What happens to the Republican Party now? (3 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This election nonsense by Trump may end up splitting up the Republican Party. I just don’t see how the one third (?) who are principled conservatives can stay in the same party with Trump sycophants who are willing to sign onto the TX Supreme Court case.

We also saw the alt right types chanting “destroy the GOP” in Washington today because they didn’t keep Trump in power. I think the Q types will also hold the same ill will toward the traditional Republican Party. In fact its quite possible that all the voters who are really in a Trump personality cult will also blame the GOP for his loss. It’s only a matter of time IMO before Trump himself gets around to blaming the GOP.

There is some discussion of this on Twitter. What do you all think?

This could have gone in the weather thread too
    ==============================

After a summer of floods, fires, and relentless heat, more Americans than ever are blaming extreme weather events on the climate crisis.

New polling from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Researchrevealed that 87 per cent of Americans have experienced at least one extreme weather event in the past five years, and three-quarters believe that climate change at least partially played a role.

But as with most hot-button issues, views cut down party lines. Nearly all Democrats (93 per cent) connected more extreme weather events to the climate crisis, compared to just under half of Republicans (48 per cent).

Although liberals and independents have been more likely to accept the scientific evidence of climate change, Republicans are quickly catching up.

The most recent poll showed a six per cent jump in Republicans linking extreme weather and climate from when AP-NORC posed the same question in April. The US South, home to predominantly red states, has experienced brutal, 100-plus degree temperatures for long stretches this summer.

When compared to data from 2017, provided toThe Independent by AP-NORC, Republican numbers have nearly doubled. Only 27 per cent of Republicans thought severe weather was caused “entirely or mostly by climate change” six years ago.

Yet, growing concern among Republican voters doesn’t appear to have registered with the party’s current crop of presidential candidates.

At the first GOP debate in August, the climate crisis was largely dismissed by candidates after a young conservative asked how they would “calm... fears that the Republican Party doesn’t care about climate change.”

The debate moderators then asked for a show of hands from candidates if they agreed that human behaviour was leading to rising temperatures. No hands went up.

Political newcomer Vivek Ramaswamy, a multimillionaire businessman from Ohio, was the most brazen in his denial. "The climate change agenda is a hoax,” he told the audience, and was met with boos.

Ron DeSantis obfuscated and criticised President Biden’s response to the Maui wildfires. The Florida governor is attempting to walk the fine line between the leader of a state being battered by more intense hurricanes and sea-level rise, and an “anti-woke,” anti-science agenda…….

This article is funny. It's like the author hasn't been paying any attention since 2000.

Climate change denial has always been a top-down phenomenon. It's not a belief of the base that the politicians reflect, it's a donor mandate that politicians have sold to their base.

This is who is backing the MAGA candidate for mayor of Franklin, TN. And the journalist they targeted response:
    I’ve been following the whole Phil Williams / Gabrielle Hanson story and it’s wild. Two thumbs up, recommended.

Can you give us a TLDR recap?
    Oh my, I'll try.

Hanson is running for mayor of Franklin, TN (right outside Nashville, a Republican area), and Phil Williams is an investigating reporter for channel 5 in Nashville.

It started (I think... at least where I came in) when Williams saw a photo Hanson posted claiming it as a group of women supporters in Franklin and tried to find out its origin. He managed to contact women in the photo, but turns out it was from a photoshoot/ad campaign for The Limited in Chicago in 2016. After the initial story got posted Hanson then changed her tune and said it was a photo of friends from Chicago who had moved all around the country but they still got together regularly. Then the women said they didn't know Hanson and were shocked it was being used by someone they didn't remember, and when told about Hanson's political views the ones he talked to said they would not support her ever.

Then the phone call from her campaign manager came and it was wild. You have to listen to it to see, but the stuff said was bonkers. The campaign director outright lied in many cases... says that according to "Missouri vs Biden" they can say anything they want to -- true or not -- and it's OK. She accused Williams of stalking Hanson (he's a reporter covering an election!) and then invented people on the campaign (Leah Hallway)...

After that, there have been other things like:

Hanson had been charged with aiding prostitution in Texas,
    Hanson and her husband's residency status -- she ran for alderman in Franklin at the same time her hubby ran for office in Illinois. Where do they actually live?
    Hanson tried to get a pride event in Franklin stopped because of indecency... but her Hubby appeared in a Chicago gay pride parade in an American flag speedo (trying to get conservative attention?)
    The campaign manager in the phone call resigned but only after there was video of her at a Franklin BOMA meeting against the Pride event saying at a PA town she was from, the Pride people had an event where they passed out butt plugs and dildos to eight year olds...
    ()
    Hanson lied claiming she had advance knowledge about the Covenant school shooting (claimed she had a "feeling" and told a police officer about it)

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten by this point. It's nuts. All started around Sept 11 this year and has been going on since.

Oh my, I'll try.

Hanson is running for mayor of Franklin, TN (right outside Nashville, a Republican area), and Phil Williams is an investigating reporter for channel 5 in Nashville.

It started (I think... at least where I came in) when Williams saw a photo Hanson posted claiming it as a group of women supporters in Franklin and tried to find out its origin. He managed to contact women in the photo, but turns out it was from a photoshoot/ad campaign for The Limited in Chicago in 2016. After the initial story got posted Hanson then changed her tune and said it was a photo of friends from Chicago who had moved all around the country but they still got together regularly. Then the women said they didn't know Hanson and were shocked it was being used by someone they didn't remember, and when told about Hanson's political views the ones he talked to said they would not support her ever.

Then the phone call from her campaign manager came and it was wild. You have to listen to it to see, but the stuff said was bonkers. The campaign director outright lied in many cases... says that according to "Missouri vs Biden" they can say anything they want to -- true or not -- and it's OK. She accused Williams of stalking Hanson (he's a reporter covering an election!) and then invented people on the campaign (Leah Hallway)...

Hanson and her husband's residency status -- she ran for alderman in Franklin at the same time her hubby ran for office in Illinois. Where do they actually live?
    Hanson tried to get a pride event in Franklin stopped because of indecency... but her Hubby appeared in a Chicago gay pride parade in an American flag speedo (trying to get conservative attention?)
    The campaign manager in the phone call resigned but only after there was video of her at a Franklin BOMA meeting against the Pride event saying at a PA town she was from, the Pride people had an event where they passed out butt plugs and dildos to eight year olds...
    ()
    Hanson lied claiming she had advance knowledge about the Covenant school shooting (claimed she had a "feeling" and told a police officer about it)

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten by this point. It's nuts. All started around Sept 11 this year and has been going on since.

Great post.

And, btw, this is professional fact checking...ie reporting for those wondering about fighting mis/disinformation and lies.

Oh my, I'll try.

()

Jesus, that lady is off her rocker.

She is, and her followers are insane as well. Some of the videos of them harassing Phil Williams as he tries to cover election events is unreal. Plus the whole phone call from her (then) election manager... just great theater. 🍿

I love how she gets at Phil for not answering her nonsensical questions, then refuses to answer anything he asks her before finally threatening him with legal action if he repeats the things she says when she is clearly speaking to a reporter on the record.

I love how she gets at Phil for not answering her nonsensical questions, then refuses to answer anything he asks her before finally threatening him with legal action if he repeats the things she says when she is clearly speaking to a reporter on the record.
    It's simply crazy that people think they are making sense when they make some of their arguments. She really believes she is winning the arguments/points she is throwing out like machine gun covering fire. I think they're used to handling people who are completely clueless so that works on them, but not anyone who can actually think.

She is, and her followers are insane as well. Some of the videos of them harassing Phil Williams as he tries to cover election events is unreal. Plus the whole phone call from her (then) election manager... just great theater. 🍿

Williams should shoot a few. This is Tennessee, right?

Just stand his ground and put a couple-three in the ground. Let them see where this ideology leads.

Even more in the Hanson/Williams story: a literal Nazi sympathizer group did security for her at an event, and there's all kinds of fallout, including her saying she is anti-Antifa (meaning she is fascist? O.O).

Give Phil Williams a follow and you too will have a popcorn day nearly every day. :)

Even more in the Hanson/Williams story: a literal Nazi sympathizer group did security for her at an event, and there's all kinds of fallout, including her saying she is anti-Antifa (meaning she is fascist? O.O).

Give Phil Williams a follow and you too will have a popcorn day nearly every day. :)

:jpshakehead:

One of the dumbest things this country does is to allow members Nazi's, KKK, White Supremist groups with a documented history and desire for violence the ability to own and accumulate large stores of weapons. It should be illegal. Another reason the 2nd Amendment needs to be revised/reformed.

Sarah Sanders‘ lectern saga in AR is worth following as well. Apparently, $19k were spent for something but recorded as a purchase of a lectern. No procurement procedures were followed and it seems she personally shepherded the payment through the process. The money appears to have gone to a close friend (who doesn‘t sell or procure lecterns) and seems to have coincided with an expensive trip to Paris….

The cover-up has consisted of a hastily-called legislative session to gut the state’s public disclosure laws once journalists started questioning the purchase. At this time nobody could produce said lectern - it didn’t seem to exist. Some time later a wooden one was produced, but nobody can make the money match up. Also, lies and more lies, which keep getting exposed.

Phil Williams and Gabrielle Hanson featured in last night's episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver for those with HBO/MAX.

Sanders continues to lie and try to weasel out of what is looking like deliberate fraud:

Seems there is a new buzz word, and they are all coordinating their use of it. So, we just spent the day in Chicago yesterday - and I felt perfectly safe the entire time. But yes, all you MAGAs “GeT OuT of ThE CiTiEs”. Weirdos.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom