Suggestion thread (plus a heads up and a question for you all). (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

Andrus

Admin
    Staff member
    Reaction score
    Seems we've gotten this thing pretty stable, the addons are all in place and all of the server tweaks are in, so we plan to officially launch this site next Tuesday, November 12th (EDIT to Wednesday, November 13th). In the meantime, I am open to any suggestions that you might have regarding features. If the suggestions make sense, are do-able and not overly complex I can see what I can do.

StudioSaint suggested on the other site that we add a board for those that decline to declare affiliation (conservative/moderate/liberal) and I would like to hear your thoughts on that. If you like the idea... any suggestions on what we should name that board?

My initial reaction to his suggestion was that the MCB should cover that, but then I remembered that not everyone will be suited for this MCB board due to the rather strict behavioral rules on this board... and the Mud Pit will obviously not be moderated enough. I thought that most of those that declined to commit as either conservatives or liberals would declare as moderates, but that doesn't seem to be the case, so I am open to the idea.

-Andrus

Last edited:
    I can create a dark theme if enough of you want one. It might not be ready by launch time. Not sure how I would incorporate Red, White & Blue into a dark theme, however. Right off hand I am thinking a dark blue background with red bordering, buttons, etc. with grayish hovers in leiu of white might work. What do you think?

I found this to be quite funny. I also understand that others won't. Such are the times that we live in.

If it's too much work to change the theme, I get it. I just default to dark on any social media site I use because it's easier for me to read through and type on. No rush, even if you're able to. But yea, I think a navy would be a fine background and the buttons/hovers also sound reasonable. I realize that can mean having to comb through code when you set the template, just a personal preference.

As for the gender comment, I actually chuckled. But there's no 'chuckle' emoticon, so I chuckled and moved on. Not that you ask me, but I think it was totally clear enough that no real harm was intended and was meant to be a tongue in cheek moment. And I can see the gray area here - and I think an open discussion around intent might help, with the understanding that even though someone might not intend harm or offense, they need to understand that there are people who legitimately might. I think it was V Chip who most insisted 'don't assume bad intent'

If it's too much work to change the theme, I get it. I just default to dark on any social media site I use because it's easier for me to read through and type on. No rush, even if you're able to. But yea, I think a navy would be a fine background and the buttons/hovers also sound reasonable. I realize that can mean having to comb through code when you set the template, just a personal preference.

As for the gender comment, I actually chuckled. But there's no 'chuckle' emoticon, so I chuckled and moved on. Not that you ask me, but I think it was totally clear enough that no real harm was intended and was meant to be a tongue in cheek moment. And I can see the gray area here - and I think an open discussion around intent might help, with the understanding that even though someone might not intend harm or offense, they need to understand that there are people who legitimately might. I think it was V Chip who most insisted 'don't assume bad intent'

I'll see about getting a chuckle emoticon added. ;)

Regarding adding the dark style, Not real complex, but there are a boat load of choices as to options when creating one. In the old days I could knock one out in a day or two easily and simply paste all the various UI coding into a few templates, but these days there are literally over 100 individual color, graphic, and font settings controlling every aspect of a style. So unless I can find an out of the box template that I can quickly style requiring few changes it can take some time. However, I do know that a lot of people prefer a dark style, so I intend to move forward on getting one done.

On the latter, I agree. The staff, consulting group, and I have had an awful lot of discussion regarding structure, format, policies and behavior, but not so much concerning the nuances of the latter, which really didn't hit me until we actually had some live discussions going on here. In the interest of transparency and trying to garner some consensus it would be a good idea IMO to discuss such out in the open with the members prior to launch. This isn't going to work without the support of all of you, so you should be allowed to have some input into the decision making regarding board rules.

I say that while at the same time noting that there are a few who railed against the whole idea of this site and format repeatedly yet chose to sign up here anyway. Thus far those few have followed protocol and decorum which I appreciate. Let me just state in advance that I do NOT wish to revisit aspects that are already etched in stone. It's taken a long time to develop this site and it is what it is.

Probably for the best, but it appears I only have the option of a thumbs up for a post. No emoji that I see.

LB, if you‘re on an IPad, just push down on the thumb and hold it down. You’ll get the full array.

(What have I done?) 🤣

Ayo... I've finished the Dark Mode style. Click on the little light bulb up on the right side of the header next to your username and mini icon until you see it.

Just one thing that I haven't figured out yet is how to adjust the Bold all caps text in the header blocks. It's a tad too in loud for me. I just need to find that setting.

Now I want to get to work on cleaning up that red style. It's bugging me.

I really would prefer a label with some element of shame and/or mockery for the moderate/independent section. Gotta get those wishy washy fence straddlers moving toward a permanent home.

I clicked through the different modes with the light bulb. Man, that red mode threw me into another dimension for a second. Whew! I'll stick with the light mode with the blue.

Just picked up a new Galaxy A50 and the site looks great on it. No malfunctions at this point.

Ayo... I've finished the Dark Mode style. Click on the little light bulb up on the right side of the header next to your username and mini icon until you see it.

Just one thing that I haven't figured out yet is how to adjust the Bold all caps text in the header blocks. It's a tad too in loud for me. I just need to find that setting.

thanks man! Looks incredible. I also like the blue vertical bars next to threads with unread posts. Didn’t notice that before. I didn’t see the bulb icon on mobile but was able to change it scrolling to the bottom of the page. It was easy enough. But if there was supposed to be a light bulb I didn’t see it up top like on stage. Just fyi

thanks man! Looks incredible. I also like the blue vertical bars next to threads with unread posts. Didn’t notice that before. I didn’t see the bulb icon on mobile but was able to change it scrolling to the bottom of the page. It was easy enough. But if there was supposed to be a light bulb I didn’t see it up top like on stage. Just fyi

actually it’s there in landscape mode but not in portrait. I just rotated it to see if it impacted the header and there it was

Glad you approve! :9: If you turn your phone to the side causing it to go into landscape mode the bulb will show at the top. There just isn't room for everything in vertical mode so some aspects drop.

Edit: Heh! You beat me to it.

I also like the blue vertical bars next to threads with unread posts. i

Yeah, it's a completely different style from the other two, which is why you don't see them on the others.

Dark Mode loses the "search" box for me:
    1573267904497.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom