Tennessee legislature expels two black Democrats for gun-control demonstration on house floor (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    A third white female Democrat that joined in the demonstration was not expelled (saved by a single vote).

The Republicans argue that the demonstration for gun control to protest the Nashville school shooting was so out of order that it compels the members’ expulsion.

I started a thread because this development is now about something different, not the gun debate.

The expulsion proceedings threatened to strip more than 200,000 Tennesseans of their elected representation and mark just the fourth time since the end of the Civil War in which the House ousted sitting lawmakers. No House member has ever been removed from elected office for simply violating decorum rules.

As i was dozing off last night, i caught the audio of R- Sexton who equated their "disruption" to that of the Jan 6 insurrection. He actually said aloud that this "might be worse than Jan 6"

Im not sure what is happening within the Republican party, but it sure seems to me that we are now watching localities vie for their own little "fiefdom" - and it could be within the bigger picture of capture the smaller areas to aid the larger, national aspirations. Something is a foot inside that party and i dont know what their end game is, but i know its not about having a balance of power. Seems more like aggregating power.

Blatant racism at work in the Tennessee Legislature coupled with aggressive and vindictive abuse of power. This is a play as old as slavery in America.

The only question is will this push enough of the white working rural voters to stop voting for and putting the GOP in power. I have to hope that not all of the white working class is as racist as these politicians they elected in Tennessee.

As i was dozing off last night, i caught the audio of R- Sexton who equated their "disruption" to that of the Jan 6 insurrection. He actually said aloud that this "might be worse than Jan 6"

Im not sure what is happening within the Republican party, but it sure seems to me that we are now watching localities vie for their own little "fiefdom" - and it could be within the bigger picture of capture the smaller areas to aid the larger, national aspirations. Something is a foot inside that party and i dont know what their end game is, but i know its not about having a balance of power. Seems more like aggregating power.

I think what is happening to the Republican Party is that the veneer is off and we are seeing, time and again, how comfortable they are, outwardly embracing their extremism (which they view as the natural order). Instead of the ugliness of a Lee Atwater being recorded and leaked, it's on public display, and it's time for people to trust what they see; that this is - very proudly - the party of Christian (predominantly white) nationalism to its core. You look at any single event and it might be easy to spin, but as a total picture - the culture wars being waged, the attacks on vulnerable groups, the blatant bigotry and misogyny - the big picture isn't some kind of indecipherable mystery. They believe they are at war with immorality and anybody that isn't aligned with their cause is an enemy who must be defeated. Anybody who continues to believe this isn't that serious isn't paying nearly enough attention and is, even if unintentionally, complicit in the rapid erosion of American democracy.

Last edited:
    It is the party of Trumpism afterall.. defined by me, at least in part, as "the rejection of democratic norms and ideals in pursuit of obtaining, maintaining, and wielding (far) right-wing political power."

Dismiss the severity of January 6th only to claim that this rises to the level of expulsion? Seems in character..

Last edited:
    I think what is happening to the Republican Party is that the veneer is off and we are seeing, time and again, how comfortable they are, outwardly embracing their extremism (which they view as the natural order). Instead of the ugliness of a Lee Atwater being recorded and leaked, it's on public display, and it's time for people to trust what they see; that this is - very proudly - the party of Christian (predominantly white) nationalism to its core. You look at any single event and it might be easy to spin, but as a total picture - the culture wars being waged, the attacks on vulnerable groups, the blatant bigotry and misogyny - the big picture isn't some kind of indecipherable mystery. They believe they are at war with immorality and anybody that isn't aligned with their cause is an enemy who must be defeated. Anybody who continues to believe this isn't that serious isn't paying nearly enough attention and is, even if unintentionally, complicit in the rapid erosion of American democracy.
    That's exactly what it is. I posted it here before, but they believe they have God/good on their side. If God is on their side, then logically they must also believe Satan/evil is on the opposite one.

That's exactly what it is. I posted it here before, but they believe they have God/good on their side. If God is on their side, then logically they must also believe Satan/evil is on the opposite one.
    FZkOIMGWQAM1ktg.jpg

Minutes before the Tennessee House Republican supermajority voted to expel Rep. Justin Jones under the guise of violating decorum, the Democratic lawmaker shared some of his experiences with his soon-to-be-former colleagues, including what he suggested is thinly-veiled racism.

Jones criticized Republican Rep. Gino Bulso, saying: “While my colleague’s statement here was eloquent, what he was essentially saying was that Justin is an ‘uppity negro.'”

Mockingly describing GOP Rep. Bulso’s plea that lawmakers vote to expel him, the Democrat said: “‘How dare he point out the Speaker and call a lie a lie? How dare he act like he’s your equal? How dare he come before this body and not bow down?’ That’s what Representative Bulso was saying.”..........

I watched some of that live and that’s exactly what they were saying. They said the young men “acted up” and didn’t “show respect” and that they should “be happy they’re here”. The racism was palpable even to me. They obviously felt these men needed to be put in their place.

Rs have completely lost the plot. They’re a threat to everything this country is supposed to be.

Ah, look at the age of the only R rep who voted against expulsion for all three:

Is it me or does that look like a high school graduation picture?
    I think it’s a regular head shot. He definitely looks older than 18 there. Just not nearly as old as the racists who voted the two out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom