/* */

Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

Ok, so my extremely woke daughter gives me hard time for using this term, but nothing else quite captures the self-inflicted, ongoing nature of what the GOP's done to itself with this issue. It's their tar baby. The more they mess with it, the worse it gets.
    Yeah, they FAFO'd this issue. How they didn't realize it would hurt them at the polls I have no clue.

Sorry Donald, it's too late now.

just another excuse for the govt to have a reason to get into citizens private lives without their consent. they'll use it as a tool for harassment.

and then

Hours after Arizona’s supreme court declared on Tuesday that a 160-year-old abortion ban is now enforceable, Republicans in the state took a surprising stance for a party that has historically championed abortion restrictions – they denounced the decision.

“This decision cannot stand,” said Matt Gress, a Republican state representative. “I categorically reject rolling back the clock to a time when slavery was still legal and we could lock up women and doctors because of an abortion.”

First passed when Arizona was still a territory, the ban only permits abortions to save a patient’s life and does not have exceptions for rape or incest.

“Today’s Arizona supreme court decision reinstating an Arizona territorial-era ban on all abortions from more than 150 years ago is disappointing to say the least,” said TJ Shope, a Republican state senator.

“I oppose today’s ruling,” added Kari Lake, a Republican running to represent Arizona in the US Senate and a loyalist of Donald Trump. Lake called on the state legislature to “come up with an immediate commonsense solution that Arizonans can support”.

Since the US supreme court overturned Roe v Wade, leading the GOP to stumble in the 2022 midterms and abortion rights supporters to win a string of ballot measures, including in purple and red states, Republicans have struggled to find a way to talk about abortion without turning off voters. But their response to the ruling on the 1864 ban may mark their fastest and strongest rebuke of abortion bans since Roe fell.

“This is an earthquake that has never been seen in Arizona politics,” said Barrett Marson, a Republican consultant in Arizona, of the decision. “This will shake the ground under every Republican candidate, even those in safe legislative or congressional seats.”

The 1864 ban is not currently in effect, and may not go into effect for weeks due to legal delays. Abortion is currently allowed in Arizona up until 15 weeks of pregnancy.

Some of the criticisms of the Tuesday ruling came from politicians who had previously supported the 1864 ban or cheered the end of Roe v Wade. Lake previously called the ban a “great law”, according to PolitiFact. David Schweikert, an Arizona congressman who is facing one of the most competitive House races in the country this November, said on Tuesday that he does not support the ruling and wants the state legislature to “address this issue immediately”, but in 2022 said the fall of Roe “pleased” him.

The speaker of the Arizona state house and the president of the state senate, who are both Republicans, also released a joint statement saying that they would be “listening to our constituents to determine the best course of action for the legislature”. In contrast, on the day Roe fell, the Republican-controlled state senate released a statement declaring that the 1864 ban was in effect immediately. That statement unleashed confusion and chaos among abortion providers in Arizona, prompting them to stop offering the procedure out of an abundance of caution.

“They are trying to play it both ways. They’re trying to have this illusion that they’re moderate to get votes, because they know that Arizonans do not want a total ban,” said Dr Gabrielle Goodrick, one of the providers who temporarily stopped performing abortions when Roe fell. “This is just ridiculous. Now they’re saying that they oppose it? Yeah, yeah – a little too late.”……..

I'd wager that they're not interested in the Howell Code so much for the abortion thing so much as that, if I'm reading it correctly, it sets the age of consent at ten years old.

Eight years ago, when North Carolina tried regulate how transgender people use public bathrooms, Corporate America revolted.

PayPal scrapped a planned expansion of one of its operations in the state. Musicians canceled performances. And the NCAA said it wouldn’t let North Carolina host championships while the law was on the books. All in, the boycott cost the state’s economy around $4 billion, according to an analysis by the Associated Press, which noted its tally was likely an underestimation.

Lately, though, Corporate America doesn’t have the same stomach for a culture war.

Last year, at least 510 anti-LGBTQ bills were introduced in US state legislatures — a new record, according to the American Civil Liberties Union, and nearly three times the number of such bills introduced in 2022. Nearly two dozen states have either banned or severely curtailed abortion rights since Roe v. Wade was overturned two years ago.

While corporate giants from a range of industries pledged to provide support and financial assistance for employees seeking abortion care, few are wading into that political conversation with the kind of fervor we’ve seen on other issues in the recent past.

There doesn’t appear to be a single, unified theory for why that’s the case. Perhaps businesses were willing to take more risks in a zero-interest-rate environment, when their stocks were riding high and customers were unfazed by inflation. Perhaps the payoff of past progressive campaigns proved too costly in a deeply polarized country — no brand wants to be the next Bud Light.

Another possibility: Customers and businesses simply have outrage fatigue, says Cait Lamberton, professor of marketing at the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Business.

“People can only stay enraged for so long,” Lamberton told me. “We are actually very good at adapting to psychological discomfort. Very quickly, our rationalization mechanisms kick in, and we are able to find a way to reframe the actions of a brand, or our own actions, in ways that don’t create massive internal conflict.”

I spoke to Lamberton about the changing winds of corporate activism and the dilemma leaders find themselves in.

The following interview has been edited for length and clarity.

Nightcap: There was a real trend, starting around 2016, of companies taking a political or moral stand on cultural fights. But in the past year or so, that seems to have gone out of vogue. What’s happening?.............

Honest question - what is wrong with Plan B? It’s not causing abortions, it’s merely preventing pregnancies. What the eff is wrong with these people?

Honest question - what is wrong with Plan B? It’s not causing abortions, it’s merely preventing pregnancies. What the eff is wrong with these people?

because like with everything else, they have to use fear.. they tell everyone its an abortion drug when 100% its not, but the weak minded believe what they are being told...

But why? Why do they care about a birth control pill? Unless they just hate women and don’t want them to control their own fertility. I have always thought it wasn’t about babies, it’s about hating that women can control their own lives. Why else would you want to increase the number of women who get pregnant after they are raped? I cannot think of any other reason to want women who have been raped to get pregnant.

But why? Why do they care about a birth control pill? Unless they just hate women and don’t want them to control their own fertility. I have always thought it wasn’t about babies, it’s about hating that women can control their own lives. Why else would you want to increase the number of women who get pregnant after they are raped? I cannot think of any other reason to want women who have been raped to get pregnant.
    Because it’s pre-abortion?

Not allowing nature to run its course, or the ever popular ‘God’s Will’

But you’re right it makes no sense

They should be all in favor of this, they’re not terminating a pregnancy they are preventing one

But no, because reasons

its simple. they want as much control as possible. its already miles of red tape if a woman wants to get her tubes tied, nearly impossible if she doesn't have kids, and if she isn't married but already had kids. Her body essentially belongs to a man she hasn't even met yet, but if i want to schedule a vasectomy, i can get it done without having to convice a doctor why i want it, a simple, i just do and its scheduled, no if ands or buts about it.
    And if anyone thinks its about anything about controling women they are pretty naive.

A round table on abortion rights, hosted by Florida’s Democratic Senate candidate Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, has only just begun, and already she finds herself comforting a woman in tears with a very personal story to tell.

The woman is from Colombia, and speaks softly in Spanish as she tells the intimate gathering of the Miami-Dade Hispanic Democratic Caucus about the distressing decision her daughter had to make to terminate a pregnancy after learning the fetus was not developing.

“In Colombia, which tends to be a very conservative country, she was glad supportive medical professionals were there for her daughter in the decision, and grateful she had access to good-quality healthcare for it,” said Mucarsel-Powell.

“It was traumatic and painful, but at least they could rely on that healthcare. I’m just seeing outrage, from men and women, that here, families are faced with having to live in a state where you will not be able to get that care, because most women don’t even know they’re pregnant at six weeks.”

She was referring to the ruling by Florida’s supreme court earlier this month that will allow a six-week abortion ban, with few exceptions for rape or incest, to take effect on 1 May. It will end the state’s position as a bulwark of access to the procedure in the south-eastern US.

Yet it has also acted as rocket fuel to the campaign of Mucarsel-Powell, an Ecuador-born former congresswoman and mother of two daughters. She seized on the issue to launch a statewide Freedom Tour championing the protection of abortion rights and exposing the “unapologetic and proud” support for the ban on the part of her opponent in November, the incumbent Republican senator Rick Scott……

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Back
    Top Bottom