro's writ in a nearly identical case in April.

With his appeal exhausted, DOJ moved the district court today to instruct Bannon to report to prison.

Last edited:
    Do tell what special rules allows Garland to sidestep a subpoena(nobody is above the law except Democrats) after he put 2 Trump supporters in jail for the same thing he did.

I don't expect a specific response to that question. Can you prove me wrong?

I already stated why. The subpoena isn't a valid one.

Because Garland already complied with their requests for documents related to the case. The transcripts are typically what's provided and considered sufficient. It's basically strictly partisan Republican overreach.
    They subpoenaed the audio for the interview. The transcript was already released. There's no reason to not release the audio except that it's very embarrassing for Biden.

Biden wants the audio hidden for polical purposes

Republicans want the audio released for political reasons.

Even an AG can't just decide which subpoenas he will cooperate with or ignore. It looks even worse after Garland just jailed 2 Trump supporters over defying subpoena.

Can anyone name anyone else that has been jailed for defying a subpoena besides Navarro and Trump?

They subpoenaed the audio for the interview. The transcript was already released. There's no reason to not release the audio except that it's very embarrassing for Biden.
    Have you heard the audio? How do you know it's embarrassing? You're just assuming here. It might be, but then it might not be.
    Possibly. Wouldn't surprise me.
    Clearly.
    Even an AG can't just decide which subpoenas he will cooperate with or ignore. It looks even worse after Garland just jailed 2 Trump supporters over defying subpoena.
    I've explained why I think the subpoena doesn't apply. We won't agree. If the subpoena isn't valid, then one isn't like the other 2. Ultimately a court/judge would have to rule on the validity of the subpoena.
    Can anyone name anyone else that has been jailed for defying a subpoena besides Navarro and Trump?
    Not sure why it's relevant, but I haven't done any research on this, so no idea.

Biden, Democrats & the media: "Nobody is above the law"

Apparently Garland is above the law since they won't prosecute him for defying a subpoena.

Who else has been prosecuted for ignoring a congressional subpoena besides Navarro and Bannon?
    brother they just did what they want and it had nothing to do with the law. Just because you can make crap up does not mean it's the law. The same stupid group who tried to impeach a president on past actions Knowing that's not how it works. the same group that said they would weaponize the government to benefit Trump. these are the guys you're trying to say are enforcing the law?

The President exercised executive privilege on the audio. Once that was done, Garland couldn't release the audio if he wanted to. Only way it happens now is through the courts, which the Republicans said they would do. By law (through executive privilege), the tape can't be released.

The President exercised executive privilege on the audio. Once that was done, Garland couldn't release the audio if he wanted to. Only way it happens now is through the courts, which the Republicans said they would do. By law (through executive privilege), the tape can't be released.
    I'm aware of that. It's ironic after jailing two Trump supporters that Garland gets special treatment with his subpoena after Biden claimed executive privilege.

The White House already admitted to altering the transcript. It must make Biden look very bad because we already have the transcript. It's not as if it's classified and the transcript was never released.

The Biden DOJ breaks another norm by jailing two Trump supporters eventhough nobody has been jailed for that since 1948.

I'm aware of that. It's ironic after jailing two Trump supporters that Garland gets special treatment with his subpoena after Biden claimed executive privilege.

The White House already admitted to altering the transcript. It must make Biden look very bad because we already have the transcript. It's not as if it's classified and the transcript was never released.

The Biden DOJ breaks another norm by jailing two Trump supporters eventhough nobody has been jailed for that since 1948.
    Link to assertion the WH altered the transcript.

Bannon was heavily involved with the Big Lie and fomenting insurrection.

Gym Jordan has yet to comply with a congressional subpoena thus illustrating Republicans are, by definition, hypocrites.

Why do you hate America?

How pray tell is Garland getting special treatment if by law he can't release the audio except by court order? Produce the court order and he'll release it.

How pray tell is Garland getting special treatment if by law he can't release the audio except by court order? Produce the court order and he'll release it.
    Because all he had to do was release the audio because we already got the transcript. Biden didn't claim executive privilege until after the subpoena was issued for the audio so it was obviously done to protect Garland from the subpoena. The audio must be really bad.

Nobody has been prosecuted for ignoring a congressional subpoena since 1948 and Garland just prosecuted two Trump supporters and jailed them.

Do you see any problem with the ignoring subpoenas only being prosecuted on Trump supports in the last 76 years?

Because all he had to do was release the audio because we already got the transcript. Biden didn't claim executive privilege until after the subpoena was issued for the audio so it was obviously done to protect Garland from the subpoena. The audio must be really bad.
    I don't know the precise timing. Regardless, the executive privilege renders the subpoena moot until they get a court order. What happened before is irrelevant at this point. As for the audio being bad, we don't know that. Regardless, if the audio matches the transcript, this will have been a giant waste of everyone's time by the Republicans in the House. Nothing really new there tho.
    Nobody has been prosecuted for ignoring a congressional subpoena since 1948 and Garland just prosecuted two Trump supporters and jailed them.
    He did it legally, and the courts agreed. Whatever happened before is irrelevant.
    Do you see any problem with the ignoring subpoenas only being prosecuted on Trump supports in the last 76 years?
    Not really. Boo hoo I guess.

Be specific why it isn't valid.
    Because of Executive Privilege was asserted and it serves no legislative purpose.

The timing makes no difference at all. Once executive privilege is asserted the DOJ is out of the picture.

The House GOP clowns are actually the ones who broke precedent because nobody has EVER been held in contempt of Congress before for complying with Executive Privilege.

You don’t have to like it, but these are the facts. You have been telling whoppers in most of your posts on this topic. I doubt you will address these facts however, because just like your orange hero you don’t deal in facts. Just lies, innuendo and character assassination.

Last edited:
    Don’t you think you should also mention that nobody before the Trump toadies had expressly done what they did? Which is refuse to cooperate AT ALL. Everyone else that I can think of in years past had agreed to provide certain items and then negotiated with Congress on the items they disagreed on.

It wasn’t until Trump that his toadies in and out of Congress just said a big FU to Congress and refused to comply AT ALL. They deserved to get prosecuted.

You never know the whole story because you only read horrible sources who lie to you with every post and you can’t be bothered to do any reading at all about what you post here.

I went ahead and highlighted the parts you clearly missed.

Screenshot 2024-06-16 11.03.53 PM.png

Since you're harping on following the law and applying it consistently, both good things in my opinion, let's look at the laws in play.

In the Garland case, the audio recordings that were subpoenaed were part of an investigation of Biden conducted while Biden is a sitting president acting in his capacity as president. Garland is the acting Attorney General under Biden. That means Biden can assert executive privilege to legally prevent Garland from giving the audio recordings to the committee.

Garland has no legal choice in the matter. He can not give the audio recordings to the committee, that is why Garland is not in violation of the subpoena. Biden asserting executive privilege legally overrode the subpoena. The law was properly followed.

In the cases of Bannon and Navarro, Trump did not assert executive privilege. By law, a subpoena from Congress must be followed, unless the president asserts executive privilege which overrides it. The law was properly followed.

If you want to be angry at someone for Garland not being indicted while Bannon and Navarro got convicted and are going to jail, Trump is the person you should be mad at.

Navarro and Biden are going to jail, because Trump didn't protect either one of them by asserting executive privilege. That raises the obvious question, why didn't Trump assert executive privilege so that Bannon and Navarro wouldn't end up in jail for contempt of Congress?

No president other than Trump has ever incited an insurrection to stop Congress from certifying an election. If that doesn't happen, Bannon and Navarro are never subpoenaed in the first place.

If Trump would have asserted executive privilege, Bannon and Navarro would not have been in contempt of Congress in the second place.

If the 1948 claim is accurate that means that since then, no one has ever defied a subpoena from Congress when a president didn't assert executive privilege. Bannon and Navarro must be the first two people since 1948 that defied a subpoena without the protection of executive privilege.

Why in the world did Trump not assert executive privilege to keep Bannon and Navarro from going to jail?

“There was no formal invocation of executive privilege by [Trump] after personal consideration nor authorization to Mr. Navarro to invoke privilege on his behalf,” Mehta said.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom