Over 93% of BLM demonstrations are non-violent (4 Viewers)

DaveXA

Reaction score
I don't know how many times we have to have the connotation vs. denotation discussion in this forum.

Calling a woman a "female" often has a negative connotation except when a scientific discussion related to sex, as it subtly reduces her value to her literal sex.

I expect Farb to go apeshit about this.

I honestly never knew calling a woman a female was a negative connotation. Where did that come from? How does it reduce her value?

I've never really thought about it or discussed it with someone, so I'm a little stumped. I mean, I'm a male, so maybe I'm missing something.

superchuck500

U.S. Blues
Reaction score
Just FTR, non-profits can own vehicles and provide them to their execs. The exec just has to keep mileage logs and report all personal mileage to the IRS (which is then taxed as income at the IRS mileage rate). And 501(c)(3) executive pay can be high if its reasonable in the context of the organization's overall receipts and value received from the executive.

brandon

Reaction score
I honestly never knew calling a woman a female was a negative connotation. Where did that come from? How does it reduce her value?

I've never really thought about it or discussed it with someone, so I'm a little stumped. I mean, I'm a male, so maybe I'm missing something.
Context matters in this discussion, but as a general rule, if the conversation has to do with sex and/or gender, male/female is appropriate.

The words male/female discuss biological and physiological traits that define humans sexually. They are primarily words associated with sex and reproduction.

When talking about women in just about any other context, “female” is a reductive term for people who are much more than their sex organs. Typically, the context surrounding calling a woman a “female” when not related to a biological discussion carries sexist undertones and is almost never depicting the woman in a positive light.

In the case of @Farb’s discussion of “crimes against females,” it’s actually much worse.

There’s a dehumanizing undertone, presumably because the victims are black, and therefore subconsciously he likely doesn’t view them as women at all, but as sub-human “females.” You’ll note that animals can also be “females,” but they can’t be “women.”

Last edited:

DaveXA

Reaction score
Context matters in this discussion, but as a general rule, if the conversation has to do with sex and/or gender, male/female is appropriate.

The words male/female discuss biological and physiological traits that define humans sexually. They are primarily words associated with sex and reproduction.

When talking about women in just about any other context, “female” is a reductive term for people who are much more than their sex organs. Typically, the context surrounding calling a woman a “female” when not related to a biological discussion carries sexist undertones and is almost never depicting the woman in a positive light.

In the case of @Farb’s discussion of “crimes against females,” it’s actually much worse.

There’s a dehumanizing undertone, presumably because the victims are black, and therefore subconsciously he likely doesn’t view them as women at all, but as sub-human “females.” You’ll note that animals can also be “females,” but they can’t be “women.”

Interesting. Hadn't really thought of it like that. Ordinarily I'd say "crimes against women" regardless of race, and if I would have said female, I thought it would have the same meaning. I was just having a hard time understanding what was derogatory about female. But I think I understand what you're getting at. But I hadn't ever been told it was an offensive term in some contexts.

As with a lot of things though, I do think intent matters. I'm not sure a lot of people are even aware of the distinction. I mean, if I hadn't been in this discussion, I might not ever know it.

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Reaction score
It
Interesting. Hadn't really thought of it like that. Ordinarily I'd say "crimes against women" regardless of race, and if I would have said female, I thought it would have the same meaning. I was just having a hard time understanding what was derogatory about female. But I think I understand what you're getting at. But I hadn't ever been told it was an offensive term in some contexts.

As with a lot of things though, I do think intent matters. I'm not sure a lot of people are even aware of the distinction. I mean, if I hadn't been in this discussion, I might not ever know it.
is not offensive to anyone. And to say it is just stupid. It is another attempt to change the conversation by changing meaning and intent of words.

brandon

Reaction score
It

is not offensive to anyone. And to say it is just stupid. It is another attempt to change the conversation by changing meaning and intent of words.
The meaning of intent and words is almost always the conversation in these racism threads.

cuddlemonkey

Well-known monkey
Reaction score
It

If someone were to come to you and say that they find it offensive, would you still think it's stupid to say it's offensive?

CoolBrees

Reaction score
What’s it like having such hubris to believe you know how everyone in the world thinks and feels?

Or better yet, what’s it like to be so delusional that you think you know better?

coldseat

Reaction score
This conversations make me think of Quark and the Ferengi from Deep Space 9. They always drew it out, "The Feee-male" and it was definitely always derogatory and reductive.

cuddlemonkey

Well-known monkey
Reaction score
Do you find the word 'female' offensive?

I asked you a question to clarify your position. Anything I say is irrelevant as it would be coming from a place of not understanding your point. Can you please answer my question in order to help me understand?

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Reaction score
I asked you a question to clarify your position. Anything I say is irrelevant as it would be coming from a place of not understanding your point. Can you please answer my question in order to help me understand?
This was fun.
No one has ever come up to me and said anything like that and I have never heard the word 'female' was offensive so I don't know what I would say, I have a feeling my facial expressions would give away my thoughts. But to answer your question, I would think it is stupid. I don't know why it would be offensive.
Maybe you can help me understand why the word is offensive and do you find it personally offensive?

Last edited:

brandon

Reaction score
This was fun.
No one has ever come up to me and said anything like that and I have never heard the word 'female' was offensive so I don't know what I would say, I have a feeling my facial expressions would give away my thoughts. But to answer your question, I would think it is stupid. I don't know why it would be offensive.
Maybe you can help me understand why the word is offensive and do you find it personally offensive?
Already answered.

cuddlemonkey

Well-known monkey
Reaction score
This was fun.

Brandon already made a nice post on the topic of female vs woman. If you have him on ignore and didn't see it, I would be happy to repost it for you (with his permission).

As for the bolded, why do you need to know why it's offensive? If someone says, "Hey, I find that offensive, could you please not do it", shouldn't the default position be to honor that request?

Farb

Mostly Peaceful Poster
Reaction score
Brandon already made a nice post on the topic of female vs woman. If you have him on ignore and didn't see it, I would be happy to repost it for you (with his permission).

As for the bolded, why do you need to know why it's offensive? If someone says, "Hey, I find that offensive, could you please not do it", shouldn't the default position be to honor that request?
Why is it on me to alter my speech just because someone is so ill adjusted to survive in the real world especially as something so stupid as taking offense to the words 'female' and 'male' that was up until 5 mins ago was a completely benign word?

No need to repost whoever's post, they are ignore for a reason.

brandon

Reaction score
Why is it on me to alter my speech just because someone is so ill adjusted to survive in the real world especially as something so stupid as taking offense to the words 'female' and 'male' that was up until 5 mins ago was a completely benign word?

No need to repost whoever's post, they are ignore for a reason.
Anyone can feel free to use any of my posts, past, present, and future, and present them as their own, when answering @Farb.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Top Bottom