Trump Indictment ( includes NY AG and Fed documents case ) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveSBrickNJ

Reaction score
    Former President D. Trump has been indicted by a New York Grand Jury. There will be much to talk about on this topic because this is just the first step in a lengthy process.
    Possibly it is worthy of its own thread here rather than posting about Trump's indictment in already existing threads? :unsure:
    This 3/31/23 story might get the ball rolling....

Impeachment & January 6th didn't work so this weak case is really what the Democrats want to hang their hat on?

Doesn't the 6th amendment guarantee the right of a criminal defendant to know the charges against themselves?

Impeachment & January 6th didn't work so this weak case is really what the Democrats want to hang their hat on?

Doesn't the 6th amendment guarantee the right of a criminal defendant to know the charges against themselves?

Hardly anyone is hanging their hat on this case though. I certainly am not and will remain skeptical until Trump is actually convicted of something. There are other cases that probably have a better chance than this one.

To the last point....

The highlighted portion is not a part of any charges listed in the indictment. I don't see anywhere in that portion where it claims that a law was violated.

But, the very next paragraph does say that one component of the scheme involved Michael Cohen (identified as "Lawyer A") making a payment to an adult film actress, and includes the sentence "This payment was illegal, and Lawyer A has since pleaded guilty to making an illegal campaign contribution and served time in prison."

So, those two paragraphs pretty clearly say that Trump orchestrated a scheme to make an illegal payment to Stormy Daniels, and that the lawyer who made that payment for Trump was charged with that illegal payment, pleaded guilty, and was jailed for it. You don't have to be a Harvard Law graduate to connect the dots and see that the federal law they are claiming Trump violated is the one that Michael Cohen was actually jailed for violating (you know, not in a similar crime, but in this exact crime)

SFL: you are responding with criticisms that are totally invalid to this case. What your tweeters aren’t telling you is that according to NY law, the DA doesn’t have to disclose the parts he didn’t disclose at this point in the process. Nothing nefarious about it, even though the astute legal mind that is Techo Fog wants you to think it’s some sort of conspiracy.

He will disclose the facts when he needs to. Overheated rhetoric from biased sources is all you have posted.

Also, if this is such a weak case, then Trump will beat it, right? Why do you object to letting the justice system work? Maybe they allow Trump to plead down to the misdemeanor charges - nobody thinks he didn’t do those, right? He still broke the law, repeatedly, in this scheme and allowed his lawyer to go to prison for it. His co-conspirators in Wieselberg and Pecker struck deals to avoid prosecution.

Why exactly should Trump escape prosecution for a scheme he directed?

Hardly anyone is hanging their hat on this case though. I certainly am not and will remain skeptical until Trump is actually convicted of something. There are other cases that probably have a better chance than this one.

It's kind of hilarious. It's general understood this is the weakest of 3 potential cases.

Also, the Soros-backed garbage is just an anti-Semitic dog whistle and shouldn’t be allowed on this board, IMO. It’s an invalid claim to begin with in any meaningful way besides the veiled racism.

Also, the Soros-backed garbage is just an anti-Semitic dog whistle and shouldn’t be allowed on this board, IMO. It’s an invalid claim to begin with in any meaningful way besides the veiled racism.

Yeah all you have to do is follow that up with "What are you saying, you want to ban wealthy people from influencing elections?"

SFL: you are responding with criticisms that are totally invalid to this case. What your tweeters aren’t telling you is that according to NY law, the DA doesn’t have to disclose the parts he didn’t disclose at this point in the process. Nothing nefarious about it, even though the astute legal mind that is Techo Fog wants you to think it’s some sort of conspiracy.

He will disclose the facts when he needs to. Overheated rhetoric from biased sources is all you have posted.

Also, if this is such a weak case, then Trump will beat it, right? Why do you object to letting the justice system work? Maybe they allow Trump to plead down to the misdemeanor charges - nobody thinks he didn’t do those, right? He still broke the law, repeatedly, in this scheme and allowed his lawyer to go to prison for it. His co-conspirators in Wieselberg and Pecker struck deals to avoid prosecution.

Why exactly should Trump escape prosecution for a scheme he directed?
    I heard today that the statute of limitation for the misdemeanor is only 2 years. Even though NY Law has some means to allow NY to stop counting time for various reasons, such as when the person doesn't live in the state, apparently there is a chance that the limits will have been exceeded. That may explain why Bragg charged a felony, which has a longer statute of limitation period. If the felony case is lost, the whole thing could be lost.

There were 3 additional crimes though. One other state crime besides tax fraud. And from what I have read they charge planned tax fraud all the time when they discover “cooked” books. That’s the main reason to cook books, isn’t it? They will use them to commit tax fraud.
    I've heard that NY does frequently prosecute tax fraud, but I believe that is just a misdemeanor.

I've heard that NY does frequently prosecute tax fraud, but I believe that is just a misdemeanor.
    doesn’t the second crime, whether a misdemeanor or not, bump the falsifying a business record up to a felony? I don’t think there is a requirement that the second crime be a felony.

Trump's legal team will also need to focus on this....

doesn’t the second crime, whether a misdemeanor or not, bump the falsifying a business record up to a felony? I don’t think there is a requirement that the second crime be a felony.
    Yes. I saw something the other day saying that the idea of upgrading a misdemeanor financial crime to a felony by relating it to a federal crime is not new. Apparently it was done before with a large bank. But, the bank ended up pleading guilty, so the theory has never been tested in court.

Trump's legal team will also need to focus on this....
    We probably need a separate thread for each indictment and then maybe a catch-all thread for civil suits. Not even kidding.

Post 180: "Bragg is soft on crime! What an butt crevasse!"

Post 181: "Bragg is going too hard! What an butt crevasse!"
    This reminds me so much of the Trump voter who had her own life affected early on by one of his policies and said - he’s not hurting the people he’s supposed to hurt. Lol.

I would like an explanation from our Trump apologist why he feels like white collar crime shouldn’t be prosecuted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom