Republicans (or former Rs) against Trump (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    This is gaining momentum, pretty fast, it might be good to keep track of this movement.

This thread is from a thoughtful conservative that I follow on Twitter, and I generally enjoy seeing his takes:

Its a whole thread, so you will have to click on it to see the rest of his posts. I don’t know how to post the entire thread.

It was directed more at BF, i think you posted while I was writing.

Here is Mattis’ statement:

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.”

It seems that the use of MPs to clear the churchyard of peaceful protestors was what brought this on. I have a lot of respect for Mattis. He also is in a position to know about Trump’s lack of leadership.

Here’s a snippet from The Hill:

“A few hours after Murkowski delivered praised for Mattis’s rebuke, Sen. Chuck Grassley(R-Iowa) announced he would put a hold on two of the president’s nominees.

Grassley said he would hold up Trump’s picks to head the National Counterterrorism Center and serve as undersecretary for arms control and international security until he got a better explanation from the White House as to why the president fired two inspectors general, Steve Linick and Michael Atkinson, the watchdogs of the State Department and intelligence community, respectively.”

A little push back from Grassley.

There was also a letter from Gen. Milley to the troops that I saw. It was indirect criticism, but it was critical of policies that Trump has been pushing. I don’t have that one handy, but I’m sure it could be found.

It was directed more at BF, i think you posted while I was writing.

Here is Mattis’ statement:

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people — does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.”

It seems that the use of MPs to clear the churchyard of peaceful protestors was what brought this on. I have a lot of respect for Mattis. He also is in a position to know about Trump’s lack of leadership.

It's not a big deal in the context of this thread, which is about a movement within the GOP to abandon Trump. I don't even know if Mattis is a Republican. Military officers are encouraged not to be publicly political. Growing up in the home of an Army officer, we never once had a political sign in the yard or a bumper sticker on the car.

Furthermore, I take the word of disgruntled former employees with a grain of salt. Who knows, maybe he wanted further entanglement in foreign wars that Trump opposed?

In any event, I don't see the movement suggested.

If there was such a movement, then why rely so heavily on people who have been known to be never Trumpers for years?

It's not a big deal in the context of this thread, which is about a movement within the GOP to abandon Trump. I don't even know if Mattis is a Republican. Military officers are encouraged not to be publicly political. Growing up in the home of an Army officer, we never once had a political sign in the yard or a bumper sticker on the car.

Furthermore, I take the word of disgruntled former employees with a grain of salt. Who knows, maybe he wanted further entanglement in foreign wars that Trump opposed?

If there was such a movement, then why rely so heavily on people who have been known to be never Trumpers for years?

I would say Mattis is his own man and he doesn't care what any one thinks. But I have been wrong a lot.

Let me be clear I am not saying you did this. But I am old enough to remember when the left called Romney a racist, misogynist and every other name in the book UNTIL he said he didn't like Trump.

yes, I have seen the recent discussions by his defenders. And no, I didn’t do that. Believe it or not, I wasn’t very involved in politics before Trump, and tended to vote independent of any party allegiance. The very fact that this horrible person, unqualified for the office in every way, could even be nominated sort of woke me up, so to speak, lol. I have now voted a straight D ticket once, for the first time in my life, in 2018. That will continue until the Rs wake up and take their party back from Trumpists. There’s no earthly reason to support that man, we can all see he isn’t up to the task.

The horseshoe effect is in play. It isn’t something I had ever thought about until recently. The extremes (the ends of a horseshoe) are closer to each other than the rest of us who are more in the middle. I kind of like that imagery.

Oh, and the march that Romney is participating in is one that was organized and consists of Evangelicals. Just mull that over. The times are changing, I’m beginning to believe it.

Oh, and the march that Romney is participating in is one that was organized and consists of Evangelicals. Just mull that over. The times are changing, I’m beginning to believe it.

"I'm happy to finally meet some of those black people I have heard so much about throughout the years."

- Mitt Romney

Not an actual quote, I am sure he has met with AA's before, probably in an effort to prove that he is not a racist as was alleged.

Thanks for illustrating the horseshoe effect, that was perfect! 😆

Here are the military leaders who have criticized Trump:

Mattis didn't want any troops removed from Afghanistan or Syria. He took the job knowing Trump's views on bringing troops home and then resigned when he didn't get his way.

Thanks for illustrating the horseshoe effect, that was perfect! 😆

Here are the military leaders who have criticized Trump:

I think CNN's Hayden is yet another poor choice - if you are even still trying to prove that there is a sudden movement within the GOP away from Trump. I don't know that he is even a Republican.

But, if you have moved on and are now just throwing out retired military officers to prove...something, I don't know what it is. Hayden is far from a stoic military officer who just can't bite his tounge any longer.

Once again, you have recycled someone who has criticized Trump since at least the beginning of 2017. He infamously once posted the image below, which quite frankly looks like something AOC might have forwarded to him:

4D525E0800000578-5852951-image-a-32_1529213223378.jpg

Finally, Hayden was the director of the CIA and the NSA and we all know his friends in the IC, out of a desire for self preservation, are highly motivated to see an end to the Trump administration.

Mattis didn't want any troops removed from Afghanistan or Syria. He took the job knowing Trump's views on bringing troops home and then resigned when he didn't get his way.

No not entirely correct.

He did after Trump sold our buddies the curds down the river to Turkey.

Gave them intelligence on all their location and everything he had.

So yes he resigned after he got the curds slaughtered.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom