Trump snubs Pelosi handshake, Pelosi tears up Trump speech (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

I think we should be clear about the idea - it's not that Republicans have substantially damaged the dignity of the office of the POTUS . . . it's that Donald Trump has. He destroys the dignity of just about everything he gets involved in. Sure, presidents throughout history have had their moments of less than dignified behavior, including Obama and certainly Bill Clinton. But Trump's irresistible compulsion to belittle opponents and critics with schoolyard insults, to trash important American institutions and relationships with ill-conceived and petty rhetoric, and to turn the entire institution of the presidency into an unending campaign speech has damaged the dignity of the office far more than any other as a measure of both volume and magnitude.

I don't think it's fair to Republicans to attribute everything Trump does to the entire party. I don't even think Trump is a Republican, he's an opportunist and a demagogue. I look forward to a restoration of dignity when someone new is in the office - no matter that person's party.

I agree with this except I think, at this point, the enablers deserve some of the credit for Trump's debasing of the office.

I think we should be clear about the idea - it's not that Republicans have substantially damaged the dignity of the office of the POTUS . . . it's that Donald Trump has. He destroys the dignity of just about everything he gets involved in. Sure, presidents throughout history have had their moments of less than dignified behavior, including Obama and certainly Bill Clinton. But Trump's irresistible compulsion to belittle opponents and critics with schoolyard insults, to trash important American institutions and relationships with ill-conceived and petty rhetoric, and to turn the entire institution of the presidency into an unending campaign speech has damaged the dignity of the office far more than any other as a measure of both volume and magnitude.

I don't think it's fair to Republicans to attribute everything Trump does to the entire party. I don't even think Trump is a Republican, he's an opportunist and a demagogue. I look forward to a restoration of dignity when someone new is in the office - no matter that person's party.
    That I definitely agree with. The one thing that is substantially different in all this is the way Trump conducts himself vs previous Presidents.

It starts at the top and his poor leadership and decorum has only served to make things worse.

Would have been an easy win for trump as he could have been the bigger man simply because he identifies as male and he's obese. Pelosi couldn't match that. Instead he chose to meet her on her level and be a bigger female dog. Bravo trump. You showed her.

Just to be sure I understand....after both Trump and Pelosi acted like children.....you are saying that it is Trump who is acting out of character?

The stone throwing going on at Trump.com .... err Foxnews.com is comical in it's absurdity and hypocrisy.

1580939682176.png

Thanks for the well thought out and a very honest reply. I agree with you to an extent on past presidential behavior and for sure present presidential behavior. But I also think that the democratic politicians and the MSM has been just as guilty and in my opinion far more responsible for the degradation of dignity of the office of POTUS.
    For reals?

C'mon.

Didn't a Republican yell "you lie" to Obama during one of his State of the Union speeches?

This shirt is all basically the same unless I'm misunderstanding your point.
    Imagine if Democrats started yelling "you lie" after every lie that Trump told during the speech. I think he would still be speaking due to the tremendous number of interruptions that would be needed.

For reals?

C'mon.
    I do. We are know Trump is thin skinned and childish to a degree but you can't look at the actions of the Democratic leadership and not say the same thing, if not more. Sitting in a speech at your job and you are playing on your phone, giggling with your friends, walking out when a Supreme court justice's name is brought up because it is triggering (?), tearing up a speech by 3 parts to make sure the camera got the right angle all the while telling us that the president is the child in the room and they are the adults? Get the fork out of here with that. Trump didn't break American Politics by himself, he has plenty of help and the vast majority of the american people are getting really tired of children running around in Washington getting rich as they play us lie the fools we all are.

tearing up a speech by 3 parts to make sure the camera got the right angle all the while telling us that the president is the child in the room and they are the adults?
    It's not childish to be disgusted by disgusting things.

I do. We are know Trump is thin skinned and childish to a degree but you can't look at the actions of the Democratic leadership and not say the same thing, if not more. Sitting in a speech at your job and you are playing on your phone, giggling with your friends, walking out when a Supreme court justice's name is brought up because it is triggering (?), tearing up a speech by 3 parts to make sure the camera got the right angle all the while telling us that the president is the child in the room and they are the adults? Get the fork out of here with that. Trump didn't break American Politics by himself, he has plenty of help and the vast majority of the american people are getting really tired of children running around in Washington getting rich as they play us lie the fools we all are.
    I don't deny those things aren't conducive to showing respect or even maturity, nor that it's not just Trump breaking American Politics; however, saying those things have degraded the dignity of the office of the POTUS "far more" than Donald Trump's actual actions, tweets, and speeches? Again, I find that incredibly hard to fathom.

But I also think that the democratic politicians and the MSM has been just as guilty and in my opinion far more responsible for the degradation of dignity of the office of POTUS.

I don't deny those things aren't conducive to showing respect or even maturity, nor that it's not just Trump breaking American Politics; however, saying those things have degraded the dignity of the office of the POTUS "far more" than Donald Trump's actual actions, tweets, and speeches? Again, I find that incredibly hard to fathom.
    We shall disagree on this one then. I don't see me convincing you that left has been more toxic with regards to the office in the last 3 years and I don't think you can convince me that Trump has the high score. Most of political leaders are really lacking in most overall redeeming qualities.

She also acted like a petulant child and was "playing for the camera" when she ripped up the speech in plain view for all to see.

So.... I have no idea why you felt to say anything like that. I wasnt making fun of Trump there.

I suppose you think that was terribly clever.

Thanks for the opportunity to revisit this. When I posted that, I just assumed that she was having an unhinged moment. It had not occurred to me that she could have possibly thought this through.

I did not, however, realize that she had sat there during the speech making little tears in the paper to make it easier to dramatically rip the document up during her moment.

So, this woman who sat through the speech mouthing and pointing at the House Democrats in an effort to make them behave like sane adults was planning on making that scene at the end. Maybe she cut a deal with the Marxist wing of her party - they would stay relatively in line and she would act for the resistance at the end.

I guess she felt she had to do something, it was a terrible week for her and her party. Iowa was worse than anyone would have imagined. After three years of searching for a reason to impeach, that was going to fail miserably the next day. On top of it all, she had to sit behind the man who withstood it all and was somehow stronger than ever.

She was just lashing out in a senseless gesture because that's what she was down to.

I tell ya, I do love the faux outrage by Trumpite conservatives

Triggered by a piece of paper being torn up. Don't bat an eye when their dear leader moves to kick people off of Medicaid.

You gotta love it. They march blindly.

I tell ya, I do love the faux outrage by Trumpite conservatives

Triggered by a piece of paper being torn up. Don't bat an eye when their dear leader moves to kick people off of Medicaid.

You gotta love it. They march blindly.

What? I didn't see anyone get kicked off Medicaid. Was it one of the guests at the SOTU?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom