Tennessee legislature expels two black Democrats for gun-control demonstration on house floor (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    A third white female Democrat that joined in the demonstration was not expelled (saved by a single vote).

The Republicans argue that the demonstration for gun control to protest the Nashville school shooting was so out of order that it compels the members’ expulsion.

I started a thread because this development is now about something different, not the gun debate.

The expulsion proceedings threatened to strip more than 200,000 Tennesseans of their elected representation and mark just the fourth time since the end of the Civil War in which the House ousted sitting lawmakers. No House member has ever been removed from elected office for simply violating decorum rules.

Like many red states, Tennessee Republicans dominate the state house while carrying fewer than 50% of the state’s voters by party identification or registration. And yet they act like the state is completely theirs to do as they wish - run roughshod over the non-Republicans. This is happening in other states as well, Wisconsin being an easy example.

41061558-45FD-42A0-9BD1-F03A535AF1B8.png

4392E279-69EE-4191-AEBF-5FFADAE234E9.png

A third white female Democrat that joined in the demonstration was not expelled (saved by a single vote).

The Republicans argue that the demonstration for gun control to protest the Nashville school shooting was so out of order that it compels the members’ expulsion.

I started a thread because this development is now about something different, not the gun debate.

These people (GOP at large) are approaching their end game, hard core reaching for the brass ring, telling their base oh, we have the GOP version of Democracy (Fascism) which will include things like guns for all no questions asked, dress codes, border crossing check points for mandatory pregnancy checks and ejecting any one from representative positions who defy the majority. My understanding is that the last people who were removed from Representative positions were for breaking the law, not for speaking out and protesting a decision. :frack:

Just who the **** are these white guys?

These leaders have lost their minds, but remember one thing, they are in positions of power and are acting on behalf of the people who elected them. The majority better get their act together before Democracy in the USA is snuffed out. :oops:

Last edited:
    These people (GOP at large) are approaching their end game, hard core reaching for the brass ring, telling their base oh, we have the GOP version of Democracy (Fascism) which will include things like guns for all no questions asked, dress codes, border crossing check points for mandatory pregnancy checks and ejecting any one from representative positions who defy the majority. My understanding is last people who were removed from Representative positions were for breaking the law, not for speaking out and protesting a decision. :frack:

These leaders have lost their minds, but remember one thing, they are in positions of power and are acting on behalf of the people who elected them. The majority better get their act together before Democracy in the USA is snuffed out. :oops:

Seriously, they're blocking interstate travel? I thought this was America?

Seriously, they're blocking interstate travel? I thought this was America?
    So, they have made it illegal for minors without permission of a parent. Which completely forks those minors who have abusive and/or uncaring parents or who were impregnated by incest. And they worded it so that the crime rests inside the state, not in another state.

It actually accomplishes little, except for harming some of the most vulnerable - which seems to be completely on brand for these folks.

So, they have made it illegal for minors without permission of a parent. Which completely forks those minors who have abusive and/or uncaring parents or who were impregnated by incest. And they worded it so that the crime rests inside the state, not in another state.

It actually accomplishes little, except for harming some of the most vulnerable - which seems to be completely on brand for these folks.
    Seems like maybe they didn't write it in there specifically that the minor would be prosecuted for getting an abortion out of state but that an adult who aids them in getting an abortion out of state without parental consent would be punished:

House Bill 242, which passed through the state House and is likely to move quickly through the Senate, seeks to limit minors’ ability to travel for abortion care without parental consent. The legislation would create a whole new crime — dubbed “abortion trafficking” — which is defined in the bill as an “adult who, with the intent to conceal an abortion from the parents or guardian of a pregnant, unemancipated minor, either procures an abortion … or obtains an abortion-inducing drug” for the minor. “Recruiting, harboring, or transporting the pregnant minor within this state commits the crime of abortion trafficking,” the legislation adds.

Abortion trafficking would be a felony, and those found guilty would face two to five years in prison. The legislation also includes a statute allowing the Idaho attorney general to supersede any local prosecutor’s decision, preemptively thwarting any prosecutor who vows not to enforce such an extreme law.

Yes, I didn’t mean to say the minor would be prosecuted. I’m sure that will be written into the next bill though. Especially if this one flies.

Both he and Justin Pearson were masterful in their calling out of this sham process and the bigoted Republican lawmakers ousting them. Bright futures ahead; they will be difference-makers.
    I would like to thank the (R)acist Party in Tennessee for promoting these young legislators to the national stage.

When one of them wins the Presidency in 8-12 years we can look back and imagine what would have been if they would have been left in obscurity of the TN State House.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom