The extreme left agenda: What are some elements of it? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

TheRealTruth

Reaction score
    This thread is in reference to Richard stating he did not like the extreme left agenda and I was curious to the finer points of what he had said. (Also this is not singling out Richard, just starting a thread of its own because he didn't want to address it in the other thread) What exactly do people not like about the extreme left agenda.

(There will also be a post about the extreme right agenda as well for fairness)

I guess when we call it "extreme left," we're talking about the farthest left of the progressive wing of American politics, right?

So here's pretty much the far-left progressive American agenda as I see it, a generally pretty far-left American.

Universal Healthcare
    Universal Basic Income
    Pathways to citizenship for undocumented immigrants
    Generally welcoming immigration policies (but not open borders, as it is often characterized by the right)
    Reasonable gun purchase restrictions, and bans on assault-style weapons
    Legal abortion in all cases (but not like 2 days before delivery, and certainly not post-delivery, as it is often characterized by the right).
    Fairness in middle-eastern policy. Valuing and supporting Israel as an ally, while not backing them unconditionally when they do wrong.
    Equal rights for LGBTQ citizens.
    Significant, systematic police reform
    Real steps for protecting the environment and reducing emissions to slow climate change

Probably some other things I missed.

Last edited:
    I guess when we call it "extreme left," we're talking about the farthest left of the progressive wing of American politics, right?

So here's pretty much the far-left progressive American agenda as I see it, a generally pretty far-left American.

Universal Healthcare
    Universal Basic Income
    Generally welcoming immigration policies (but not open borders, as it is often characterized by the right)
    Legal abortion in all cases (but not like 2 days before delivery, and certainly not post-delivery, as it is often characterized by the right).
    Fairness in middle-eastern policy. Valuing and supporting Israel as an ally, while not backing them unconditionally when they do wrong.

I would tack on environmental and energy issues as well.

Civil rights and women’s rights. At least an attempt to even the playing field.

Universal Healthcare
    Universal Basic Income
    Real steps for protecting the environment and reducing emissions to slow climate change

Universal basic income is the only one I would not get behind. All others seem like reasonable topics for discussion and consideration.

Universal Healthcare
    Universal Basic Income

I don't have time to give a detailed response right now, but many of those are not extreme views. I was more curious about what Richard had stated as far left agenda.

But when I get the chance I can show you MANY on the far left are for open borders, you can just search the term 'open borders' and find quite a bit of commentary from left leaning sources on the subject.

Also there are many on the far left calling for the banning of all guns.

I don't really get this thread.

I don't get when someone far right looks at a random child and thinks they want them to grow up and not have access to healthcare, education without extreme loans, a wrecked environment, a staggering national debt to pay, and on and on.

It absolutely makes no sense to me.

So if you already know what the far left believes, or what you think they believe, and didn’t want to hear what we think, I guess I’m confused.

I admit I am not “far left” but I do inhabit a bit of a left leaning community on line. I havent seen anyone advocating for open borders or banning all guns. That may be a really radical fringe.

I guess I don‘t get the point of this thread.

I mean, we can discuss extreme far-left things in other countries, communism and the like. But that’s not what the far-left in America is advocating for, so I didn’t figure that’s what we were talking about.

This thread is in reference to Richard stating he did not like the extreme left agenda and I was curious to the finer points of what he had said. (Also this is not singling out Richard, just starting a thread of its own because he didn't want to address it in the other thread) What exactly do people not like about the extreme left agenda.

(There will also be a post about the extreme right agenda as well for fairness)

I would surely assume it's the Green New Deal and the right-wing twisted rhetoric about "defunding" the police. It may also include some of the various fringe ideas of basic income and maybe, depending on his perspective, an expansion or renewal of obamacare or even medicare for all.

Those are big ideas. They're way outside of the mainstream, but so was women's suffrage 100 years ago.

Universal basic income is the only one I would not get behind. All others seem like reasonable topics for discussion and consideration.

I am nowhere near UBI, but it's sad that the discussion wouldn't even be happening were we to have done a better job over the past 50 years or so of making it possible for the middle and lower class to actually acquire some wealth.

Instead, we cut taxes for the rich, rigged out system to benefit them and cut our noses off while watching in the mirror as our kids are mired in crummy education, sub-standard infrastructure and crippling healthcare costs.

Instead, we cut taxes for the rich, rigged out system to benefit them and cut our noses off while watching in the mirror as our kids are mired in crummy education, sub-standard infrastructure and crippling healthcare costs.
    Not to mention crippling education costs.

I don't have time to give a detailed response right now, but many of those are not extreme views. I was more curious about what Richard had stated as far left agenda.

What do YOU define as "far left agenda"?

But when I get the chance I can show you MANY on the far left are for open borders, you can just search the term 'open borders' and find quite a bit of commentary from left leaning sources on the subject.

Then show us that - and maybe that will help define what "open borders" actually means. Anti-immigration, pro-immigration, and "open borders" can all mean different things.

Also there are many on the far left calling for the banning of all guns.

That might be, but the NRA has been warning about banning guns since I was old enough to read. Yet, guns have never been banned, ever. And never will be, because of the Second Amendment. So even though I'm a gun enthusiast I'm not voting for people who are going to fork me in every other way simply because they are all "Guns, yeaahhh!!!" If you're a single issue voter who votes Republican because of guns or abortion, know this. They aren't serving you. They are using you. They'll give you your judges and gun rights as long as you empower them to help the wealthy and the capitalists. Wake up.

how is this for an example?

I work in hospitals and do direct patient care, but i don't claim to be an expert on the financial aspects to know the perfect solution. I hate the insurance companies and some costs can be reduced in hospitals if insurance companies are gone and cost changes are made in hospitals.

But Medicare pays pennies on the dollars and it's not a realistic system to have for everyone unless you are okay with a decrease in quality of care and long waits for important procedures. Hospitals don't have the staff to handle the huge influx of new patients even if funding isn't an issue.

A system that can give the same quality of care is going to be much more expensive than Bernie's plan. It's important to be honest about the cost for such a huge change to the Healthcare system. Many hospitals would close if Medicare for all was implemented with the proposed reimbursement rates.

Universal Healthcare for the world. (As stated by Kamala Harris when she stated that noone should ever be denied Healthcare)
    Abolition of the Police and Prisons, (As stated by AOC and a random speaker at the DNC Convention)
    No Cash Bail so all criminals are immediately released back into society (already a thing in democratic run cities around the country)
    Ensure Abortion rights apply to men too. Because Men can have abortions (per Joe Biden)
    Mandatory Gun Buybacks (As stated by Beto O'Rourke) which will eventually lead to abolishing gun rights.
    Complete Abstinence from Fossil Fuels (Green New Deal) Bye Bye Louisiana economy
    Removal of information from history taught in schools that the left doesn't agree with. (already happening and also championed by a speaker at the DNC convention)
    Open Borders (don't even try to say it hasn't been championed by multiple former Dem Pres Nom's and many congress people)
    America is actually a very bad and evil country, rooted in systemic racism and the hatred of minorities (despite the fact that said minorities have more wealth, opportunity to achieve wealth and success than any other nation in the world)

You can word those points in the OP to make the seem benign, but that's not what has actually been stated in interviews and speeches. People see through that BS. At the end of the day, all the Left seeks is power. You can tell by the speeches being given at the DNC. Nobody is discussing actual policies are ways they are going to make normal, everyday American's life better. The only thing they are saying is, "You have to vote for Biden so we can make sure Trump doesn't get re-elected!!" That's the true platform of the DNC. It's all they have. Give us power and we'll take care of you. Don't ask us how, just trust that we'll take care of you.

All you have to do is look at NYC, Phili, Balt, Chi, DC, LA, San Fran, Oak, Port, Sea, Minn, and many other Dem run cities to see what happens when these policies produce.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom