Trump loyalists in Congress to challenge Electoral College results in Jan. 6 joint session (Update: Insurrectionists storm Congress)(And now what?) (4 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    I guess it's time to start a thread for this. We know that at least 140 members of Congress have pledged to join the objection. Under federal law, if at least one member of each house (HOR and Senate) objects, each house will adjourn the joint session for their own session (limited at two hours) to take up the objection. If both houses pass a resolution objecting to the EC result, further action can take place. If both houses do not (i.e. if one or neither passes a resolution), the objection is powerless and the college result is certified.

Clearly this is political theater as we know such a resolution will not pass the House, and there's good reason to think it wouldn't pass the Senate either (with or without the two senators from Georgia). The January 6 joint session is traditionally a ceremonial one. This one will not be.

Many traditional pillars of Republican support have condemned the plan as futile and damaging. Certainly the Trump loyalists don't care - and many are likely doing it for fundraising purposes or to carry weight with the fraction of their constituencies that think this is a good idea.

Here is at least one of the tours. The people circled were allegedly in the Capitol the next day, the guy says at least one has been arrested.

View attachment 3510
    I don’t like her but this photo is not on January 5. It was taken in 2019.

I'm sorry, but screw Donald J. Trump and the horse he rode in on. You reap what you sow. I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep if this piece of trash died in a fire. He quite literally deserves to have been deplatformed by every social media outlet he was a member of and would have been banned years ago if he weren't president.

Watching (more listening really) the impeachment hearing today was embarrassing as an American. These freshmen Congresswomen Q-Anon cultists like Boebert (I don't care how sexy she is, she is an utter moron) from Colorado and Greene from Georgia who have been in elected office for like eleven minutes trying to act like Trump was innocent in what happened last week made me want to vomit. (Boebert is so tough that she spent her first days in Congress taking pics with her Glock strapped to her hip.) She is the same woman who is so bad arse that she reported a tweet I made in reply to her saying that the government wasn't going to stop her from having 50+ people over without masks for Xmas because freedom (not to mention that the government wasn't stopping anything, just making suggestions) -- all I said was that she and everyone who participated deserved to get infected and deserves the karma they incur from infecting people who weren't part of her stupid "stick it to COVID Xmas" event who ended up getting really sick and/or dying.

Scalise's closing statement was just stupid and Hoyer made him look even stupider than his own idiotic closing statement.

I'm just glad that ten republican house members voted to impeach and that McConnell is willing to convict in the Senate even if it is after Biden takes office. Trump must be prevented from ever holding federal office again. That's step one in squashing the whole MAGA movement, IMO.

As an aside, sorry for my absence from the board since 12/26. Got in a bad wreck on I-10 that broke ribs 4-9 in 10 places and had to have ten titanium plates put in to reattach the ribs, 4 of which in the back that had broken clean off and we're just swimming around in my back. With the plates, my rib cage is more solid than before but I'm in a world of hurt from all the muscle and tissue that had to be cut through to do the surgery. They've got me on pain medication that I'm barely taking because it doesn't do much at all. Nothing compared to the anti-inflammatory meds and muscle relaxers. Anyway, looking forward to being around again and talking all kinds of nonsense as these coming days pass.

As an aside, sorry for my absence from the board since 12/26. Got in a bad wreck on I-10 that broke ribs 4-9 in 10 places and had to have ten titanium plates put in to reattach the ribs, 4 of which in the back that had broken clean off and we're just swimming around in my back. With the plates, my rib cage is more solid than before but I'm in a world of hurt from all the muscle and tissue that had to be cut through to do the surgery. They've got me on pain medication that I'm barely taking because it doesn't do much at all. Nothing compared to the anti-inflammatory meds and muscle relaxers. Anyway, looking forward to being around again and talking all kinds of nonsense as these coming days pass.

Oof, sorry to hear all that. But welcome back Wolverine

@insidejob, glad you're ok meng. Oh and, that gun-toting HS dropout in Congress can't avoid the metal detectors anymore unless she wants to lose $$$ lol...

139000663_2990727744530256_3420492220729444874_o.jpg

I'm going to use this as a jumping off point for a couple things going on in my head.

First, I'm a big fan of the right to protest and believe civil disobedience is an extremely important tool to effect change, as long as you believe enough in your cause to go to jail for it. And yes, I think putting maximum pressure on representatives is fine (so long as it's not violent). So, while there is a certain temptation to try to treat this like we imagine those same Trump supporters probably treated BLM protestors, I think it's important to make sure I'm being specific in what I'm criticizing.

So, for example with Ali here. I don't see anything wrong with the statement in this video about wanting to put maximum pressure on legislatures. He did specifically state that he imagined his protestors to be outside. It seems clear to me that his intent was to make Republicans believe that they risked losing massive support if they don't vote the way they want. I don't see anything wrong with that. Now, of course what they wanted was unconstitutional and idiotic, but I don't think they were being seditious.

So, I think there really should be a differentiation between people who were dumb and believed the lies they were told and were protesting based on that - even those that tried to occupy the Capitol building; and those that were ready for actual war. Some of them still committed illegal acts, and should be punished based off that -- but in the same way that I think other protestors should be punished for crimes they commit while protesting.

The second point is how should law enforcement have responded to this. There's going to be a lengthy review of this, and it's clear that they were not adequately prepared for what happened. My general thoughts are there should have been enough forces to prevent people from entering the capitol building. They should have been equipped with non-lethal means to repel people from entering, but that should not be used pre-emptively. This is some Monday Morning Quarterbacking on my part because I generally don't think you should meet a protest with riot gear, because that tends to escalate things. However, there were a lot of reports of specific threats of intent to occupy the building.

Barring enough man power to prevent the occupation, my next preference would be safely evacuating people. I do not think we should be lighting up people storming the capitol. I always value human life over property and this is no exception. I don't fault the Capitol Police with not trying to arrest people within the Rotunda etc after the breach. I do not believe that could have been done safely. At that point, what should be done is gathering as much intel as possible to make arrests later.

I guess this is a bit of a ramble, but I think it's important to outline what is the proper way to deal with protestors - and from what I've seen the majority of those people were just dumb protestors. There were certainly more malicious actors there, and that's another category that needs a different response.
    This is thoughtful. What’s your opinion on the female protestor that was shot? Or Capitol police letting Reps skip metal detectors?

This is thoughtful. What’s your opinion on the female protestor that was shot? Or Capitol police letting Reps skip metal detectors?
    See my post above yours re: what's going on w/ the metal detectors.

I'm just going to leave this here

glad you mentioned it b/c my first thought was I wonder if they'll be like trump and just not pay.
    Speaking of not paying... Womp womp...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom