/* */

What happens to the Republican Party now? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

Ken Paxton, who bought his way to aquittal in his impeachment in TX, was being sued by whistleblowers. He has desperately fought being deposed, and when the courts ruled that he HAD to sit for a deposition, he said he would concede the case so that his deposition could be cancelled.

Court says - nope, still have to sit for your deposition. Wonder what he is so eager to keep hidden?

This is a feature not a bug.

Its simple. If the downtrodden in their communities ever received the help that they need from the federal government, they might stop hating it.
    Tate Reeves was listed as the most vulnerable incumbent in the nation during the last election. He still won easily
    against a strong challenger. Sadly, I see no hope for my state in the near future.

He has pulled the bill. He says that the original draft of the bill included first cousins in the language, but during revisions it was mistakenly removed. He will be reintroducing it with that language back in the bill.

Whether or not that is true or just damage control, we'll never know.

Tate Reeves was listed as the most vulnerable incumbent in the nation during the last election. He still won easily
    against a strong challenger. Sadly, I see no hope for my state in the near future.

Yup, they can take him, Abbott, Scalise and that idiot Higgins, they all deserve a trip to the woodshed....bunch of arsehats....

The Republican primaries are under way and – not surprisingly – the candidates have been ganging up on Bidenomics.

Spoiler alert: they don’t like it.

Fact check: they are wrong.

To a man – and one woman – the Republican candidates all say that the US economy is bad and that Americans are struggling financially.

They’re warning about sky-high deficits, over-the-top government spending and a potentially catastrophic level of national debt.

They point out that interest rates are at a 20-year high and the costs of core things like food, gas and housing are significantly more than they were just a few years ago. They point to a downturn in manufacturing and falling small business confidence.

“Bidenomics is crushing American families,” saidthe Republican candidate Nikki Haley. “We’re paying more for gas, groceries and other basic necessities.”

“I’ll rip up Bidenomics on day one of my presidency,” the Florida governor and presidential challenger Ron DeSantis warned.

Yes, prices and rates are up. But really? Is the economy so bad? I’m a Republican and a small business owner with hundreds of clients in many industries and honestly the economy isn’t that bad. In fact, it’s been really, really good.

Just ask Donald Trump, who implicitly admittedthis when he recently said he hoped for a “crash” and that it would “be in the next 12 months because I don’t want to be Herbert Hoover”.

If you don’t believe me, just look at the numbers.

Last quarter’s gross domestic product showed growth of 5.2%. That’s a number that dwarfs all other pre-Covid recovery numbers in recent memory. Unemployment is at a record low.

Each month the economy is adding hundreds of thousands of new jobs. There are millions of more open jobs available today compared with 2019.

Yes, prices are higher, but inflation is down from a 9% annual rate to about 3%, so whatever the Federal Reserve did to offset the treasury’s spending on fiscal programs seems to be working. The stock market is near all-time highs, as is household wealth.

Credit card delinquency rates are lower than they’ve been for the past 30 years as are delinquencies on all loans across the banking system. Holiday retail sales were strong and online sales boomed. Plenty of capital is available for businesses that need it and corporations have more cash on hand than in any year before the pandemic.

I speak to dozens of industry associations each year and here’s what I’m hearing: just about everyone had a good 2023. The CEOs of our major banks reported strong earnings, after taking into consideration special assessments and one-time charges. Retailers and restaurants have recovered from the pandemic.

Convention traffic in Vegas is back to normal. There are almost as many travelers through the airports as there were before Covid. Businesses in the service industriesrecorded their 12th consecutive month of growth.…….

Yup, they can take him, Abbott, Scalise and that idiot Higgins, they all deserve a trip to the woodshed....bunch of arsehats....
    Reeves and Brett Favre will be lucky to stay out of jail after this welfare scandal investigation is over.

Reeves and Brett Favre will be lucky to stay out of jail after this welfare scandal investigation is over.
    I would like to think that’s true, but I have grave doubts that they will be held to account, unless there are federal charges. I don’t know enough about the case to know if that’s true.

This tweet reminded me - I heard an interview somewhere - years and years ago - where it was said that the writers used Trump as their inspiration for Biff.

Putting this here because No Labels is essentially a GOP political operation.

So the head of the AZ GOP has resigned after Kari Lake played a tape she secretly recorded of him offering her money to quit her Senate race. He says she’s unelectable. My question would be, how did she get the nomination without a fight then? Can’t you guys fight off MAGA without being underhanded about it? Not sure where the money would have come from as the AZ GOP is almost broke.

Guess this can go here
    =================

Tens of thousands of state legislators and elected local officials are avoiding hot-button policy issues such as abortion and gun control because they are fearful of the backlash of intimidating abuse, a new report has found.

A major survey by the Brennan Center for Justice released on Thursday warned that the spate of extremist intimidation that has been seen nationally in the US, epitomized by the attack on the Capitol building on 6 January 2021, is also sweeping local and state politics. In the fallout, elected individuals are limiting their interactions with constituents and narrowing the contentious topics they are prepared to take on.

Some are even contemplating quitting public life altogether. Such chilling of public discourse poses a threat to the functioning of representative democracy at every level of government, the Brennan Center, a non-partisan authority on law and policy, concludes.

The center conducted a survey of 350 state legislators and more than 1,350 local officeholders working in towns, municipalities and county government. It found that more than 40% of state lawmakers had experienced threats or attacks in the past three years, while almost one in five local officials faced the same abuse over 18 months.

Almost one in 10 state legislators reported that they had been intimidated by a person wielding a weapon. Many others faced death threats, including one state lawmaker who said they had received a message that provided granular detail down to the date, time and precise location where an attack would take place.

The abuse is often directly related to the policy positions that elected individuals have adopted over contentious issues such as gun control and abortion. That in turn is having a withering impact on the democratic process, the Brennan Center warns.

Some 39% of locally elected officials and more than one in five state lawmakers said they were less willing to advocate for contentious policies for fear of abuse. When those figures are extrapolated for all public servants in state and local government, many tens of thousands of officials are affected.

At a time when the US is experiencing record numbers of mass shootings, gun regulations were repeatedly mentioned as an area where lawmakers were holding back for fear of attack. Kelly Cassidy, a Democratic representative in the Illinois legislature, told the researchers that she decided not to lead bills that would introduce safety controls on firearms because “my kids were too little, the threats were too common and too on point”.……..

A bill in Florida that would allow children to work full-time hours even on school nights has just passed another major hurdle.

House Bill 49, championed by Florida Republicans, would allow employers to schedule 16- and 17-year-olds between 6 am and 11 pm, even if the following day is a school day. Under the bill, employers could also schedule them to work more than 30 hours per week year-round. The bill also allows students who are “in a home education program” or enrolled in an approved virtual instructional program to work during school hours.

And on Tuesday, the Florida House Commerce Committee voted to advance the bill into the Florida House of Representatives.

Ever since its introduction by Representative Linda Chaney, a Republican, state Democrats and labour policy experts have stood in stark opposition.

Representative Anna Eskamani, a Democrat who opposes the bill, called it “extremely concerning.”

“Florida is home to a robust immigrant community and this bill could make their children vulnerable to corporate exploitation the same way they were in the 20th century,” Ms Eskamani said in a statement. “We have seen this pattern of exploitation before in the US and we should take steps to ensure it never happens again.”

Kara Gross, legislative director and senior policy counsel for the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, said the bill “disproportionately harms marginalized communities.”..........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom