Trump Tracker Too (2 Trump 2 Tracker) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Status
    Not open for further replies.

EmBeeFiveOhFour

Reaction score
    The football board had the very useful Daily Trump Tracker thread, which was a good place to briefly discuss the latest ridiculous thing that might have ended 97% of prior Presidential administrations even if it didn't necessarily justify an entire thread devoted to it in 2017-2019 (because of the sheer volume of these things). Since I don't see anything like that here already, I'll add one myself.

Saw the same kinds of things said when Bush was in Kennebunkport, ME and the Secret Service had to follow him around everywhere.

Then there's the retired presidents, some of whom have six-figure speaking engagements, but we still foot the bill for their Secret Service details to go to those events.

1581109414404.png

Last edited:
    Saw the same kinds of things said when Bush was in Kennebunkport, ME and the Secret Service had to follow him around everywhere.

Then there's the retired presidents, some of whom have six-figure speaking engagements, but we still foot the bill for their Secret Service details to go to those events.

1581109414404.png

That’s not remotely the same thing, but you already know that

That’s not remotely the same thing, but you already know that
    Hi Optimus,

Your comment caused me to look into this subject one more time, and I believe I've found a fairly decent quick reference on the subject. I hope you like it.

It's an Atlas Obscura piece about the research done on presidential expenses. It reviews security related renovations to personal property done for FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, skips JFK, Johnson, Nixon, and Bush, Sr., and Trump.

It was Nixon's spending that caused Congress to investigate and curb such spending by imposing a $10,000 limit.

In total, the government spent more than $1 million on improving Nixon’s private estates, including $224,000 on landscaping and paving at Nixon’s two properties. (That’s more than $5.4 million, total, in today’s dollars.) Most of the work was for security purposes, although some items, such as the flagpoles requested by a military aide, were not. The GAO did find, though, that some of the spending was excessive. “It appears that the Government did some landscape maintenance at both residences which should have been done at the President’s expense,” the office reported.

Then, it references Kennebunkport, and circles back to Trump again.

Over time, that threshold crept up, to $75,000 in 1985 and $200,000 in 1995. In 1989, Congress also added a provision to the law intended to help out the small police force of Kennebunkport, which had quickly exhausted its overtime budget dealing with visits by the first President Bush. The new provision allowed up to $160,000 to reimburse state and local governments for expenses associated with such visits—provided they had a population of fewer than 7,000 people. (That amount was later increased to $300,000.)

In theory, investing in security at the president’s private residence is efficient. “If you’re going to be going back to that place, it’s probably worth the investment,” says Pat O’Carroll, the executive director of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association, who served in the Secret Service. If it’s secured, the Secret Service can be assured of its safety whenever the president returns.

Since the law’s been passed, though, no one has tested its limits as President Trump has. The federal government has agreed to give New York City $7 million to cover the extra costs of helping to secure Trump Tower for the weeks between the election and the inauguration, but the city’s best hope of getting more financial assistance for securing the tower, the cost of which is estimated to be hundreds of thousands of dollars a day, is for Congress to appropriate extra funds for that purpose. Palm Beach County is also looking for help covering the cost of the president’s Mar-a-Lago visits. No matter what, though, the country will spend more on protecting President Trump’s private properties than it has on any other president in history.

Hi Optimus,

Your comment caused me to look into this subject one more time, and I believe I've found a fairly decent quick reference on the subject. I hope you like it.

It's an Atlas Obscura piece about the research done on presidential expenses. It reviews security related renovations to personal property done for FDR, Truman, Eisenhower, skips JFK, Johnson, Nixon, and Bush, Sr., and Trump.

It was Nixon's spending that caused Congress to investigate and curb such spending by imposing a $10,000 limit.

In total, the government spent more than $1 million on improving Nixon’s private estates, including $224,000 on landscaping and paving at Nixon’s two properties. (That’s more than $5.4 million, total, in today’s dollars.) Most of the work was for security purposes, although some items, such as the flagpoles requested by a military aide, were not. The GAO did find, though, that some of the spending was excessive. “It appears that the Government did some landscape maintenance at both residences which should have been done at the President’s expense,” the office reported.

Then, it references Kennebunkport, and circles back to Trump again.

Over time, that threshold crept up, to $75,000 in 1985 and $200,000 in 1995. In 1989, Congress also added a provision to the law intended to help out the small police force of Kennebunkport, which had quickly exhausted its overtime budget dealing with visits by the first President Bush. The new provision allowed up to $160,000 to reimburse state and local governments for expenses associated with such visits—provided they had a population of fewer than 7,000 people. (That amount was later increased to $300,000.)

In theory, investing in security at the president’s private residence is efficient. “If you’re going to be going back to that place, it’s probably worth the investment,” says Pat O’Carroll, the executive director of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association, who served in the Secret Service. If it’s secured, the Secret Service can be assured of its safety whenever the president returns.

Since the law’s been passed, though, no one has tested its limits as President Trump has. The federal government has agreed to give New York City $7 million to cover the extra costs of helping to secure Trump Tower for the weeks between the election and the inauguration, but the city’s best hope of getting more financial assistance for securing the tower, the cost of which is estimated to be hundreds of thousands of dollars a day, is for Congress to appropriate extra funds for that purpose. Palm Beach County is also looking for help covering the cost of the president’s Mar-a-Lago visits. No matter what, though, the country will spend more on protecting President Trump’s private properties than it has on any other president in history.

Now, can you take that one next step in that the money spent by us taxpayers at Mar-a-Lago goes into Trump's pocket...

It's a provision right there in the Constitution, but apparently the only body with standing to address it is Congress, via impeachment.
    Which they failed to do because they're stupid.

Now, can you take that one next step in that the money spent by us taxpayers at Mar-a-Lago goes into Trump's pocket...

It's a provision right there in the Constitution, but apparently the only body with standing to address it is Congress, via impeachment.
    Which they failed to do because they're stupid.
    Now just a second. The initial report said the Secret Service was charged $650 per night at Mar a Lago in 2018. Truth is, the cost for later stays in 2018 were reduced to $396.15. You'll never guess how.

Man, you're going to love this! :hihi:

For instance, during the first year of Trump's maladministration, his Mar-a-Lago club charged the Secret Service rates up to $650 a night. Later, that nightly rate seems to have dropped some, to payments of "$396.15, dozens more times in 2018." But don't go thinking that had anything to do with the Trump Organization deciding the high costs looked bad. Don't be silly! Instead, it appears that's because the "2018 receipts list the Secret Service as an "honorary member" of the club, which could have made it eligible for a member discount."

Now just a second. The initial report said the Secret Service was charged $650 per night at Mar a Lago in 2018. Truth is, the cost for later stays in 2018 were reduced to $396.15. You'll never guess how.

Man, you're going to love this! :hihi:

For instance, during the first year of Trump's maladministration, his Mar-a-Lago club charged the Secret Service rates up to $650 a night. Later, that nightly rate seems to have dropped some, to payments of "$396.15, dozens more times in 2018." But don't go thinking that had anything to do with the Trump Organization deciding the high costs looked bad. Don't be silly! Instead, it appears that's because the "2018 receipts list the Secret Service as an "honorary member" of the club, which could have made it eligible for a member discount."

Gotcha...So, we should be happy that the president started forcing taxpayers to pay him $650 per night per secret service member, but then decided to cut the price to $400 per night per secret service member. Yay!!! He's not taking as much of our money and putting it right into his pocket. He's a great guy!!

There is another case where hotel owners (and maybe some other business owners) are suing. Perhaps they will have standing - since it seems like they have the possibility of proving an actual harm to themselves, i.e. they lost business because people who would have stayed at their hotels chose Trump's due to the potential benefit given his government position.

The ruling DD posted seems to suggest that the whole House, or the whole Senate, or them in combination could possibly have standing. Not sure on that one.

There is also the possibility that the States themselves could have standing - although I doubt that. But some AGs have sued and their case is still alive.

Someone in the Trump organization may think at least one of those suits has merit because the lease of the hotel in question is for sale. I saw just a snippet where someone (maybe House oversight?) was requesting that whatever agency would be involved would tell Trump to rule out a sale to a foreign government, but that agency refused to do that. But that would seem to clearly violate the emoluments clause, wouldn’t it? Sale of lease to a foreign government, I mean.

And the explanation I heard about the suit was that since it wasn’t a majority of the members of the House, they threw it out. IDK for sure, just what my memory is. It is surely a violation of the emoluments clause though, if he continues to keep the lease. So if they ever get a suit with standing, I don’t think it will be ruled in Trump’s favor.

Gotcha...So, we should be happy that the president started forcing taxpayers to pay him $650 per night per secret service member, but then decided to cut the price to $400 per night per secret service member. Yay!!! He's not taking as much of our money and putting it right into his pocket. He's a great guy!!

I don’t think we know for sure that the price even got cut, though. The Secret Service hasn’t filed any of their financial disclosure reports since the ones that listed the $650 price, IIRC.

When they were finally prompted about the missing reports they said that the people who used to do that had left, and nobody remaining even realized they had to do them. Lol.

So they have started filing reports again and are trying to catch up, but what I saw said that the lines for Mar-a-Lago and Bedminster were just left blank on the recent filings.

MILWAUKEE (AP) — President Donald Trump was more than halfway through his speech at a rally in Milwaukee when one of his hand gestures caught the eye of a supporter standing in the packed arena.

The 51-year-old woman believed the president had traced the shape of the letter “Q” with his fingers as a covert signal to followers of QAnon, a right-wing, pro-Trump conspiracy theory. She turned to the couple on her right and excitedly asked, “Did you see the ‘Q’?”

“He just did it?” asked Diane Jacobson, 63, of Racine, Wisconsin.

“Was that a ‘Q’?” added Jacobson’s husband, Randy, 64.

“I think it was,” replied their new friend, Chrisy. The Geneva, Illinois, resident declined to give her last name in part because she said she wanted to avoid negative “attention.”...........

OH PULEZZE.. you guys are reaching hard. No where does the article say they were paying guests. Second this was a snuck video and not a nationally broadcast licensed NFL product.. And neither did he sit during the Anthem..just act da fool. Which I said Asia was unhappy with..

I tell ya. Let's start a new tread. Jay z, Beyonce and child sitting for the anthem. You know, the guy hired to book the halftime show and bring us all back together..

And while we are at it lets bring up statistics. Cops, FBI Stats, crime stats, gun violence... You know bring it all out... Let make real certain our problem is cops. Sinceyou guys wanna support protesting against the flag here so much....

But naw... You guys just wanna find something about Trump to birch about... Maybe some of you may even be upset if you found out his toilet paper paper was made in the USA and not Mexico.

Actually, when the video is ending, it looks like he's about to sit.

However, I personally don't care that he did this while watching it on TV. But, he should expect some crap for things he yells at others about.

I'm more insulted that he's a terrible conductor. ;) (as someone who's conducted the SSB for like 4-5 years).

MILWAUKEE (AP) — President Donald Trump was more than halfway through his speech at a rally in Milwaukee when one of his hand gestures caught the eye of a supporter standing in the packed arena.

The 51-year-old woman believed the president had traced the shape of the letter “Q” with his fingers as a covert signal to followers of QAnon, a right-wing, pro-Trump conspiracy theory. She turned to the couple on her right and excitedly asked, “Did you see the ‘Q’?”

“He just did it?” asked Diane Jacobson, 63, of Racine, Wisconsin.

“Was that a ‘Q’?” added Jacobson’s husband, Randy, 64.

“I think it was,” replied their new friend, Chrisy. The Geneva, Illinois, resident declined to give her last name in part because she said she wanted to avoid negative “attention.”...........

For some reason this makes me think of the little old ladies who's buy the National Enquirer.

Interesting article
    ===================
    On Monday evening, President Trump retweeted a clip from an episode of “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” in which Larry David discovers the power of a MAGA hat to repel people he doesn’t like or get him out of trouble.

In this clip, Larry is being yelled at by an angry biker; he puts on the hat, and the biker turns friendly.

“TOUGH GUYS FOR TRUMP!” the president captioned it gleefully.

To explain this situation, in which the president seemed oblivious to a joke targeting him and his followers, I interviewed Dannagal Goldthwaite Young, an associate professor of communication at the University of Delaware.

Young’s new book, Irony and Outrage: The Polarized Landscape of Rage, Fear, and Laughter in the United States, is all about how conservatives and liberals not only are drawn to different kinds of media, but tend to have different kinds of psychological makeup.

She explains why one group watches Sean Hannity and the other watches Larry David — and why the president doesn’t get the joke..........

So even though nobody is doing much talking about it, 9% of the voters in the NH Republican primary voted for Bill Weld. They just said that‘s over 10,000 Republicans who took the trouble to go to the polls as a gesture to show their dislike of Trump, even though they knew it wouldn’t make a difference. I imagine for every one who went to the trouble, there has to be at least another one who feels the same way, but didn’t bother.

William Weld is a worthy candidate. Good for them.

My takeaway from everything that has happened over the past few months....

i'm just so glad that I'll never have to hear Trump supporters talking about the Clinton Body Count, or how scandalous the tarmac meeting between Loretta Lynch and Bill Clinton was.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom