What's the top issue you'd like to see Biden Admin tackle in first term? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Student loan forgiveness would immediately benefit myself and millions of others. I am a special education teacher in a low socioeconomic school, yet the current loan forgiveness has denied me because I consolidated old loans together back when the interest rates dropped. Though I hear even if I hadn't have consolidated them, the odds were extremely high they were still going to deny me anyway.

Forgot about that one, yes i wholeheartedly agree that SL forgiveness would be a tremendous way to help millions.. matter of fact, i have one friend who, like me, is still paying off student loans in his 40s (though he has MUCH more debt than i have , even though we both only have 4 yr Bachelor degrees ) and i’ve said to him numerous times that i think one of the first things a Biden/Harris Admin would due is wipe out student debt.. i have no basis for that, other than i think it would be a great start to undo some of the economic damage done by Covid.

Same... Becuase, if we don’t address that, and SOON, literally nothing else matters.

Dont get it twisted, I’m not saying that Biden can ’solve’ the environment or any such silliness.. But he can immediately rejoin the US into global organizations (and has already stated as much, i believe ) that Trump completely dismissed.. Biden can also position the US to take the lead on green energy and in lots of other areas that will advance aggressive anti-pollution policies.. What i guess I’m trying to say, is that the Biden Administration can start the ball rolling again on Environmental issues that have to start being addressed, not in the ‘first 100 days’, but on Day One.

Also, i kinda figured after reading the OP that Covid was a given in terms of the #1 issue, which has already been discussed ad nauseum, and rightly so.. Beyond covid and the environment, I’d love to see the Biden Administration initiate actions to protect Social Security and Medicare, to prevent them from EVER being defunded as I’m afraid a second Trump term would have done.. I have no clue what would go into that in terms of legislation, perhaps others here can school me- but i want it to get done by any means necessary.

I haven’t specifically mentioned ‘the economy’ because eradicating Covid and being the world leader on green energy will both do wonders for the economy, and produce more jobs than we know what to do with.

Especially logging and mining operations in protected natural habitats. Once they are gone - they are gone forever!
    Those habitats are the inheritance of your children and should not be spoiled for a quick profit today. ..

Especially logging and mining operations in protected natural habitats. Once they are gone - they are gone forever!
    Those habitats are the inheritance of your children and should not be spoiled for a quick profit today. ..

I'm definitely for protecting the environment, but I don't agree that gone means gone forever if you plan it well. You can plant and redevelop areas that are harvested. And harvesting doesn't mean eliminating everything in an ecosystem. If done well and rotating where you cut and redevelop, you can harvest wood in the same way you harvest a lot of other things. It can be done responsibly.

I do think there are some protected areas worth keeping as intact as possible. But they're not gone forever regardless where you harvest if done responsibly.

Mining is a different animal though and I'm not nearly as familiar with what they do to protect the environment, so I'm a bit more hesitant when it comes to them.

He's already tackling covid even before he assumes office.

Really, just appointing competent people to the different government departments is going to be a huge step in the right direction.

He's already tackling covid even before he assumes office.

Really, just appointing competent people to the different government departments is going to be a huge step in the right direction.

I agree. Will nice to have more competent people in the Cabinet. At least I hope that's the case. We'll see who he picks.

I'm definitely for protecting the environment, but I don't agree that gone means gone forever if you plan it well. You can plant and redevelop areas that are harvested. And harvesting doesn't mean eliminating everything in an ecosystem. If done well and rotating where you cut and redevelop, you can harvest wood in the same way you harvest a lot of other things. It can be done responsibly.

I do think there are some protected areas worth keeping as intact as possible. But they're not gone forever regardless where you harvest if done responsibly.

Mining is a different animal though and I'm not nearly as familiar with what they do to protect the environment, so I'm a bit more hesitant when it comes to them.

Problem with harvesting is - yes you can replant responsible, but harvesting brings roads and roads brings people and that endangers the wildlife habitats in the areas. You can replant trees but the animals who called the area home will be endangered. Wildlife + People and the wildlife - especially when it comes to the top predators, will eventually lose.

Send an olive branch to the right.

They say that they hate "fake news."

Reinstate the Fairness Doctrine.
    Yep with you on that.

You know the fairness doctrine was because we were actually worried about radio we have much more than that now. Apply it to all forms of media.

I think by 'protected areas' he means old-growth forests and wilderness areas. Once you let development happen there, it's gone forever. Or as close to forever as makes no difference.

I personally would love tax loopholes shut down and to make the wealthy and corporate America have substantial jump in their tax burden.

The way I see it is if you earn crazy money it is because you are here and need to do your part to keep this going. Your share of the pie is a direct result of everyone else busting their hump for far less.

With a few changes we could them afford to pay for things that americans need that has all been listed here.

None of the changes are happening without funds.

I personally would love tax loopholes shut down and to make the wealthy and corporate America have substantial jump in their tax burden.

The way I see it is if you earn crazy money it is because you are here and need to do your part to keep this going. Your share of the pie is a direct result of everyone else busting their hump for far less.

With a few changes we could them afford to pay for things that americans need that has all been listed here.

None of the changes are happening without funds.

If folks think that 1957 was the Golden Age, fine. Let's put taxes back to what they were that year.

(Also, in honor of 'Shizzle: "F*** 1957.)

I think by 'protected areas' he means old-growth forests and wilderness areas. Once you let development happen there, it's gone forever. Or as close to forever as makes no difference.

Yeah, I generally support protecting those. There's plenty about acreage out there to support development. I intended to point out there are ways to mitigate damage and make an area viable after harvesting. I know it's different, but after Mt. St. Helens, something I'm sure you know a lot about. The ecosystem there was flattened, and today it is thriving. I think having a minimal footprint while harvesting is possible and it's my understanding that some logging companies are being proactive about redeveloping areas that are cut.

Being environmentally conscious is just smart business imo.

Yeah, I generally support protecting those. There's plenty about acreage out there to support development. I intended to point out there are ways to mitigate damage and make an area viable after harvesting. I know it's different, but after Mt. St. Helens, something I'm sure you know a lot about. The ecosystem there was flattened, and today it is thriving. I think having a minimal footprint while harvesting is possible and it's my understanding that some logging companies are being proactive about redeveloping areas that are cut.

Being environmentally conscious is just smart business imo.

Well, kinda.

Those big 'ol trees are gone, baby gone. It'll be another sixty years before we see a real forest return. That's what I was referring to when I said 'as good as forever'. Yes, old-growth forests return. Clearcut forests return. But it takes 50 to 250 years. That's good enough for 'forever' in my book.

Well, kinda.

Those big 'ol trees are gone, baby gone. It'll be another sixty years before we see a real forest return. That's what I was referring to when I said 'as good as forever'. Yes, old-growth forests return. Clearcut forests return. But it takes 50 to 250 years. That's good enough for 'forever' in my book.

That makes sense. Fair enough.

Honestly, the first thing I'd like to see Biden tackle is rebuilding and strengthening norms and democratic standards. This is something he could probably do in a bipartisan manner since many Republicans don't trust Democrats.

Things like:
    1. Codifying more firmly not allowing high level officials to directly profit off their position (ie, no holding businesses that are effected by their work, placing assets in a blind trust, etc)
    2. Figure out the best way to enforce that on family members as well. Not sure how that can be done Constitutionally though
    3. De-politicizing the civil service. Especially true for things like the FBI.

And so on. Just restoring and bolstering faith in checks on executive power would be a huge win in my book.

Honestly, the first thing I'd like to see Biden tackle is rebuilding and strengthening norms and democratic standards. This is something he could probably do in a bipartisan manner since many Republicans don't trust Democrats.

Things like:
    1. Codifying more firmly not allowing high level officials to directly profit off their position (ie, no holding businesses that are effected by their work, placing assets in a blind trust, etc)
    2. Figure out the best way to enforce that on family members as well. Not sure how that can be done Constitutionally though
    3. De-politicizing the civil service. Especially true for things like the FBI.

And so on. Just restoring and bolstering faith in checks on executive power would be a huge win in my book.

Yeah, agreed 100%. The deterioration of long accepted norms and ethics are really troublesome and with that come the loss of trust in our institutions. The inherent distrust displayed by large segments of the population doesn't help and that needs to be addressed as well.

Protections for the IGs, so they cannot be fired on a whim. Codifying the distance between the DOJ and the POTUS. Get rid of, or at least modify the DOJ tradition that a sitting POTUS cannot be charged. Put some teeth in enforcement for the emoluments clause and the Hatch act. Make congressional subpoenas enforceable.

I don’t ever want to see a sitting President abuse the powers of his office like this one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom