What's the top issue you'd like to see Biden Admin tackle in first term? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

There are a couple of things that are simple that can be handled: Bring back net neutrality and tear down the fence around LaFayette Park.

There are a lot of other things, but those will take time.

undoing all those terrible executive orders that trump made over the years.
    DACA
    getting those refuges of out the cages

I read this morning that they are wasting no time with the EO's and that one will be issued on Day 1.

1.) Covid Response
    2.) Get the kids out of the cages and reunite them with parents, reform DHS and Re-institute DACA.
    3.) Pass legislative Reform, protect voting rights through legislation and pass bill to strengthen Inspector General independence, protect whistle blowers and increase government accountability.
    4.) Health Care Reform.

Covid, Covid and Covid.

After that, I really want to see some major reforms in how we govern to reduce the benefit of obstruction and divisiveness. In the last 4 years we've seen that our nation is too reliant on traditions and norms and the assumption that those in office respect the institutions.

We need to see the power of the Executive Branch greatly reduced, better walls between the White House and DOJ, IG's that are appointed and report to Congress, a reduction in the power of The Speaker of the House, tighter control of the purse strings by Congress, limiting of Executive Orders to times when there has been an official emergency declaration and many other things.

Biden can't fix what ales us, but he can go down as the President who spearheaded some serious reform in how government operates and moves us away from allowing and rewarding power centralized in so few people. That could be his legacy.

Covid, Covid and Covid.

After that, I really want to see some major reforms in how we govern to reduce the benefit of obstruction and divisiveness. In the last 4 years we've seen that our nation is too reliant on traditions and norms and the assumption that those in office respect the institutions.

We need to see the power of the Executive Branch greatly reduced, better walls between the White House and DOJ, IG's that are appointed and report to Congress, a reduction in the power of The Speaker of the House, tighter control of the purse strings by Congress, limiting of Executive Orders to times when there has been an official emergency declaration and many other things.

Biden can't fix what ales us, but he can go down as the President who spearheaded some serious reform in how government operates and moves us away from allowing and rewarding power centralized in so few people. That could be his legacy.

Its my understanding that IGs are typically career types who have a lot of independence and not typically partisans. There always is some partisan influence in given positions, but it's not typical across the board. I agree 100% that DOJ and more specifically the FBI has to be insulated from influence, not only from the WH, but Congress as well. Congress already wields a lot of power via subpoena and the purse.

I do think the President, and Congressional leaders have too much power, but I'm not sure how to codify reductions in their powers.

It will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Its my understanding that IGs are typically career types who have a lot of independence and not typically partisans. There always is some partisan influence in given positions, but it's not typical across the board. I agree 100% that DOJ and more specifically the FBI has to be insulated from influence, not only from the WH, but Congress as well. Congress already wields a lot of power via subpoena and the purse.

IG's are independent, but what we saw is if the Executive Branch doesn't like what they are investigating or have to say, they can fire them. They are supposed to be a check on the Executive Branch but if they can be fired on a whim, they aren't really anything. Now, for most Presidents firing one is a huge scandal, but now everything is so polarized the President can do anything he wants and still have 70 million people in line for him. Trump basically cleaned house of IG's when they didn't say what he wanted or was investigating things he didn't want to be investigated.

The checks and balances on the Executive Branch (including FBI Director) need to be outside of the President's ability to fire on a whim.

Covid is the only answer here... outside of that - General Unity and breaking division.

I liked Biden's victory speech. He stressed that a President needs to represent all Americans and that he can no longer see himself as simply a Democrat winner. I hope it's not fluff, as we are in desperate need of healing in this country. On the flip side, AOC stressed that the Moderates have a habit of using the Progressives to win, then quickly forget them.

4.) Health Care Reform.

That is my personal most important issue, but I thought justice/drug reform would be more realistic of a goal. This may depend on who takes the Senate.

Outside of Covid, like the OP states... Because a big part of that is also further stimulus / wage protection.

I think two main segments:

EO's to undo a lot of the damage done. Even though, I think one EO Trump did about regulations, states that the economic impact needs to be at least considered (it may be more aggressive than that) should be considered in part.

Healthcare.. which has multiple sub segments. They need to foster competition to lower prices, negotiate drug prices using the power of government (or at least using the leverage of tens of millions of people on Medicare and Medicaid). Basically they need to balance out the cost of risk and actually pay for some of it. i.e. you have to make insurance cheaper to provide before you just have the government pony up. Even if just for a percentage. Let's shrink the costs.

Now, that's a tough nut to crack, especially since Republicans have decided to not really come out with a plan other than allowing market competition just do its thing.. the reality has been companies have pulled out due to what the Republicans broke along the way.

Another large area would be infrastructure. Lots of support there. Buy now to grow off of later.

Now, the reality it, both of these two major agenda items require money. So, deficit spending or raise taxes. I think this is where Biden needs to work out a macro deal with the Senate to get some of his tax increase on the wealthy and corporations. And remember, his corporate tax is what the Senate was originally negotiating to (28%), before they cut it even further. It's still down from the Obama years. With that, a lot of Trump's tax cut on the middle class is actually eroding away. Each year it would be less. So, our taxes are going up every single year, by Trump's own plan. I think they can work it to be an actual tax cut on the middle class and lower, by changing up child tax credits, dependent credits, and some other areas I believe their campaign brought up, and raise it in other areas. I sure wouldn't mind increases in capital gains taxes, for higher income earners, at least. Might be an incentive to keep cash in companies, vs the CEO's/presidents cashing out often.

BTW, my list is based on Republicans having control of the Senate. I have a different list if Democrats win the Georgia runoffs and take control.

Reinstate the environmental protections Trump has removed.

Same... Becuase, if we don’t address that, and SOON, literally nothing else matters.

Dont get it twisted, I’m not saying that Biden can ’solve’ the environment or any such silliness.. But he can immediately rejoin the US into global organizations (and has already stated as much, i believe ) that Trump completely dismissed.. Biden can also position the US to take the lead on green energy and in lots of other areas that will advance aggressive anti-pollution policies.. What i guess I’m trying to say, is that the Biden Administration can start the ball rolling again on Environmental issues that have to start being addressed, not in the ‘first 100 days’, but on Day One.

Also, i kinda figured after reading the OP that Covid was a given in terms of the #1 issue, which has already been discussed ad nauseum, and rightly so.. Beyond covid and the environment, I’d love to see the Biden Administration initiate actions to protect Social Security and Medicare, to prevent them from EVER being defunded as I’m afraid a second Trump term would have done.. I have no clue what would go into that in terms of legislation, perhaps others here can school me- but i want it to get done by any means necessary.

I haven’t specifically mentioned ‘the economy’ because eradicating Covid and being the world leader on green energy will both do wonders for the economy, and produce more jobs than we know what to do with.

Student loan forgiveness would immediately benefit myself and millions of others. I am a special education teacher in a low socioeconomic school, yet the current loan forgiveness has denied me because I consolidated old loans together back when the interest rates dropped. Though I hear even if I hadn't have consolidated them, the odds were extremely high they were still going to deny me anyway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom