Republicans (or former Rs) against Trump (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This is gaining momentum, pretty fast, it might be good to keep track of this movement.

This thread is from a thoughtful conservative that I follow on Twitter, and I generally enjoy seeing his takes:

Its a whole thread, so you will have to click on it to see the rest of his posts. I don’t know how to post the entire thread.

Of course, I don't think anyone familiar with Hogan would expect him to support Trump. He and the state of Maryland have been at loggerheads with the Administration over the last 3-4 years, and that's been amplified quite a bit during the pandemic.

The write in vote is goofy, but I get why he's doing it.

I get the "statement" but, for me, thats still putting party over country and i just cant rationalize that.

I really think some of these guys would garner more overall ( both sides incl independents ) support if they would simply tell their folks that they cant afford to allow Trump another 4 years. But i understand that ultimately, they dont want to go against party.

sigh...

I’m a little disappointed in Hogan. It is clearly party over country, I guess if he is serious about a presidential run he doesn’t want them to say he voted for a democrat? That’s weak to me....

I’m a little disappointed in Hogan. It is clearly party over country, I guess if he is serious about a presidential run he doesn’t want them to say he voted for a democrat? That’s weak to me....

That's probably most of it (concern about it being used against him in the future). He might also just truly disagree with Biden's policies and refuses to endorse them.

That's probably most of it (concern about it being used against him in the future). He might also just truly disagree with Biden's policies and refuses to endorse them.

And thats where a truthful explanation would come in. Saying exactly that with the pivot to keeping Congress R to "balance" power. So many avenues for him to help explain, but i guess historically, going against party is a death knell.

Yeah, I'd say it's more the latter than the former. From a purely political perspective, they're just too far apart for him to endorse. But it's one less vote for the incumbent, so that does count for something.

Man..

Edit: so he didn't actually go on the record as that tweet suggested

Former White House chief of staff, retired Marine Gen. John Kelly, has told friends that President Donald Trump "is the most flawed person" he's ever known.

"The depths of his dishonesty is just astounding to me. The dishonesty, the transactional nature of every relationship, though it's more pathetic than anything else. He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life," the retired Marine general has told friends, CNN has learned.

All of my Trumpy Friends: "Disgruntled Ex-Employee. :frack:"
    I was disgruntled about quitting a job, because I could no longer deal with the owner who had bipolar disorder, self-medicated with meth and always sabotaged everyone and everything. He acted exactly like Trump except for having a bit more of facade of being a pleasant person.

I guess my point is, tell your friends it can be both.

Except he votes for everything Trump wants. Sasse just talks the talk.
    Exactly. Sasse has been laying the ground work for his own presidential run for a decade or so. It's easy to come out strongly now when it looks all but inevitable that Trump will lose.

Last edited:
    Except he votes for everything Trump wants. Sasse just talks the talk.

Exactly. Sasse has been laying the ground work for his own presidential run for a decade or so. It's easy to come at strongly now when it looks all but inevitable that Trump will lose.

Yeah it’s my bad. I was attributing some stuff done and said by Jeff Flake to Ben Sasse.

I’m not sure voting with Trump is much of an issue. The reality is Trump does nothing on his own. Everything he does is just what has been spoon fed him by Republicans in the Senate. His policies and appointments are their policies and appointments.

In a way I think being able to be so critical of someone that is an empty vessel for your policy agenda is even more respect worthy. The easiest thing to do would be to continue the power grab and pretend Trump isn’t a racist, misogynistic, homophobic, religious bigot (to quote Lindsey Graham when he still had a pair). I respect the ones that say I agree with his policies, but he’s a wretched human being.

Exactly. Sasse has been laying the ground work for his own presidential run for a decade or so. It's easy to come out strongly now when it looks all but inevitable that Trump will lose.

If Trump loses and if/when the SDNY files charges and even more information comes out I expect more Republicans to follow Sasse’s lead and say how they always knew how awful Trump was, how terrible Trump was and it’s good America decided that someone like that should never be president

And it will be just as disingenuous and self serving as anything Trump has ever said

If we are lucky and can get Biden elected, I want to see our government go after Putin and his oligarchs money. We know where they park it, we know he is killing political rivals. Time to hit him where he is vulnerable.

If we are lucky and can get Biden elected, I want to see our government go after Putin and his oligarchs money. We know where they park it, we know he is killing political rivals. Time to hit him where he is vulnerable.
    I want to see us make nice with our allies again and have all of us go after him so it doesn't just look like we're going after him and the oligarchs just because Trump is in their pocket.

I had to Google Tom Nichols to find out who he is. In the process, I learned that it is documented that he was a never Trumper back in 2016.

I also saw that a W. spokesperson denied the NY Times assertion that W. has made such a statement. But, we all know that the Bushes have all hated Trump (except for maybe a nephew), since at least the primaries when Trump ended Jeb.

Romney - no surprise there, again there has been a longstanding feud.

Just not seeing the lightning speed movement that you wish was occurring.

I'm of the opinion of not caring whatsoever which Republicans defect on Trump. If it took this long for some of them to "come around", I certainly won't celebrate their change of heart because of public outlook.

The issues the GOP is dead set on, like chipping away incessantly on women's rights, destroying the environment as collateral for insatiable corporate appetite, militarizing police, continuing to fight for privatizing the economy and against healthcare for all people etc are some of the reasons this isn't just a Trump thing. It will continue long after he loses in November. Liberals should remember that. I don't advocate fighting dirty, but this idea that bipartisanship will get us to where we want to be is a joke imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom