Supreme Court has voted to overturn abortion rights per draft opinion (Update: Dobbs opinion official) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Not long ago Kari Lake proclaimed Arizona's abortion law was a great law and wanted it the law of the state.

Now that she has gotten her way, she is lobbying for it to be repealed.

As I have been saying since 2022, the overwhelming vast majority of women aren't going to vote for the man who proudly boasts that he got rid of Roe V. Wade. Nor are those women going to vote for a forced birther politician.

Turns out, republican belief in "pro life" was all just lies to get votes. Who is surprised? I sure am not.

How many forced birthers will do the same about face?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ka ... r-BB1ltx3I.

Arizona Republican Senate candidate Kari Lake is actively lobbying state lawmakers to overturn a 160-year-old law she once supported that bans abortion in almost all cases, a source with knowledge of her efforts told CNN.

When you do everything you can to rig an election and still lose, you have a problem. Voters in Ohio told the state’s Republican Party on Tuesday that it has a big problem, and they sent that message to the GOP nationwide.

The outcome is also a major challenge for opponents of abortion. They might come to see the Supreme Court’s decision overturning Roe v. Wade not as the victory they celebrated in 2022 but as the decisive moment when the politics of the issue turned against them.

The combination of hypocrisy and opportunism proved too much for most Ohioans, who defeated the GOP legislature’s referendum proposal that would have made it far more difficult for future electorates to change the state’s Constitution.

Even though the state voted for Donald Trump by eight points in 2020, a majority refused to accept the Republicans’ invitation to throw away its own power.

Issue 1, as the referendum was known, would have raised the margin required to amend the state’s constitution from a simple majority to 60 percent.

Despite the GOP’s claims to the contrary, the measure was clearly designed to head off a constitutional amendment to protect abortion rights on November’s ballot.

Polls show that abortion rights command majority support in Ohio, as they did in other red states such as Kansas and Kentucky. Reaching 60 percent, however, would have been difficult.

But if Issue 1’s defeat was a statement about abortion rights, it was also a harsh judgment against the anti-majoritarian politics that Republicans are practicing in many states they control.

Their methods include highly partisan gerrymanders, efforts to make it harder for some groups to cast ballots (particularly Black and younger voters), and state takeovers of election administration in Democratic cities……

And Trump has been strutting his stuff taking full credit for loading the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v Wade.
    After all the backlash and rebuke that has fallen (and will continue to fall) on the state and local republicans for making these anti abortion laws it seems that Trump has dodged most of it

The anger doesn't seem to fall on his shoulders for putting justices on SCOTUS who would turn over Roe, which is exactly what he said he would do, yet he's not getting the blame for making this happen

Curious why that is, especially if he is gloating about it (which I haven't seen or read but don't doubt at all)

Last edited:
    After all the backlash and rebuke that has fallen (and will continue to fall) on the state and local republicans for making these anti abortion laws it seems that Trump has dodged most of it

The anger doesn't seem to fall on his shoulders for putting justices on SCOTUS who would turn over Roe, which is exactly what he said he would do, yet he's not getting the blame for making this happen

Curious why that is, especially if he is gloating about it (which I haven't seen or read but don't doubt at all)
    I'm sure that will be a focus of the attention Democrats put on Trump when he becomes the nominee.

I think it’s because people realize he has no moral code at all. He doesn’t care about abortion because it doesn’t affect him. If he had to pick, he would probably allow it, as long as allowing it doesn’t affect his popularity with his base. There is no ideology, no belief system. So he isn’t seen as a real threat in this area, because he just doesn’t care. Whereas those religious zealots would allow women to die without batting an eye as long as their ideology is made the law of the land.

In defending themselves against a lawsuit, Texas officials have argued that an “unborn child” may not have rights under the US constitution, putting them in tension with arguments made by the state’s attorney’s general’s office as well as Republican lawmakers to support restrictions to abortion.

A guard at the state prison in the community of Abilene filed the lawsuit in question after she asserted that her superiors barred her from going to the hospital while she experienced intense labor pains and what she suspected were contractions while seven months pregnant and on duty.

The guard – who is named Salia Issa – was finally able to leave to go to the hospital two and a half hours after the pain started. She was rushed into emergency surgery after doctors were unable to find a fetal heartbeat, and she ultimately delivered the baby in a stillbirth. The lawsuit claims that if Issa had been able to get to the hospital sooner, the baby would have survived.

Issa and her husband sued the Texas department of criminal justice and three supervisors, arguing the state caused the death of their child. They seek restitution in medical and funeral costs and for pain and suffering.

The prison agency and the Texas attorney general’s office have argued in defense of the lawsuit that the agency should not be held responsible for the stillbirth and that it is not clear the fetus had rights as a person. Both entities advance those positions despite consistent arguments made in lockstep by the attorney general’s office and Texas legislators that “unborn children” should be recognized as people starting at fertilization...........

This nothing new to most of us. Republicans are awful
    "What we're looking at is that the reality is one of forced parenthood for many people without access to abortion," says Julia Strasser, assistant research professor of health policy and management at George Washington University's Milken Institute School of Public Health. "But then you don't have the support services you need to be able to see someone through a pregnancy and delivery."

There are two main types of risks to pregnancy in places without good access to pregnancy care services, Strasser says. The first is they might have to deliver in an emergency department where that care isn't a core part of services. Second, they may not be able to get enough prenatal and postpartum care, which increases the risk for things like preterm birth, when a baby is born before 37 weeks of pregnancy have been completed, and maternal mortality.

Because of this, people living in maternity care deserts without access to abortion may have to continue a dangerous pregnancy or one they don't want, and may also struggle to find the care they need during that pregnancy and delivery.

A man who set a fire at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Illinois was sentenced on Tuesday to 10 years in federal prison.

Tyler Massengill has admitted using a homemade explosive to set a fire at the Peoria clinic in January, a few days after the Democratic governor, JB Pritzker, signed a law with additional legal protections for abortion procedures. No one was inside the clinic when the fire happened.

“I feel for the people who have lost their jobs. I’m not trying to play like I am victim at this. I was sincerely hurt,” Massengill, 32, said in court, apparently a reference to his belief that a former girlfriend had an abortion a few years ago.

Prosecutors, however, said the woman told the FBI that wasn’t true.

US district judge James Shadid said people who typically visit the clinic for a variety of services have had to look elsewhere because of extensive damage to the building, WMBD-TV reported.

“And to add to your accomplishments, there’s the striking of fear, stress and inconvenience to thousands of patients and employees from the many other Planned Parenthood facilities who wonder if they are next on the list of misguided people like you,” the judge said.

Shadid went slightly above the sentencing guidelines but below the possible maximum prison term of 20 years............

A man who set a fire at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Illinois was sentenced on Tuesday to 10 years in federal prison.

Tyler Massengill has admitted using a homemade explosive to set a fire at the Peoria clinic in January, a few days after the Democratic governor, JB Pritzker, signed a law with additional legal protections for abortion procedures. No one was inside the clinic when the fire happened.

“I feel for the people who have lost their jobs. I’m not trying to play like I am victim at this. I was sincerely hurt,” Massengill, 32, said in court, apparently a reference to his belief that a former girlfriend had an abortion a few years ago.

Prosecutors, however, said the woman told the FBI that wasn’t true.

US district judge James Shadid said people who typically visit the clinic for a variety of services have had to look elsewhere because of extensive damage to the building, WMBD-TV reported.

“And to add to your accomplishments, there’s the striking of fear, stress and inconvenience to thousands of patients and employees from the many other Planned Parenthood facilities who wonder if they are next on the list of misguided people like you,” the judge said.

Shadid went slightly above the sentencing guidelines but below the possible maximum prison term of 20 years............

If it was Texas he'd might've received a key to the city.

There was a truly unhinged opinion written yesterday by Judge Ho. It was in favor of outlawing mifepristone-it has no real life consequences because the Supreme Court will take up the case, and there is a stay. It just shows all of us exactly how much disdain these people have for women’s lives.

There was a truly unhinged opinion written yesterday by Judge Ho. It was in favor of outlawing mifepristone-it has no real life consequences because the Supreme Court will take up the case, and there is a stay. It just shows all of us exactly how much disdain these people have for women’s lives.

From the Supreme Court all the way down, conservative right wing judges have made a mockery of the entire concept of Standing just to mandate their right wing beliefs and opinions via judicial fiat. The same people that used to go on insistently about activist judges imposing their preferred social policies via judicial fiat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom