Presidential Debate #2? (Update: canceled for now) (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
    Reaction score
    The CPD announced this morning that a "virtual" debate would be preferred for the next squaring off between Trump and Biden, driven by Covid concerns. Trump quickly denounced the idea and said he wouldn't participate. There is a history of this kind of debate - Nixon and Kennedy debated from separate locations in 1960, and Reagan and RFK had a remote/virtual debate in 1967.

So the woman nodding behind Trump during the town hall is a pro-Trump activist who ran for Congress. Now we know, for whatever it's worth.

NBC did a horrible job with this. First, they shouldn’t give Trump free air time after he backed out and don’t force voters to choose which to watch. Second, don’t call it a town hall and then do a 20min interviewer question session. Third, Savanna came off as combative from the intro and interrupted too often which makes it easier to justify Trump’s demeanor. Lastly, positioning Trump supporters behind him to nod with him the entire time is just bad planning. Campaigns do that, media shouldn’t.

NBC did a horrible job with this. First, they shouldn’t give Trump free air time after he backed out and don’t force voters to choose which to watch. Second, don’t call it a town hall and then do a 20min interviewer question session. Third, Savanna came off as combative from the intro and interrupted too often which makes it easier to justify Trump’s demeanor. Lastly, positioning Trump supporters behind him to nod with him the entire time is just bad planning. Campaigns do that, media shouldn’t.

The whole thing is is just so far out of the realm of normal. And it wouldn't surprise me if the campaign had stipulations and conditions tied to them agreeing to this.

After the initial interview, I felt like Savannah only interrupted because he was evading their questions. She was pushing back or trying to get him to be specific. That's how I took it, but I did stop watching about half way.

According to Nielsen numbers releasedFriday, the Biden event was watched by 13.9 million viewers on ABC, easily besting Trump’s NBC spectacle, which drew just 10.9 million viewers. The Trump event’s total viewership was dwarfed by Biden’s even though Trump’s was simulcast on CNBC and MSNBC: as CNN noted, the three networks combined for roughly 13 million viewers, a total that still lagged behind the Biden event.

Expect angry tweeting.

I agree that NBC shouldn’t have simulcasted the town halls, but I totally disagree about Guthrie. She was fantastic. She corrected his lies and challenged him to get answers. Sure the first 20 minutes weren’t a town Hall style, but it was informative, which is what we should all want.

Although the New York Post is only a fraction of a step up above the National Enquirer, that information on her background is pretty damning. I'm not saying you should put Lou Dobbs up there as moderator but I'm sure there are journalists out there who -- while they might not be particularly well known -- have been relatively apolitical. Or maybe just forego using journalists as moderators. A university professor or retired judge or similar vocation would probably do a better job.

I dunno. The commission has been using news journalists for debate moderators for years. Sometimes the become the news themselves, but I don't really have a huge problem with it. I think the format has more to do with how it comes across as much as the individual moderator.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom