Supreme Court Corruption (Formerly Clarence Thomas and the Billionaire) (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

cuddlemonkey

Well-known monkey
    Reaction score
    It seems that a billionaire GOP donor has spent a small fortune on vacations for Ginni and Clarence Thomas.

"She went on to say that after stating her need for a Sacred Heart of Jesus flag, her husband responded: “Oh, please, don’t put up a flag.”"

This seems to support Justice Alito's claim that the flags were his wife's doing and most likely not supported by him.
    I personally don’t think it matters. She, as the wife of a sitting Supreme Court Justice, needs to help him maintain his appearance of non-partiality. It’s his home as well, and he cannot have partisan flags or political signs up at his home.

I personally don’t think it matters. She, as the wife of a sitting Supreme Court Justice, needs to help him maintain his appearance of non-partiality. It’s his home as well, and he cannot have partisan flags or political signs up at his home.
    I mean, I'd like to agree, but sometimes our family members do sheet that make the rest of our lives difficult (Hunter certainly fit that bill for a while), so I think you can easily get on a slippery slope here.

Easier said than done because our sposes are independent people. I'm not sure if I'm a SCOTUS justice if I'm having "the talk" with her about how to behave as my spouse. Idk.

I do think that sposes need to be part of the vetting process if we're gonna judge them.

I don't know what the right answer is though. I don't care at all for the behavior of the spouses of both Justice Thomas and Alito, but there has to be defined boundaries and SCOTUS has to hold themselves accountable for their individual behavior.

I mean, I'd like to agree, but sometimes our family members do sheet that make the rest of our lives difficult (Hunter certainly fit that bill for a while), so I think you can easily get on a slippery slope here.

Easier said than done because our sposes are independent people. I'm not sure if I'm a SCOTUS justice if I'm having "the talk" with her about how to behave as my spouse. Idk.

I do think that sposes need to be part of the vetting process if we're gonna judge them.

I don't know what the right answer is though. I don't care at all for the behavior of the spouses of both Justice Thomas and Alito, but there has to be defined boundaries and SCOTUS has to hold themselves accountable for their individual behavior.
    Someone on here quoted an ethics regulation - and it applies to spouses as well. I will see if I can locate it.

Found it:

Well..the law on recusal requires a judge to recuse themselves if:

(4)
    He knows that he…or HIS SPOUSE…has…any other interest that could be substantially affected by the outcome of the proceeding;

(5)He or his spouse, or a person within the third degree of relationship to either of them, or the spouse of such a person:
    (iii)
    Is known by the judge to have an interest that could be substantially affected by the outcome of the proceeding;
    So the rules do, specifically, apply to spouses.

I realize that for spouses. But that doesn't negate the slippery slope argument.
    How is it a slippery slope if a justice refuses to recuse in a case where he should clearly recuse? That’s an ethics violation, plain and simple. One of Alito’s former clerks is even calling on him to recuse. If he won’t recuse for this, it’s safe to assume he will never recuse himself.

How is it a slippery slope if a justice refuses to recuse in a case where he should clearly recuse? That’s an ethics violation, plain and simple. One of Alito’s former clerks is even calling on him to recuse. If he won’t recuse for this, it’s safe to assume he will never recuse himself.
    I agree with you that he should recuse himself, but I think we all know he's not going to if he hasn't by now.

I agree with you that he should recuse himself, but I think we all know he's not going to if he hasn't by now.
    Yeah, ain’t gonna happen. The entire SCOTUS needs to be investigated. I include the liberals not because they have done anything wrong but because it would be the correct thing to do.

CNN) — Justice Clarence Thomas took several more trips on the private plane of GOP megadonor Harlan Crow than were previously known, a top Senate Democrat revealed Thursday.

According to information obtained by Senate Judiciary Chairman Dick Durbin, Thomas traveled on Crow’s private jet during trips in 2017, 2019 and 2021 between various US states, as well as on a previously known 2019 trip to Indonesia, during which Thomas also stayed on Crow’s mega-yacht.

The newly revealed private plane trips add to the picture of luxury travel enjoyed by Thomas and bankrolled by friends of the justice who have ties to conservative politics……

Guess what? After him supposedly disclosing everything, Thomas still had 3 MORE trips that he didn’t disclose. This cannot be an error at this point, it has to be intentional. He needs to go, or the SCOTUS is a complete joke.

My point was that it appears he wasn't lying when he claimed that his wife was the main actor concerning the flags. I'm not debating whether or not he should recuse himself from certain cases,

My point was that it appears he wasn't lying when he claimed that his wife was the main actor concerning the flags. I'm not debating whether or not he should recuse himself from certain cases,
    Yeah, at least that part is credible enough. I mean, my wife and I don't agree about Trump, and we like a lot of different things. I totally can see Alito not being interested in flags and whatever else. There are other things that bother me more about Alito and Thomas.

Yeah, at least that part is credible enough. I mean, my wife and I don't agree about Trump, and we like a lot of different things. I totally can see Alito not being interested in flags and whatever else. There are other things that bother me more about Alito and Thomas.
    Off subject, but I don’t think I could be married to a Trumper, I think that would be an irreconcilable difference.

Off subject, but I don’t think I could be married to a Trumper, I think that would be an irreconcilable difference.
    She's not really a Trumper in the typical sense. She likes him for some weird reason, but she's pretty normal (whatever that means, lol) otherwise. I think it's more because I think she likes the idea of an authoritarian. But I also think her church friends who are legit, batsheet nuts Trumpers who influence my wife because they've been friends for 25 years. We get along fine. She knows I can't stand Trump, and we can discuss it. The thing is, she's not really gung ho over him and she doesn't like some of the stuff he does, but chooses to think he's just flawed like everyone else. I respect her enough to let her draw her own conclusions. We get along fine.

Now her church friends, I merely tolerate them, heh. I avoid politics with them if at all possible. If they start blabbing Trump stuff, I just nod my head and I'm like "whatever", lol.

S\

Now her church friends, I merely tolerate them, heh. I avoid politics with them if at all possible. If they start blabbing Trump stuff, I just nod my head and I'm like "whatever", lol.
    show them the video of trump leading the mega church in a chant of bullshirt with kids joining in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom