Presidential Debate #2? (Update: canceled for now) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    The CPD announced this morning that a "virtual" debate would be preferred for the next squaring off between Trump and Biden, driven by Covid concerns. Trump quickly denounced the idea and said he wouldn't participate. There is a history of this kind of debate - Nixon and Kennedy debated from separate locations in 1960, and Reagan and RFK had a remote/virtual debate in 1967.

Everything is optics with Trump. If he thinks a virtual debate will make him look weak, he's not gonna do it. I think it's gonna hurt more than help if he doesn't participate, but we'll see.

My thought is he's still probably coughing a lot, and doesn't want that to show up in a debate.

That could be true, but you would have to believe his doctor is lying when he says Trump has no symptoms. (sarcastic in case it’s not obvious)

His ranting this morning on Fox Business (he said he probably didn’t need any drugs to fight off the virus, among other crazy things) just shows me he’s still on the steroid. I saw someone on Twitter say they had the same steroid and felt great while on it, but as soon as the steroid left their system, they had trouble breathing again.

His COVID positive campaign manager said they are going to do a bigly superspreader event instead.

I assume Florida is the only state that would even allow a bunch of people who certifiably have the virus to host a large public event.

I thought this line was on point.. (in bold, from me)

But in a phone interview with Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo moments after the format change was announced, Trump said he would not take part.

“I’m not going to do a virtual debate,” he said. “I’m not going to waste my time doing a virtual debate. That’s not what debating is all about. You sit behind a computer and do a debate, it’s ridiculous, and then they cut you off whenever they want.”

On Wednesday, the commission said the Oct. 15 town hall between Trump and Democrat Joe Biden would be held remotely in order to “protect the health and safety of all involved” amid the ongoing pandemic and Trump’s positive COVID-19 diagnosis. The commission said the audience participants and the moderator, C-SPAN’s Steve Scully, would be based in Miami, with Trump and Biden in “separate remote locations.”

Trump’s comments aren’t binding, and he sometimes makes bold public statements while in negotiations, only to compromise afterward.

One pundit made the point that a rally does nothing to expand his appeal to moderates and undecideds. The only people attending a rally are already voting for him. He desperately needs to add to that base.

I‘m beginning to believe another person I heard say that the Trump campaign is just really bad at campaigning. I don’t know if that’s fair to the rest of the people in the campaign. They have a loose cannon who nobody can control for a candidate.

One pundit made the point that a rally does nothing to expand his appeal to moderates and undecideds. The only people attending a rally are already voting for him. He desperately needs to add to that base.

I‘m beginning to believe another person I heard say that the Trump campaign is just really bad at campaigning. I don’t know if that’s fair to the rest of the people in the campaign. They have a loose cannon who nobody can control for a candidate.

Yeah, I tend to think the campaign has their hands essentially tied. Not much they can do on their own.

Well his platform changes every time he opens his mouth.

That’s a tough message to get to surrogates- ya know, like whoever the Republican Jane Fonda is - Jon Voight maybe?

Anyway, he had been given a lifeline here. Town Hall is the worst setup for him. He has to act like a human and that isn’t in his range. This gives him an out, without just taking his ball and going home.

I will say if he does a virtual town hall it will be must see tv. My god he will rant at a screen and just stare into space. I hope the cut him off and he keeps yelling with no sound. That is how I have witnessed most of his “presidency” so I will be used to it. But for others? Wow what an image - red faced loon screaming in silence about Hillary’s emails and why it isn’t fair that he didn’t get to run against her again

What will Mr Trump do if the debate is in person (with proper safety measures) and the CPD insist on the capability of muting mics? I think he will refuse.

A lot seems to be up in the air right. The Biden camp accepted the virtual debate terms for 10/15, but the Trump campaign rejected them and said they were going to hold a rally instead. The Biden camp then suggested moving this town hall style debate to the slot of the last one (10/22). The Trump campaign said they would agree to that, and then to push the final debate to 10/29. The Biden campaign responded that 10/22 would be the final debate, that Trump forfeited the 10/15 debate and they won't agree to any additional ones.

We'll see what happens.

My ballot should arrive sometime next week, and I plan to fill it out and drop it off the day after I receive it. If the next debate is on 10/22 my vote will already be in.

Yeah, I got my ballot like a week ago or so. I already filled most of it out. I was just waiting on some endorsements for some down ballot folks and measures. I like to use those as spring boards. I also ask my wife what judges or lawyers she knows that would be good district judges... politics be damned.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom