QAnon (2 Viewers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Dragon

Staff member
    Reaction score
    This organisation and its reach is seriously scary. When the head of the New York Police Department's second-largest police union openly shows his support of this "organisation" then something is seriously wrong!

The head of the New York Police Department's second-largest police union gave a television interview Friday afternoon while sitting in front of a mug emblazoned with QAnon imagery and slogans.

The mug behind Mullins featured the word "QANON" and the hashtag #WWG1WGA, which stands for "where we go one, we go all," a popular slogan among QAnon supporters. At the center of the mug was a large letter Q, which refers to a supposed government insider who, according to QAnon supporters, posts cryptic clues on the Internet about the "deep state."

More than a year ago, the FBI reportedly assessed that QAnon was a dangerous movement that was likely to inspire its most extreme members to commit violent acts of domestic terrorism.

In recent weeks, QAnon supporters have been posting videos of themselves reciting an oath and repeating the "where we go one, we go all" catchphrase that is seen on the mug. They say they are preparing "digital soldiers" for an apocalyptic reckoning, when thousands of "deep state" pedophiles will be arrested and prosecuted at military courts at Guantanamo Bay.

https://us.cnn.com/2020/07/17/us/head-nypd-union-qanon-mug/index.html

QAnon faith is really starting to dwindle. I know the response, "duh!" seems obvious. But as much as they believed, it is kind of important. Major figures in the movement are starting to question it - there was one post by one of its most popular accounts who actually posed the question 'what if there is no Q plan?' and it sent some ripples and near-shockwaves.

My concern isn't the following falling apart, because it will though some form will remain and latch on to something else.

I am wondering what happens to the rest in the meantime. These are legitimately scary people. I know some of them personally back home.

QAnon faith is really starting to dwindle. I know the response, "duh!" seems obvious. But as much as they believed, it is kind of important. Major figures in the movement are starting to question it - there was one post by one of its most popular accounts who actually posed the question 'what if there is no Q plan?' and it sent some ripples and near-shockwaves.

My concern isn't the following falling apart, because it will though some form will remain and latch on to something else.

I am wondering what happens to the rest in the meantime. These are legitimately scary people. I know some of them personally back home.

What is scary is their detachment from reality. Once a person willingly decouples from reality, they become available for seeding by whatever the most powerful delusion is. I hope that some of them are able to gain enough perspective to choose to come back to reality for good. But many will not.

Ben Sasse (Nebraska GOP Senator that pokes at Trump) wrote an interesting op-ed in the Atlantic, which among other things, opined on how crap like Qanon takes hold, and he brings up a good point.

"Support Donald Trump and you are not merely participating in a mundane political process—that’s boring. Rather, you are waging war on a global sex-trafficking conspiracy! No one should be surprised that QAnon has found a partner in the empty, hypocritical, made-for-TV deviant strain of evangelicalism that runs on dopey apocalypse-mongering. (I still consider myself an evangelical, even though so many of my nominal co-religionists have emptied the term of all historic and theological meaning.) A conspiracy theory offers its devotees a way of inserting themselves into a cosmic battle pitting good against evil. This sense of vocation that makes it dangerous is also precisely what makes it attractive in our era of isolated, alienated consumerism. "

This "deviant strain or evangelicalism" that Sasse talks about seems to be something that has gone under the radar with most people for a long time, but deserves attention.

Clearly there are a lot of people (maybe most people) who need a well-defined "north star" to give them purpose. Not everyone can just harmlessly float through life with only good intentions, without latching onto something to keep them out of darkness. And that "something" for many is Christianity, which, all things considered, is a pretty good "north star" for how to treat one's fellow man. That "something," for others, has been conspiracy and the extremist politics that result from it.

But there is also this strain of evangelicals, who have also joined the conspiracy party, ignoring the first commandment in favor of hero worship of Trump, and this "Q" fella.
    I don't understand how they reconcile that. Like, is any of this being integrated into the teachings of these churches themselves, or is it just that the followers are just easily duped in general, and following these rabbit holes in their spare time?

Ben Sasse (Nebraska GOP Senator that pokes at Trump) wrote an interesting op-ed in the Atlantic, which among other things, opined on how crap like Qanon takes hold, and he brings up a good point.

"Support Donald Trump and you are not merely participating in a mundane political process—that’s boring. Rather, you are waging war on a global sex-trafficking conspiracy! No one should be surprised that QAnon has found a partner in the empty, hypocritical, made-for-TV deviant strain of evangelicalism that runs on dopey apocalypse-mongering. (I still consider myself an evangelical, even though so many of my nominal co-religionists have emptied the term of all historic and theological meaning.) A conspiracy theory offers its devotees a way of inserting themselves into a cosmic battle pitting good against evil. This sense of vocation that makes it dangerous is also precisely what makes it attractive in our era of isolated, alienated consumerism. "

This "deviant strain or evangelicalism" that Sasse talks about seems to be something that has gone under the radar with most people for a long time, but deserves attention.

Clearly there are a lot of people (maybe most people) who need a well-defined "north star" to give them purpose. Not everyone can just harmlessly float through life with only good intentions, without latching onto something to keep them out of darkness. And that "something" for many is Christianity, which, all things considered, is a pretty good "north star" for how to treat one's fellow man. That "something," for others, has been conspiracy and the extremist politics that result from it.

But there is also this strain of evangelicals, who have also joined the conspiracy party, ignoring the first commandment in favor of hero worship of Trump, and this "Q" fella.
    I don't understand how they reconcile that. Like, is any of this being integrated into the teachings of these churches themselves, or is it just that the followers are just easily duped in general, and following these rabbit holes in their spare time?

Many who consider themselves to be evangelicals have latched onto the GOP primarily due their opposition to abortion. It isn’t a big jump for some of them to embrace the “Save the Children” aspect of the Q mythology. Then it naturally follows the “my team” progression that says “I am anti-abortion, I am a Republican, I support Trump, I believe anything that I view as representing my team.”

Many who consider themselves to be evangelicals have latched onto the GOP primarily due their opposition to abortion. It isn’t a big jump for some of them to embrace the “Save the Children” aspect of the Q mythology. Then it naturally follows the “my team” progression that says “I am anti-abortion, I am a Republican, I support Trump, I believe anything that I view as representing my team.”
    I have absolutely seen this with people I know. I’m thinking specifically of a pastor and his wife who are admitted one-issue voters. Abortion trumps all for them, so they hitched their Republican wagons to Trump. Now, the wife specifically is becoming much more radical on Facebook since the election.

They’re otherwise good people we’ve known for years, but are becoming radicalized to believe that the election was stolen, that conservatives are being silenced, and even starting to make excuses for the insurrection, all because of their unwillingness to compromise on a single issue.

I have absolutely seen this with people I know. I’m thinking specifically of a pastor and his wife who are admitted one-issue voters. Abortion trumps all for them, so they hitched their Republican wagons to Trump. Now, the wife specifically is becoming much more radical on Facebook since the election.

They’re otherwise good people we’ve known for years, but are becoming radicalized to believe that the election was stolen, that conservatives are being silenced, and even starting to make excuses for the insurrection, all because of their unwillingness to compromise on a single issue.

And I totally get why some people are one issue voters on that, and personally think the left should be a little more open-minded on it, seeing as its the only issue where conservatives seem to have any compassion for anyone or anything.
    That rigidity will lead to radicalization as we've seen, but I still can't understand how those who are guided by their faith are also latching onto this cult, when rule #1 of Christianity is literally that you aren't allowed to worship anyone else. Maybe they are just latching onto some of the ideas that the cult is behind without knowing the source?

Absolutely - I was making this point to my wife last night. It is particularly insidious to use human nature's natural desire to protect children to as an entry point for seeding a delusion that radicalizes the person against political opposition, particularly when that opposition is progressive and likely supports more broad-based protection of at-risk children than the viewpoint that the victims are radicalized to support.

This has some merit, to me. After playing Ingress a while, I can see the parallels.

It's really fascinating, as dead-on target.

There is no reality here. No actual solution in the real world. Instead, this is a breadcrumb trail AWAY from reality. Away from actual solutions and towards a dangerous psychological rush.

This has some merit, to me. After playing Ingress a while, I can see the parallels.

It was a problem because three of the pieces made the shape of a perfect arrow pointing right at a blank wall. It was uncanny. It had to be a clue. The investigators stopped and stared at the wall and were determined to figure out what the clue meant and they were not going one step further until they did.

I read that an immediately thought of this scene lol

And I totally get why some people are one issue voters on that, and personally think the left should be a little more open-minded on it, seeing as its the only issue where conservatives seem to have any compassion for anyone or anything.
    That rigidity will lead to radicalization as we've seen, but I still can't understand how those who are guided by their faith are also latching onto this cult, when rule #1 of Christianity is literally that you aren't allowed to worship anyone else. Maybe they are just latching onto some of the ideas that the cult is behind without knowing the source?

isn't pro-choice the more open minded option though?

to me it’s the no abortions no matter what, closing down centers across the country, plus gutting programs that would help a young, poor mother with a newborn that’s the close minded way of thinking

to me it’s the no abortions no matter what, closing down centers across the country, plus gutting programs that would help a young, poor mother with a newborn that’s the close minded way of thinking

Well there's two levels of tolerance here. It's one thing to allow it, it's another to use taxpayer money to perform it. It's an important distinction for those who are dead opposed to it and are then forced to be accomplices to it in their view. And I think it plays a big part in the right's never-ending obsession of dismantling Obamacare.

So I'm saying the left should be more open-minded to leaving such a controversial practice to be funded privately (via insurance obviously) and by non-profits. In fact, Joe Biden took that stance until very recently, but then had to pass the (D) purity test during the primaries.

And I still wonder why they only care about UNBORN life and not the living...

Well there's two levels of tolerance here. It's one thing to allow it, it's another to use taxpayer money to perform it. It's an important distinction for those who are dead opposed to it and are then forced to be accomplices to it in their view. And I think it plays a big part in the right's never-ending obsession of dismantling Obamacare.

So I'm saying the left should be more open-minded to leaving such a controversial practice to be funded privately (via insurance obviously) and by non-profits. In fact, Joe Biden took that stance until very recently, but then had to pass the (D) purity test during the primaries.

Most of the same people don't care if taxpayers pay to TAKE life as punishment.

There aren't two levels to this. It's already this way. It's illegal for federal funds to be used for abortion, except to save the life of the mother or in cases of rape or incest.

There's no both sides here, there's no middle ground. One side wants women to have access to abortions and autonomy over their own bodies, the other side wants to impose their religious values on everyone else.

I'm tired of being told the left needs to work placate the right when the right has absolutely no interest in finding common ground. They want exactly what they want and if they don't get it they'll grind our government and our democracy to a screeching halt. That isn't negotiation, it's an ultimatum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom