Why is Columbus Day still a thing? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
    Reaction score
    Why is Cristoforo Colombo still celebrated?
    He was a flaming racist and slave trader who didn't discover shirt. What's there to celebrate?

@Beach Friends yes. Your need to make so many things about CC comes off as artificial.

The OP gave three reasons why he felt we should no longer celebrate Columbus Day, that Columbus:

1. Was a flaming racist;
    2. Was a slave trader;
    3. Who didn't do shirt.

I think the first two reasons clearly support my position that this is an exercise in trying to "cancel" a historic figure based on modern norms. Furthermore, if the opinion on Columbus was not influenced by the first two reasons, I don't think that anyone would be attempting to argue that he "didn't do shirt."

In fact, I think the last reason is so indefensible that you had to resort to an ad hominem attack.

The dude didn't even land in modern day America. He slaughtered native people ruthlessly and his men brought disease.

Idolizing this day is an absolute joke. But, you know...Merica.

Look...It's high damn time we have one day to celebrate those who were here before us, and, ya know...that were forced off of their land.

Indigenous People's day should be a national holiday.

The OP gave three reasons why he felt we should no longer celebrate Columbus Day, that Columbus:

1. Was a flaming racist;
    2. Was a slave trader;
    3. Who didn't do shirt.

I think the first two reasons clearly support my position that this is an exercise in trying to "cancel" a historic figure based on modern norms. Furthermore, if the opinion on Columbus was not influenced by the first two reasons, I don't think that anyone would be attempting to argue that he "didn't do shirt."

In fact, I think the last reason is so indefensible that you had to resort to an ad hominem attack.

For the record, the "flaming racist" and "slave trader", while factual, were just thrown in for flavor.

Anyway, as I explained to you in post #6 of this thread, the facts are:

Colombo has a holiday because he allegedly discovered America, when as a matter fact he didn't, and as a matter of fact wasn't even the first European to reach the continent.

How forced it is, that they had to translate his name into English.

And before anyone mentions it, no, he didn't discover the Earth was round either.

How did it become a thing in the first place?

Does anyone know the when how and why “Columbus discovered America” even started?

I was in high school in 1992 when there was a huge deal about the 500th anniversary

There were movies and documentaries etc

This is also the first time I remember hearing any Columbus backlash

Some language

How did it become a thing in the first place?

Does anyone know the when how and why “Columbus discovered America” even started?

I was in high school in 1992 when there was a huge deal about the 500th anniversary

There were movies and documentaries etc

This is also the first time I remember hearing any Columbus backlash

Some language

FDR 1955 I think.

I'm all seriousness we should just erase it from all calendars next year and forget about Columbus day.
    Hold up there. I haven't yet given up on the idea that a Columbus Day Sale will be done in true Columbus spirit, meaning I can simply show up and take whatever I want.

Hold up there. I haven't yet given up on the idea that a Columbus Day Sale will be done in true Columbus spirit, meaning I can simply show up and take whatever I want.

Was it worth it for him in the end though? Columbus died of STD's and like most Americans, still not knowing s**t about geography.

Well I can't believe I missed this thread.

It is all about american and Italy relations.

In the late 1800 a gaggle of Italian immigrants were butchered in New Orleans. The president at the time ordered it to be observed one time to help smooth stuff over with all the Italian uproar.

The rest was New York they celebrated it every year after they began pushing for it to be a holiday. It was a real big thing in breaking down the hate for the Italian immigrants of the era. Once it was observed it changed a bunch for Italian immigrants. It gave them a part in the founding of America as Italians then that changed lots for them.

It was just really a party with good food and booze that became a holiday.

Okay, go ahead and not celebrate that glorious holiday. I don't really care one way or another.
    Gonna have to disagree with you on this one Beach. And I usually don’t. Hopefully you’ll show tolerance toward my opposing viewpoint on this subject. 😁

I always thought it was Amerigo Vespucci? Or Leif Eriksson?

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one Beach. And I usually don’t. Hopefully you’ll show tolerance toward my opposing viewpoint on this subject. 😁

I always thought it was Amerigo Vespucci? Or Leif Eriksson?

I don't know who those guys are. One sounds like he makes designer purses, the other like he is a Nordic singer in a boy band who appears in Tiger Beat magazine.

Christopher Columbus, on the other hand may be the single most important person in human history. He brought the Western and Eastern hemispheres together which was a huge benefit to everyone, especially the inhabitants of the New World who were isolated, lonely and in need of Jesus.

I don't know who those guys are. One sounds like he makes designer purses, the other like he is a Nordic singer in a boy band who appears in Tiger Beat magazine.

Christopher Columbus, on the other hand may be the single most important person in human history. He brought the Western and Eastern hemispheres together which was a huge benefit to everyone, especially the inhabitants of the New World who were isolated, lonely and in need of Jesus.

My friend you wouldn’t say that to a Viking’s face. 😁 But that was too funny. Lol
    And quit picking on my ancestors, I have a lot of Viking blood.
    Don’t make me plunder...

How does canceling a holiday for a person that doesn't have a real connection to this country qualify as erasing him from history?
    Is it really history if it is inaccurate to begin with?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom