Republicans (or former Rs) against Trump (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This is gaining momentum, pretty fast, it might be good to keep track of this movement.

This thread is from a thoughtful conservative that I follow on Twitter, and I generally enjoy seeing his takes:

Its a whole thread, so you will have to click on it to see the rest of his posts. I don’t know how to post the entire thread.

Yeah. It's starting to be a thing. I've already read that Romney and W have publicly said they won't be voting for Trump in November. Then there was Murkowski's statement the other day. I wonder who's next.

Last edited:
    This is gaining momentum, pretty fast, it might be good to keep track of this movement.

This thread is from a thoughtful conservative that I follow on Twitter, and I generally enjoy seeing his takes:

Its a whole thread, so you will have to click on it to see the rest of his posts. I don’t know how to post the entire thread.

The willingness of Rs to break from Trump seems to roughly correlate to how he’s polling, which lately has tracked downward. They’ve had plenty of opportunities to cut bait and start over, but time and again decided to keep rolling the dice because he was their best shot at keeping power for 4 more years. If his numbers stay where they are, or get worse, it will really complicate things for Rs running for crucial Senate seats, particularly as he continues to alienate conservatives who believe he’s a threat to the rule of law.

Nichols, the Lincoln Project, etc. appear to be some of the best messengers to convey to conservatives that Trump’s dangerous combination of corruption, incompetence, and sociopathy is a bigger problem than their current perception, that liberals are what’s wrong with the country. Each time someone like Mattis, Amash, and Powell jumps ship, it is easy to write it off and think none of it will make a difference in 2020, but I think it will be really hard for Trump to win if his center-right support continues to erode at this rate. If his poll numbers track back up and / or the economy trends up, those people might be more willing to ignore Trump’s ugliness, as many of them did for 4 years before finally speaking out.

I enjoyed the Nichols thread. I think it would be great for the country for a center or center-right party to emerge. I hope this trend continues.

I agree that the recent events have made it easier to split from Trump, at least for non-elected conservatives, but I prefer to think that polling isn’t the reason. I agree that a continued slump in his polls will have to occur before any significant numbers of the elected R’s will break with him. I am hopeful we are getting close to that happening.

The significant dissent with Trump from current and former military, though, I believe is a direct response to his authoritative desire to use the military to punish political unrest. Thank goodness for these generals who have called him out both publicly and presumably inside the Administration. He really wants to declare Martial Law and take over, IMO. He’s been pretty open about it from the beginning of his presidency.

Oh, and totally agree on the need for a center-right party. We need intelligent voices from both sides to curb abuses of which either side is capable. I haven’t really considered the “horseshoe” effect until this year, but it is in full evidence right now.

Color me skeptical that this is the start of something of real significance, but we'll see.

They want their judges and their policies, but if they imagine another 4 more years of Trump - with the additional "bonus" that he doesn't even have to worry about re-election in a second term - maybe they'll change their minds.

Gaining momentum? For the most part all of those guys have been against Trump all along.

I agree that the recent events have made it easier to split from Trump, at least for non-elected conservatives, but I prefer to think that polling isn’t the reason. I agree that a continued slump in his polls will have to occur before any significant numbers of the elected R’s will break with him. I am hopeful we are getting close to that happening.

The significant dissent with Trump from current and former military, though, I believe is a direct response to his authoritative desire to use the military to punish political unrest. Thank goodness for these generals who have called him out both publicly and presumably inside the Administration. He really wants to declare Martial Law and take over, IMO. He’s been pretty open about it from the beginning of his presidency.

Oh, and totally agree on the need for a center-right party. We need intelligent voices from both sides to curb abuses of which either side is capable. I haven’t really considered the “horseshoe” effect until this year, but it is in full evidence right now.
    I agree with all of this. My polling theory failed to draw the distinction you did about the recent military defections, which appear to be responsive to his specific behavior involving the military as opposed to the polling. I am reminded of Mattis’ resignation letter which appeared to be in response to his Syria decision and how the power void would benefit Russia. I don’t think the polls made a difference to him then, or now, and I am glad you drew the distinction, because it is more accurate and fair to people like that.

Color me skeptical that this is the start of something of real significance, but we'll see.

They want their judges and their policies, but if they imagine another 4 more years of Trump - with the additional "bonus" that he doesn't even have to worry about re-election in a second term - maybe they'll change their minds.

Evan McMullin:

And a tweet making a good point that not everyone coming out against Trump always felt that way:

What game? I thought better of myself for responding with snark to your snark and deleted the post.

I had to Google Tom Nichols to find out who he is. In the process, I learned that it is documented that he was a never Trumper back in 2016.

I also saw that a W. spokesperson denied the NY Times assertion that W. has made such a statement. But, we all know that the Bushes have all hated Trump (except for maybe a nephew), since at least the primaries when Trump ended Jeb.

Romney - no surprise there, again there has been a longstanding feud.

Just not seeing the lightning speed movement that you wish was occurring.

I know this will seem snarky but it isn't esp since it's hard at times to translate things on the web, but are any of these people supporting Trumps opponent really THAT surprising?

C. Powell as has been pointed out has been backing the Democrat candidate since W left. I honestly thought that was common knowledge.

Romney. Seriously that should be no where close to be shocking.

W. Same as above. Though I did read where his staff said it wasn't true. But let's be honest it's true.

McMullin. Well he did run against Trump last time. I know since I voted for him.

The Alaskan lady. Well they hate each other.

Now if Turtle, Lindsey, Marco, Cruz etc if they come out against him then yea that's big news.

Also I really wish at times Powell would run for POTUS.

Care to comment on the generals? Specifically Mattis is very recent. What about Murkowski?

I think the feud with Mitt only goes back to the impeachment vote. Before that, Trump was tweeting in praise of Mitt. I feel sure I could find a tweet in support Romney.

I think most Rs who hold elected office feel exactly the same about Trump, but they are afraid to cross him during their terms in office.

Care to comment on the generals? Specifically Mattis is very recent. What about Murkowski?

I think the feud with Mitt only goes back to the impeachment vote. Before that, Trump was tweeting in praise of Mitt. I feel sure I could find a tweet in support Romney.

I think most Rs who hold elected office feel exactly the same about Trump, but they are afraid to cross him during their terms in office.

I'm assuming this was meant for me and I apologize if it wasn't. I've been out of the loop of sorts the past few days so I really don't know what Mattis said. But I will say this, I have been vocal of my support of Mattis since the SR PDB. There was a video of a Cabinet meeting every member said something along the lines of "my honor to serve you Mr POTUS" and sucking up except for one person. That person was Mattis who simply said "It is my please to serve the people of the United States and the men and women of the Military"

Murkowski I explained above. There has never been any love between them.

Mitt and Trump go back to the 2016 primaries with their hate. I mean Mitt held a press conference saying not to vote for Trump.

Most R's are only supporting him to get what they want meaning legislature, Judges (Like Turtle) and the like. It also wouldn't shock me one bit if it's like that with a lot of POTUS's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom