QAnon (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dragon

Staff member
    Reaction score
    This organisation and its reach is seriously scary. When the head of the New York Police Department's second-largest police union openly shows his support of this "organisation" then something is seriously wrong!

The head of the New York Police Department's second-largest police union gave a television interview Friday afternoon while sitting in front of a mug emblazoned with QAnon imagery and slogans.

The mug behind Mullins featured the word "QANON" and the hashtag #WWG1WGA, which stands for "where we go one, we go all," a popular slogan among QAnon supporters. At the center of the mug was a large letter Q, which refers to a supposed government insider who, according to QAnon supporters, posts cryptic clues on the Internet about the "deep state."

More than a year ago, the FBI reportedly assessed that QAnon was a dangerous movement that was likely to inspire its most extreme members to commit violent acts of domestic terrorism.

In recent weeks, QAnon supporters have been posting videos of themselves reciting an oath and repeating the "where we go one, we go all" catchphrase that is seen on the mug. They say they are preparing "digital soldiers" for an apocalyptic reckoning, when thousands of "deep state" pedophiles will be arrested and prosecuted at military courts at Guantanamo Bay.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/07/17/us/head-nypd-union-qanon-mug/index.html

I think a thread is warranted. It's actually an interesting and worth wild discussion because I think these groups (BLM, Antifa, Proud Boys, etc.) are here to stay and are different from something like QAnon, which is just a conspiracy cult.

An HONEST discussion of grass roots political groups and movements could be interesting.

I think a thread is warranted. It's actually an interesting and worth wild discussion because I think these groups (BLM, Antifa, Proud Boys, etc.) are here to stay and are different from something like QAnon, which is just a conspiracy cult.

An HONEST discussion of grass roots political groups and movements could be interesting.

So more of a thread about “extremist” groups in America and how they have become more visible in this cycle?

So more of a thread about “extremist” groups in America and how they have become more visible in this cycle?

I don't know that I like calling them all extremists. I prefer calling them grassroots political organizations or something like that. Extremist just has a negative connotation.

al-Qaeda was a grassroots political organization, and so was Obama’s 2008 campaign.

While technically true on both counts, it’s not an accurate representation of either.

It would be at the time they started though, which is where we are with these organizations. Obama's campaign evolved in a positive way, and AQ evolved in a negative way.

Grassroots may not be the best term though, I'll admit. I don't think extremist is either.

al-Qaeda was a grassroots political organization, and so was Obama’s 2008 campaign.

While technically true on both counts, it’s not an accurate representation of either.

Sure, I think the legitimacy of the groups and what they actually espouse is part of the discussion. Some may be benign, while others not so much. I mean we got the non-violent Fred Phelps anti-everything crazies, then you've radical violent groups who like chaos. They're not all the same and getting out arms around what they all are and represent can help us further some of the broader discussions of race, social justice, policing and everything else.

I honestly feel like I don't fully understand what these groups actually are, why they exist and what their goals are. I don't think they're going away.

Just an example. When I first heard of BLM, I assumed they were some sort of Black Panthers type of movement and thought it would be a flash in the pan. What I've learned over the last several months has shown that they are not that and there's a definite legitimacy to them. But I find myself wondering if they are considered a mainstream movement and if so, what do average everyday black Americans think of the movement. It's sort of the question of why it started, what is it now and where is it headed.

I support racial justice and equality and I support civil rights. Does or should BLM be the go to for being the leaders of the current civil rights and social justice causes? Should I trust them? Why? Why not? Stuff like that. And those same questions can be asked for any movement.

Just an example. When I first heard of BLM, I assumed they were some sort of Black Panthers type of movement and thought it would be a flash in the pan. What I've learned over the last several months has shown that they are not that and there's a definite legitimacy to them. But I find myself wondering if they are considered a mainstream movement and if so, what do average everyday black Americans think of the movement. It's sort of the question of why it started, what is it now and where is it headed.

I support racial justice and equality and I support civil rights. Does or should BLM be the go to for being the leaders of the current civil rights and social justice causes? Should I trust them? Why? Why not? Stuff like that. And those same questions can be asked for any movement.
    i think there might be some gaps in your understanding of the Panthers - after years of cointelpro infiltration, the FBI was able to undermine and bastageize the Panthers, at the beginning (and left to their own devices) the were a great force for community good - education, food pantries, protection, pride -
    now, unsurprising for the time, they struggled with issues - mostly misogyny - they should not be dismissed especially from misunderstanding

i think there might be some gaps in your understanding of the Panthers - after years of cointelpro infiltration, the FBI was able to undermine and bastageize the Panthers, at the beginning (and left to their own devices) the were a great force for community good - education, food pantries, protection, pride -
    now, unsurprising for the time, they struggled with issues - mostly misogyny - they should not be dismissed especially from misunderstanding

Oh, I fully admit there are gaps. I've never studied them or learned a whole lot about them. Just a very limited view based on how they're presented in the media, like intimidating, violent people who raise their fists on Olympic podiums. I know they're not that, but still, that's how I used to see them.

I had long assumed they were some left behind militant group because you don't hear much about them anymore. That part of why I'm asking some of these questions here. I've got an open mind and want to learn more.

Maybe it's time to start that thread, heh. Feels dirty every time I click QAnon. Lol.

Ben Collins has carved out a beat for himself covering conspiracy theories and he’s good at it. Here is a piece he wrote about how more attention needs to be paid to these theories by mainstream media, explaining how and why it happens that normal people get sucked into this stuff. It is totally worth the read. I could use some help talking to people in my own life who have tendencies to believe stuff like this.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom