Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Brennan77

Reaction score
    Today’s be careful what you wish for article
    ==========================

The signs are disparate, inconclusive and perhaps not fully applicable to the 2022 midterm elections.

But virtually everything since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade back in June suggests Republicans have a political problem on their hands now that they’ve obtained their long-sought goal of being able to severely restrict and even ban abortion.

And if you look closely, you’ll see signs of potential buyer’s remorse creeping in.

To the extent Republicans rethink their extremely restrictive posture on abortion in the days ahead, a South Carolina state legislator might have provided a crystallizing moment last week.

At a hearing, state Rep. Neal Collins (R) recounted the arduous journey faced by a 19-year-old thanks to an abortion ban he himself supported.

Collins said the woman’s fetus was not viable, but that attorneys told her doctor they couldn’t extract it because it still had a heartbeat — the standard set in the bill supported by Collins that had gone into effect just the week before.

“They discharged that 19-year-old,” Collins said. “The doctor told me at that point there is a 50 percent chance — well, first she’s going to pass this fetus in the toilet. She’s going to have to deal with that on her own. There’s a 50 percent chance — greater than 50 percent chance that she’s going to lose her uterus. There’s a 10 percent chance that she will develop sepsis and herself, die.”

Collins added: “That weighs on me. I voted for that bill. These are affecting people.”……

Since the Supreme Court’s action, the evidence has

Since the Supreme Court’s action, the evidence has pointed almost exclusively in one direction: that Democrats have been buoyed by the abortion issue taking on new prominence.

• Voters in red Kansas overwhelmingly voted against a ballot measure that would have set aside abortion protections in the state constitution and allowed lawmakers to severely restrict or even ban the practice

• Democrats have overperformed in every special election held since the Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v. Jackson — after underperforming in special elections before then.

In just about every case, Democratic turnout appears to have been juiced. And in the most significant race so far — New York’s closely divided 19th District — the Democrat won after making the race a referendum on abortion, overperforming President Biden’s 2020 numbers in the district.

• The “generic ballot” — pitting an unnamed Republican against an unnamed Democrat — has shifted in Democrats’ favor enough that the average now favors Democrats slightly

• A new Pew Research Center poll this week showed abortion rocketing up as a “very important” priority for Democratic voters — from 46 percent in March to 71 percent today — while just 4 in 10 Republicans called it a key issue.

• Both Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel are sounding alarm bells about the GOP’s ability to flip Congress, with McDaniel specifically citing Democrats’ fundraising momentum post-Dobbs.

The conservative Wall Street Journal’s editorial board summarized it in a piece after the New York special election, titled “The GOP’s Abortion Problem.”…….

Stephanie Mitchell’s life’s work was at stake when she spoke last week at a meeting convened by Alabama’s Department of Public Health in Montgomery.

In 2019, Mitchell, who is Black, became Alabama’s first professional midwife in a half-century.

A former labor and delivery nurse from Boston, Mitchell wants to open Birth Sanctuary Gainesville, a free-standing birthing center for those who don’t want to have their child in a hospital.

But her plans are now at risk because the state health board is considering reintroducing 1980s-era rules that critics say are overly burdensome and medically ill-informed — and would effectively prevent certified professional midwives from delivering babies in centers such as hers.

In this hard political moment, we need to pay close attention to all the ways our freedoms are being attacked.

The assault on abortion rights was always going to be just the start of a bigger fight to control women’s bodies.

As red-state legislatures move against abortion, and possibly even contraception, advocates fear that women’s birthing choices will be the next target.

And that’s why, unfortunately, it didn’t surprise me to see birthing centers and birth-care workers such as Mitchell, especially those who cater to women of color, get pulled into an all-out fight in Alabama.

It’s a fight worth having.

Because if Alabama adopts rules that effectively close off women’s options outside of hospitals, women could be at higher risk for maternal mortality — especially Black women and those in rural areas who live far from large health-care facilities……..

The signs are disparate, inconclusive and perhaps not fully applicable to the 2022 midterm elections.

But virtually everything since the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade back in June suggests Republicans have a political problem on their hands now that they’ve obtained their long-sought goal of being able to severely restrict and even ban abortion.

And if you look closely, you’ll see signs of potential buyer’s remorse creeping in.

To the extent Republicans rethink their extremely restrictive posture on abortion in the days ahead, a South Carolina state legislator might have provided a crystallizing moment last week.

At a hearing, state Rep. Neal Collins (R) recounted the arduous journey faced by a 19-year-old thanks to an abortion ban he himself supported.

Collins said the woman’s fetus was not viable, but that attorneys told her doctor they couldn’t extract it because it still had a heartbeat — the standard set in the bill supported by Collins that had gone into effect just the week before.

“They discharged that 19-year-old,” Collins said. “The doctor told me at that point there is a 50 percent chance — well, first she’s going to pass this fetus in the toilet. She’s going to have to deal with that on her own. There’s a 50 percent chance — greater than 50 percent chance that she’s going to lose her uterus. There’s a 10 percent chance that she will develop sepsis and herself, die.”

Collins added: “That weighs on me. I voted for that bill. These are affecting people.”……

Since the Supreme Court’s action, the evidence has pointed almost exclusively in one direction: that Democrats have been buoyed by the abortion issue taking on new prominence.

• Voters in red Kansas overwhelmingly voted against a ballot measure that would have set aside abortion protections in the state constitution and allowed lawmakers to severely restrict or even ban the practice

• Democrats have overperformed in every special election held since the Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v. Jackson — after underperforming in special elections before then.

In just about every case, Democratic turnout appears to have been juiced. And in the most significant race so far — New York’s closely divided 19th District — the Democrat won after making the race a referendum on abortion, overperforming President Biden’s 2020 numbers in the district.

• The “generic ballot” — pitting an unnamed Republican against an unnamed Democrat — has shifted in Democrats’ favor enough that the average now favors Democrats slightly

• A new Pew Research Center poll this week showed abortion rocketing up as a “very important” priority for Democratic voters — from 46 percent in March to 71 percent today — while just 4 in 10 Republicans called it a key issue.

• Both Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel are sounding alarm bells about the GOP’s ability to flip Congress, with McDaniel specifically citing Democrats’ fundraising momentum post-Dobbs.

The conservative Wall Street Journal’s editorial board summarized it in a piece after the New York special election, titled “The GOP’s Abortion Problem.”…….

This whole abortion ban is just terrible and I’m still pissed off. Hopefully, the only good thing would be that these 1930s good ole boys get voted out in November!

The cancer story is the one that haunts me. A woman gets diagnosed with breast cancer in the first trimester. She should have a choice, an informed choice made with her doctor, about whether to terminate the pregnancy and commence treatment immediately or take a chance on waiting. The state should have no say, zero, none. There’s no right or wrong answer here, it should be up to the woman. But now, with the way the exceptions are worded (if there even are any exceptions) that choice is no longer available. Which condemns some of these women to death, and the fetus won’t survive anyway.

The cruelty and complete disregard for women’s lives is just striking.

Honestly, her involvement in this cult should have been disqualifying for her to even be appointed to the bench at all. She is taught to be subservient to her husband in all matters. He certainly could be directing her how to rule on cases before the court.

And if it was under normal circumstances she probably would been

Even if there was just more time she may have been disqualified

But the GOP was under a time crunch to push this through

She checked some of the boxes they wanted so here we are

Last edited:
    I have really struggled with blaming RBG for this. She should have retired during Obama’s presidency. As great as she was, she failed us in that.

I have really struggled with blaming RBG for this. She should have retired during Obama’s presidency. As great as she was, she failed us in that.

even if she could have held on for another 2 or 3 weeks I believe it would have made a difference that there wouldn't have been enough time to even rush someone through

Honestly, her involvement in this cult should have been disqualifying for her to even be appointed to the bench at all. She is taught to be subservient to her husband in all matters. He certainly could be directing her how to rule on cases before the court.

As I like to call her: Walking Establishment Clause violation.

yeah, I was on this when she was nominated. That and being called a handmaid. And someone was on here saying "nothing to worry about, her religious beliefs won't affect her decisions" (paraphrased) and I was like "just watch".

I was angry about it too, for a long time. I don't know why, if it was vanity or hubris. I guess it doesn't really matter in hindsight. This is another reason I am in favor of term limits for judges, or cycled out, however anyone wants to phrase it. Have them retired at 75, even if they seem physically/mentally fit.

But the GOP was under a time crunch to push this through

Lindsey Graham "use my words against me"

"I want you to use my words against me. If there's a Republican president in 2016 and a vacancy occurs in the last year of the first term, you can say Lindsey Graham said, 'Let's let the next president, whoever it might be, make that nomination,' " he said in 2016 shortly after the death of Justice Antonin Scalia. "And you could use my words against me and you'd be absolutely right."

(and not enough people did, and he got re-elected)

Doctors are sharing what may be actual deaths on Twitter. If they’re not actual, they are certainly plausible scenarios. Once again, at the diagnosis of the health issue the woman deserves to make her own choice whether to risk it or play it safe and treat her health issue. The state has taken that choice away and is condemning these women to death when they could be saved. If a woman wants to risk it and carry to term that’s should be her right. Nobody has the right to force her to do so.

I would say this is true of most R male politicians, and some on the left. Some Rs are starting to get the picture. Jim Banks of Indiana is said to have scrubbed his re-election web page of his radical views on abortion. (don’t have proof, it was said on Twitter). Some state R legislators in my state are said to be doing the same. I don’t think that will work, women are not going to fall for that.

Can’t let them get away with this 180 moonwalk

Hope people don’t fall for this
    ============================

Do you want to know how frightened Republicans are by the sweeping turn abortion politics has taken since the Supreme Court overruled Roe v. Wade in late June?

Just look at what their candidates in swing states and districts are doing.

It amounts to a collective assertion that, well, maybe they didn’t really mean what they said.

A number of Republicans in tough races seem to have hit upon the same strategy to put them on the right side of public opinion.

Here are the new rules: First, stop saying you’re “100 percent pro-life.” That might be what Republican primary voters once wanted to hear, but now it’s radioactive.

Next, make the absurd and unsupportable claim that nothing has really changed when it comes to abortion. Instead, say that the realization of a decades-long Republican goal is less a legal revolution than an opportunity for some heartfelt, respectful conversation.

Then, stress your deep commitment to the welfare of all women. Stop talking about any particular pieces of legislation or constitutional amendments to ban abortion that you used to support.

And if you have to say anything at all about policies and particulars, talk about the exceptions to abortion bans you support — even if you didn’t used to support them.

Finally, say Democrats are the real extremists by pretending that they support babies being aborted literally during delivery, something that, by the way, never happens……

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom