The Voting Thread (Procedures, Turnout, Legal Challenges)(Update: Trump to file suit in PA, MI, WI, AZ, NV, GA) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Lapaz

Reaction score
    There is a lot of push-back from Trump on voting by mail, but most states allow it, and 1/3 allow it without any excuse. His rationale is that it will lead to vast fraud, but of course that isn't his real reason. His real reason is that he thinks it will be worse for conservatives, but studies have shown that states that have instituted much broader voting by mail haven't had any statistical changes in party voting.

Although, normally voting by mail doesn't affect party votes, I bet it might this year if we have another resurgence of Covid, because I think the right is much more apt to discount the virus than the left. I know that is why Trump is against it.

Whether you're left or right wing, expanding mail in votes is the right thing to do to reduce the likelihood of spreading the virus, to expand voter participation, and to make it easier for those that do show up to stay distant. It will also allow any people with susceptibilities to remain safer. I think voting by mail could be made extremely secure by having people vote using traditional postal mail, coupled with requiring a confirmation either by phone, email or text. If done by phone, then voters can provide confirmation that can include confirming their form number. If done by email or text, it can include a picture of their form, and then confirmation that that was their form. Rather than staffers individually calling people, this can be automated by having voters call the number, text the number, or email the address provided to them on their form. A website can even be created with a database of those that have voted, and perhaps a link to allow people to confirm their vote was correctly registered. For people without computers, a site can include a means to access the database over the phone with some confirmation information. These types of systems are used extensively by banks and other sites that need security, so I think they are mature enough to use. We could even use such a site for people to confirm their vote on the day of the election.

PA certified the election results this morning. While the Trump campaign is asking the Third Circuit for an emergency injunction preventing that from happening, that seems moot now. But they'll continue with the charade to try to raise some $$$ anyway.

I don't think he needs to worry, they won't make anyone think any less of him than they already did.

That scene always reminds me of someone (forgot who) saying that SNL doesn't even have to do a parity of that scene, just roll it as it is!!!!

I had just read that article, it is a great read. I don’t know how a large portion of the Republican Party can ever lay claim to legitimacy again after reading that. That the top R official in Michigan and the head of the RNC were actively pressuring the state canvassing board to go against MI law and refuse to certify the election is just amazing. They so easily put their allegiance to Trump over the rule of law and the will of the people. The lone R canvasser who voted as his duty demanded is now getting death threats.

It’s sobering to think that one man’s courage is all that stood between an orderly election report and pure chaos.

Oh Republicans ... even when all of the attacks, lies and conspiracies come from one side, they still try to always both sides it.

You can feel his contempt for Stacy Abrams, that "failed gubernatorial candidate." That woman and her efforts made him and outcast in his own party that he's still loyal to. :smilielol:

Very sobering article
    ==================

That breeze you felt recently was a national sigh of relief that the 2020 election might finally, at long last, be over. Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and the other close states have, or soon will have, certified the results.

Judges have unceremoniously thrown out the dubious legal claims that thousands, or hundreds of thousands or millions of votes should be disallowed.

Foreign leaders and business tycoons are reaching out to President-elect Biden, and that GSA bureaucrat—with the reluctant approval of President Donald Trump—is finally allowing the mechanics of the transition to begin. On Tuesday, the Dow cracked 30,000, in an apparent celebration of stability.

The guardrails held, right?

Not so fast. Though it appears that the rightful winner is heading to the White House in January, this post-election season has revealed that those “guardrails” are dangerously weak, and in some cases nonexistent.

It was heartening to see state and local officials of both parties, and state and federal judges, resist the demands of Trump and his allies to reject the results.

But the fact that it came to that at all is troubling—and shows just how plausible it would be for things to break the other way next time..........

The first impression you want to make with the judge is to tell him or her that you're too lazy or sloppy to at least run your document through spell-check, much less proofread it, before filing.

Anyone got links to the full complaints?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom