Trump signs order targeting Illegal Aliens in the US census (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

BobE

Guv'nor
    Reaction score
    Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump signed a presidential memorandum on Tuesday that would exclude undocumented immigrants from being counted in congressional districts when district lines are redrawn next year.
    The memorandum marks the Trump administration's latest effort to change the way US populations are counted and advance the President's immigration agenda, and like previous efforts is certain to end up in court.
    "I have accordingly determined that respect for the law and protection of the integrity of the democratic process warrant the exclusion of illegal aliens from the apportionment base, to the extent feasible and to the maximum extent of the President's discretion under the law," the executive order states.
    Trump has long sought to use the US census as a way to advance his immigration priorities but the Supreme Court rejected an attempt to ask respondents if they are US citizens in 2019. The administration, however, is allowed to collect information on citizenship status by other means.

There will be lawyers and courts

Washington (CNN)President Donald Trump signed a presidential memorandum on Tuesday that would exclude undocumented immigrants from being counted in congressional districts when district lines are redrawn next year.
    The memorandum marks the Trump administration's latest effort to change the way US populations are counted and advance the President's immigration agenda, and like previous efforts is certain to end up in court.
    "I have accordingly determined that respect for the law and protection of the integrity of the democratic process warrant the exclusion of illegal aliens from the apportionment base, to the extent feasible and to the maximum extent of the President's discretion under the law," the executive order states.
    Trump has long sought to use the US census as a way to advance his immigration priorities but the Supreme Court rejected an attempt to ask respondents if they are US citizens in 2019. The administration, however, is allowed to collect information on citizenship status by other means.

There will be lawyers and courts
    This EO will be rescinded on January 21, 2020. This is nothing more than Trump throwing red meat to his base.

This EO will be rescinded on January 21, *2020. This is nothing more than Trump throwing red meat to his base.

Well to be fair it seemed like the DACA EO would have just simply rescinded yet here we are. Also *2021 ;)

Also *2021 ;)
    Good catch. If only it were true, we wouldn't have 140K dead Americans and 13 million people unemployed.
    Unlike the Trump administration, Biden's team will be working on making sure that all the "t's" are crossed and "i's" dotted to revoke EO's from the Trump administration the night after the election. I'd be surprised if this is not a day-1 item.

None of this bothers you all? How many of you thought what Obama did was horrible overreach, yet say nothing about this man who cares nothing about our Constitution nor our system of government?

None of this bothers you all? How many of you thought what Obama did was horrible overreach, yet say nothing about this man who cares nothing about our Constitution nor our system of government?

I have a break between meetings so I will make a very long story very short. Those that cried about Obama doing it loved this. Those that loved Obama doing it are crying over this.

I have a break between meetings so I will make a very long story very short. Those that cried about Obama doing it loved this. Those that loved Obama doing it are crying over this.
    Are you trying to insinuate that Obama put out an executive order in 2010 to exclude undocumented immigrants from the 2010 census count used for the 2010 congressional reapportionment?

Are you trying to insinuate that Obama put out an executive order in 2010 to exclude undocumented immigrants from the 2010 census count used for the 2010 congressional reapportionment?

Well I have no idea what an undocumented immigrant is. He did do an illegal one for Illegal Aliens though but it had nothing to do with the census.

That would be DACA and it was for Dreamers. Kids who were brought here as babies or small children (other words, no fault of their own). These kids have been in limbo forever. DACA was to give them protections as citizens

That would be DACA and it was for Dreamers. Kids who were brought here as babies or small children (other words, no fault of their own). These kids have been in limbo forever. DACA was to give them protections as citizens

Not exactly. There are many rights that citizens have that DACA participants don't have. DACA is basically a non-enforcement EO for children of undocumented immigrants that prevents their removal if they meet a list of requirements and they registar for the program. It also grants them a few additional rights like the right to be educated and get scholarships at schools and the right to employment. But it's very limited as it doesn't give them a path to full citizenship as that would be outside of the presidents authority.

But yeah, lets confuse that with what Trump is doing in this EO with the census that is clearly not constitutional and will be thrown out as soon as it's challenged in court. How do they even determine who is illegeal and who isn't if they couldn't ask the question on the census? Can you imagine how many mistakes would be made and how many people wouldn't be counted if they were allowed to do this. What's even dumber is that they assume this is only going to effect "liberal" areas and congressional representation. Do they even know how many undocumented immigrants there are in Texas? Stupid upon stupid with this administration.

Coldseat, Yes you are correct. I was just trying to give the gist of what the previous EO was about.

it certainly was much different than eliminating the whole point of the census, which is to determine how many people live here, not how many citizens there are

And getting told by the SC that what you want to do is against the constitution and then just doing it anyway.

Well I have no idea what an undocumented immigrant is. He did do an illegal one for Illegal Aliens though but it had nothing to do with the census.
    Seriously? You're going to play petty games over descriptions? You honestly don't know that undocumented immigrants and illegal aliens are the same?

The Supreme Court has upheld DACA, you know that right? You know that what Obama did was not illegal, right?

So you knew you were insinuating a false comparison between what Trump just did and something Obama did in the past, right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom