Trump to launch TRUTH social network (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Wine has alcohol, Twitter has conspiracy nuts.

Trump's social media is going to be the Everclear of conspiracy loons.

I've been on twitter for like 10 years. I assure you, Twitter has absolutely crazy people on it from all spectrums from all different backgrounds. It won't be anything new, you had people believing and spreading conspiracy theories on how Brian Laundrie was hiding in a bunker under the Laundries property in their backyard when its Florida and your foot sinks into the ground at the edge of the Laundries front lawn. The climate there is no different than in most places you'd find in Louisiana. You have people who think the parents planted evidence at the reserve even when a FOX camera crew followed the Laundries their entire visit on the day the remains and personal items were found. When Tumblr went under, all kinda loons joined up on Twitter. You have conspiracy theorist videos all over youtube including flat earther content that features hundreds of hours of debates over how the earth is flat. Twitter mobs have driven people to literal suicide, like adult actress, August Ames a few years ago. Instagram who falls under the umbrella of Facebook has reports of it being a toxic environment to teenage girls. There was also twitter trolling and harassment that led to the suicide of a Japanese Wrestler, Hana Kimura as well.

I'm not sure if I'd join his social media network, I don't have much interest in it at the moment. I'm just hoping it launches and it somewhat competes with what is already out there. My judgement is going to be based on how his social network performs, not what I believe the man to be or how loony I think he is. People are acting(not saying you're acting this way) like other established social media companies don't have massive problems with conspiracy theorists, misinformation, proliferation of bots, especially those that astroturf hashtags have clearly have not used twitter much. Twitter and Facebook are an absolute mess, if this can push them to be better, then its a win for everyone.

It's going to be a big uphill battle to get consumers off the established platforms to join his. Either way, its going to be amusing but I do hope he's able to pull it off.

Competition can never be a bad thing, I hope whatever legal trouble its going to inevitably face can be overcame.
    Count me in the group that hope it fails spectacularly. Competition isn't a bad thing. However, there should be no place to allow anyone unfretted ability to blatantly spread lies that threaten our democracy. You can't yell fire in a crowed theater so you shouldn't be allowed to spread blatant provable lies that threaten the country.
    Misinformation on a grand level is unfortunately something all these networks have to deal with and have done a crap job at combating. Lets not pretend it doesn't happen on these competing platforms and it'll more than likely happen here but its not "exclusive" just because of who's launching this particular platform.
    True. There is misinformation on Twitter, Facebook and other platforms. There is an effort to mitigate that on those platforms. It may not be effective but there is an attempt. It would be the exact opposite on a Trump-based platform. Instead of removing lies and misinformation, anything that is truthful that doesn't tow the line that trump wants out there will be systematically banned.

No, the fight to save this country will be better off with the demise of Truth Social. It is dedicated to anything but the truth.

I actually think there’s a fairly likely possibility that this is simply another grift from Trump. I read he is actively soliciting donations from his faithful to support this launch. They have evidently used open source software, which is free.

Trump himself is actively spreading lies and conspiracy theories all the time, so I have no illusions that this site will have anything to do with the truth at all.
    Trump needs to develop Alzheimer's and go away. But, who knows people may still pay attention.

I've been on twitter for like 10 years. I assure you, Twitter has absolutely crazy people on it from all spectrums from all different backgrounds. It won't be anything new, you had people believing and spreading conspiracy theories on how Brian Laundrie was hiding in a bunker under the Laundries property in their backyard when its Florida and your foot sinks into the ground at the edge of the Laundries front lawn. The climate there is no different than in most places you'd find in Louisiana. You have people who think the parents planted evidence at the reserve even when a FOX camera crew followed the Laundries their entire visit on the day the remains and personal items were found. When Tumblr went under, all kinda loons joined up on Twitter. You have conspiracy theorist videos all over youtube including flat earther content that features hundreds of hours of debates over how the earth is flat. Twitter mobs have driven people to literal suicide, like adult actress, August Ames a few years ago. Instagram who falls under the umbrella of Facebook has reports of it being a toxic environment to teenage girls. There was also twitter trolling and harassment that led to the suicide of a Japanese Wrestler, Hana Kimura as well.

I'm not sure if I'd join his social media network, I don't have much interest in it at the moment. I'm just hoping it launches and it somewhat competes with what is already out there. My judgement is going to be based on how his social network performs, not what I believe the man to be or how loony I think he is. People are acting(not saying you're acting this way) like other established social media companies don't have massive problems with conspiracy theorists, misinformation, proliferation of bots, especially those that astroturf hashtags have clearly have not used twitter much. Twitter and Facebook are an absolute mess, if this can push them to be better, then its a win for everyone.

It's going to be a big uphill battle to get consumers off the established platforms to join his. Either way, its going to be amusing but I do hope he's able to pull it off.
    Not that your points aren't valid but here you have something actually controlled by one of the candidates. This is akin to state-run media. Legitimate competition would come from another private entity that has more of an economic agenda than a political one.

Trump is the GOP. Period. I wouldn't have any faith in a social media platform run by the DNC and I don't see the difference with Trump's platform.

Also, we can quibble about disinformation, but Trump has done nothing but spread blatant falsehoods designed to undermine the integrity of elections since he lost. Just today he claimed he won Arizona. A claim that is demonstrably false.

Trump needs to develop Alzheimer's and go away. But, who knows people may still pay attention.

How would we tell?

I mean, have you read any of his speeches? They're a word-salad made of aggrievement and lunacy. I mean, I suppose we'd know he's going senile when someone can mention his fingers and not have him flip out.

Did we all forget about Parler (not unreasonable if so)? I feel like a Trump social media network would inevitably just end up being that, in terms of nature, content, and associated problems, only with the addition of literally anyone who criticises Trump getting banned.

Did we all forget about Parler (not unreasonable if so)? I feel like a Trump social media network would inevitably just end up being that, in terms of nature, content, and associated problems, only with the addition of literally anyone who criticises Trump getting banned.
    Of course he does not care -- he is looking for a quick payday.

So, not only is the developer of the open source software used by Truth mulling legal action because Trump didn’t follow the rules for being able to use the software, but now there may have been an SEC violation.

Is there where we talk about Musk poking his finger up the butt of Social Media?

Is there where we talk about Musk poking his finger up the butt of Social Media?

That dude has become annoying af. His ego matches his bank account, which isn't surprising at all, but the masses of regular Joe's that hang on this guy's every action and word as if it's the most transcendent shirt ever is just nauseating. I'll never understand why do so many people in this country (or around the world really) need a master to lead them.

That dude has become annoying af. His ego matches his bank account, which isn't surprising at all, but the masses of regular Joe's that hang on this guy's every action and word as if it's the most transcendent shirt ever is just nauseating. I'll never understand why do so many people in this country (or around the world really) need a master to lead them.
    I agree with you that he has power that is beyond comprehension. I am amazed by how he is able to play so freely with that power when it comes to manipulating securities (stocks, crypto, etc.), but I suppose that security manipulation has been going on longer than the markets themselves.

I do like his approach to Twitter. If you believe people aren’t getting a fair shake then buy a significant % of the company, and have them bend to your will. For the record I believe all social media should be monitored by the FCC. There is a tremendous amount of power on those platforms that they should be regulated like any Fox, NBC, or major platform.

I agree with you that he has power that is beyond comprehension. I am amazed by how he is able to play so freely with that power when it comes to manipulating securities (stocks, crypto, etc.), but I suppose that security manipulation has been going on longer than the markets themselves.

I suppose, he seems to play faster and looser with those rule than just about anybody else. And he has a real disdain for regulation and anybody that tells him he's wrong.

I do like his approach to Twitter. If you believe people aren’t getting a fair shake then buy a significant % of the company, and have them bend to your will. For the record I believe all social media should be monitored by the FCC. There is a tremendous amount of power on those platforms that they should be regulated like any Fox, NBC, or major platform.

Meh, while I have heard numerous complaints about content moderation on social media sites, the people that seem to be screaming the loudest are the one's who are the biggest agitators and spreaders of lies and conspiracies. My personal opinion is that limiting/monitoring of lies and conspiracy are necessary in a free democratic republic because of the harm, danger caused to society. We've seen that play out many times recently. I'm not saying social media companies have gotten the right balance down, I know they can improve, and I don't trust Zuckerberg any more than I trust Musk. But I'm not going to take up the cause right wingers complaining about lies and conspiracies being removed. Those are the same tools that autocrats like Putin and Xi use to warp their populations minds and then kill (literally) and eliminate all dissent. I don't hear the right wing complaining about that because their goals are the same.

I suppose, he seems to play faster and looser with those rule than just about anybody else. And he has a real disdain for regulation and anybody that tells him he's wrong.

Meh, while I have heard numerous complaints about content moderation on social media sites, the people that seem to be screaming the loudest are the one's who are the biggest agitators and spreaders of lies and conspiracies. My personal opinion is that limiting/monitoring of lies and conspiracy are necessary in a free democratic republic because of the harm, danger caused to society. We've seen that play out many times recently. I'm not saying social media companies have gotten the right balance down, I know they can improve, and I don't trust Zuckerberg any more than I trust Musk. But I'm not going to take up the cause right wingers complaining about lies and conspiracies being removed. Those are the same tools that autocrats like Putin and Xi use to warp their populations minds and then kill (literally) and eliminate all dissent. I don't hear the right wing complaining about that because their goals are the same.
    Left, right, center, I think an unchecked social media is no bueno for anyone. People get the majority of their news off of these platforms, so event tighter regulations than what we see with tv and radio are necessary (and I am not one crying for more regulation).

In another thread folks are complaining about politicians feeding people bad information, and folks taking that information and acting (or not acting) on it. Seems folks that are angry with what those politicians are causing to happen would be equally upset with these platforms sharing this piss poor info.

As you mentioned foreign entities are using those same platforms to screw with elections, and disinformation, so amplify the need a well regulated social media by the same amplification as Covid and Social Justice issues. This isn’t something to be taken lightly. Don’t give me an edit button on Twitter, give me a regulated Twitter.

Musk is a funny guy. He is an agent of chaos in poor man’s clothing. He has a hell of a pulpit, and he swings that sick around like a Mongol looking to populate the world.

Left, right, center, I think an unchecked social media is no bueno for anyone. People get the majority of their news off of these platforms, so event tighter regulations than what we see with tv and radio are necessary (and I am not one crying for more regulation).

In another thread folks are complaining about politicians feeding people bad information, and folks taking that information and acting (or not acting) on it. Seems folks that are angry with what those politicians are causing to happen would be equally upset with these platforms sharing this piss poor info.

As you mentioned foreign entities are using those same platforms to screw with elections, and disinformation, so amplify the need a well regulated social media by the same amplification as Covid and Social Justice issues. This isn’t something to be taken lightly. Don’t give me an edit button on Twitter, give me a regulated Twitter.

Musk is a funny guy. He is an agent of chaos in poor man’s clothing. He has a hell of a pulpit, and he swings that sick around like a Mongol looking to populate the world.

I agree with you, but Musk and his acolytes don't want that. They want an unregulated internet with laws preventing social media sites of content moderation.

Also, tv and radio aren't being regulated effectively either. Lies and conspiracy theories and spread just as easily in Fox and other right wing networks and radio and are pushed by those entities to feed their fervent following and maximize profit. So I don't know that that's what we need either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom