Why do LGBTQ want to worship the Abrahamic god? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
Reaction score
I ran across a TEDx video by a writer named Blair Imani who claims to be an historian, and professes to be Muslim and queer. Then I looked it up, and found some other videos of talks of Muslims who identify as queer. As per lgbtqnation, the most accurate definition of queer is “a person whose sexual orientation or gender identity falls outside the heterosexual mainstream or the gender binary” , and acknowledge that "as such, all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people fit this queer definition because their sexual orientation and/or gender identity falls outside of different-sex attraction and the traditional male-female binary."

Or, in Islamic words, haram, punishable by death. Which is the same punishment in the Old Testament. Which the New Testament doesn't correct, and still calls homosexuality and abomination (no matter how much apologists want to cry "mistranslated!") punishable in the eternal pit of fire.

So why worship a god who decrees you to be an abomination, and who will punish you for the way he allegedly created you?

JRad

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I’ve wondered the same - I know some Christian sects are softening up, but it‘s difficult for me to reconcile those positions in my head. I guess if religion gives you comfort, then religion gives you comfort.

Sandman

Reaction score
If you look at Christianity from the New Testament only, I think an LGBT person could have no problem worshipping that God. Love thy neighbor, don't judge. I think those two cores are what they look to with their faith. The Old Testament is full of silly things such as not wearing clothes woven of two fabrics (Leviticus). I think they just put the anti-LGBT stuff in the Old Testament along with the two woven fabrics nonsense. Ignore it and stick with the core.

OP
OP
SystemShock

SystemShock

Uh yu ka t'ann
Reaction score
If you look at Christianity from the New Testament only, I think an LGBT person could have no problem worshipping that God. Love thy neighbor, don't judge. I think those two cores are what they look to with their faith. The Old Testament is full of silly things such as not wearing clothes woven of two fabrics (Leviticus). I think they just put the anti-LGBT stuff in the Old Testament along with the two woven fabrics nonsense. Ignore it and stick with the core.
Yes, Christians conveniently forget much of the the Old Testament and ignore Matthew 5:17, but regardless, even if humans don't judge, God does, and homosexuality is still an aberration in both Old and New Testament that lands you in hell.

Sandman

Reaction score
Yes, Christians conveniently forget much of the the Old Testament and ignore Matthew 5:17, but regardless, even if humans don't judge, God does, and homosexuality is still an aberration in both Old and New Testament that lands you in hell.
I agree, but in my experience, this is their justification. They don’t think being gay will send them to hell. Just like other Christians don’t think that their attachment to material things will land them in hell (easier to fit camel through eye of needle type thing), or that adultery, divorce, oral sex, etc. are also sins in the Bible. Basically, the Bible doesn’t mean “my” sin is bad. It is the other guys that will burn.

Redgold

Reaction score
I agree, but in my experience, this is their justification. They don’t think being gay will send them to hell. Just like other Christians don’t think that their attachment to material things will land them in hell
Why are you so obsessed with the idea of hell?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Top Bottom