Tucker Carlson really really likes Russia (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    Saw this on Twitter, and am late to get somewhere so maybe someone else can flesh this out. When it comes to Russia vs Ukraine, Tucker is rooting for Russia.

So the choice he set up is between a fledgling democracy, and one of the most corrupt oligarchies in the world, one country who is an ally and one an antagonist, and he chooses the corrupt oligarchy who is our antagonist?

why would he say that?

Before I weigh in here,by Russia do you mean Russia or do you mean Putin and his government?

I agree in that specific exchange he was not thinking of china at all, however, I watch his show a lot and he ranks China well above Russia on his threat index.
    So, Carlson agrees with Obama then??? I only bring this up because you cited Obama's opinion from the 2012 Presidential campaign.

He said between Ukraine and Russia, he’s rooting for Russia. I take that to mean he wants Russia to prevail over Ukraine in the war. Maybe there’s another way to take it?

So, Carlson agrees with Obama then??? I only bring this up because you cited Obama's opinion from the 2012 Presidential campaign.
    From what they both have said when comparing Russia and China as a threat to the US, I would agree.

From what they both have said when comparing Russia and China as a threat to the US, I would agree.

It’s funny. I remember thinking Obama really owned Romney with that quip at the debate.

Then a little over four years later I recall the realization that Romney made fools of both Obama and me that night.

Why are we supporting Ukraine? The only reason I can think of is that a Ukraine more aligned with western interests make Europe safer and continues to keep eastern Europen countries in alignment with the west.
    I am not sure how accurate that is with respec to Ukraine, but that seems to be the idea.
    One example of what I think is a rush to judgment on everything Trump says concerns his point about Europe not doing enough on Ukraine. Everyone sort of jumped on him and pointed out that the EU is supplying more grants and loans to Ukraine than the US. But the larger point seemed to be lost - the EU continues to rely heavily on Russian energy and continues to make deals with Russia.

I’m curious what the practical difference might be .

I think it is important toseparate the Russian government from the Russian people, and I hope other countries do the same towards us.

I’m not sure that’s what he means though.

Why are we supporting Ukraine? The only reason I can think of is that a Ukraine more aligned with western interests make Europe safer and continues to keep eastern Europen countries in alignment with the west.
    I am not sure how accurate that is with respec to Ukraine, but that seems to be the idea.
    One example of what I think is a rush to judgment on everything Trump says concerns his point about Europe not doing enough on Ukraine. Everyone sort of jumped on him and pointed out that the EU is supplying more grants and loans to Ukraine than the US. But the larger point seemed to be lost - the EU continues to rely heavily on Russian energy and continues to make deals with Russia.

I think it still boils down to what that region has always been - buffer zone. Yes, Kiev is dependent on Russian energy and does does with Russia but politically there is a will to resist being a satellite state and to move to the West. It has been US policy to support resistance to Putin’s re-establishing an effective iron curtain.

This is a thorough presentation:

Okay, Jim, you’re being pretty generous about Trump’s intent.

Honestly, he’s not the most articulate person. He speaks very poorly and in vague terms.

back to Tucker, he did say he was joking, at the end. it reminded me of a mean girl, who says something insulting, and then says “just joking”.

Future military aid for Ukraine can be debated and possibility reconsidered. Withholding approved assistance for personal gain is a different matter.

Right now, our official position is to support Ukraine. Tucker Carlson said he supports Russia over Ukraine.

Okay, Jim, you’re being pretty generous about Trump’s intent.

Honestly, he’s not the most articulate person. He speaks very poorly and in vague terms.

back to Tucker, he did say he was joking, at the end. it reminded me of a mean girl, who says something insulting, and then says “just joking”.
    To be fair, Trump has said as much before when discussing German specifically and their pipeline deal with Russia.

I agree with you on Tucker, but that stuff is par for the course on those types of shows.

Yeah I remember his being upset about the pipeline, now. When I heard his gripe about Ukraine, though, I didn’t take it as anything other than “we spend more on them than Europe”. Who knows if he had the big picture in mind at the time or not?

I think it still boils down to what that region has always been - buffer zone. Yes, Kiev is dependent on Russian energy and does does with Russia but politically there is a will to resist being a satellite state and to move to the
    West. It has been US policy to support resistance to Putin’s re-establishing an effective iron curtain.

This is a thorough presentation:

I agree. But if the point is largely to protect Europe -both by providing a buffer and also continuing to prove trustworthy to nations that used to be in the Russian sphere then it seems fair for us to ask that Europe do more.

Consider Germany - they are well into their ambitious plan to provide 100% renewable energy from domestic sources. But from 2010 to today their reliance on imports, and thus reliance on Russia, has increased. That seems beyond counter-poductive and it should make us question our obligation to secure Europe.

Granted the above depends on sharing some view that Russia is the greatest geo-political threat in the world. The actions of Europe do not seem to reflect that. So, should we?

It’s funny. I remember thinking Obama really owned Romney with that quip at the debate.

Then a little over four years later I recall the realization that Romney made fools of both Obama and me that night.
    Well Obama was speaking in terms of sanctions hamstringing Russia economically dropping them down to a G20 level economy

Obviously we have been rather blasé about our election security and social media influence- we could have been MUCH better with both of those

Well Obama was speaking in terms of sanctions hamstringing Russia economically dropping them down to a G20 level economy

Obviously we have been rather blasé about our election security and social media influence- we could have been MUCH better with both of those

That moment didn’t age well, and it was a terrible mistake for Obama to be dismissive of Russia regardless of the context.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom