Now is not the time to talk about gun control (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

I still can't process someone shooting a group of 9 and 10-year-old children. I can't imagine someone being that far afield. It just doesn't compute. smh

"As McConaughey left the briefing room, however, Newsmax reporter James Rosen asked “Were you grandstanding just now, sir?” Newsmax is a right-wing cable news channel and website known for its close support of former president Donald Trump, and it’s consistent with their track record that its journalists would resist any so-called politicization of a mass shooting tragedy."
    Imagine a 'reporter' for a network dedicated to shilling for Trump asking someone if they were grandstanding.

This statistic is really sick. Imagine being so brainwashed by right wing gun culture that you think these routine mass shootings are acceptable. Conservatives/Republicans are literally killing us.

We have to start plastering traditional media and social media with pictures of the carnage of these mass shootings. Bodies and all, with the message of "You/your loved one will be next." I honestly doubt that would even work, because how do you get through to somebody so cynical that thinks this is acceptable. But it's time to try everything.

A new CBS/YouGov poll, for instance, shows that 44% of Republicans think that mass shootings are something the country should accept as part of a free society. That sizable but powerful minority of the GOP voter bloc is inevitably magnified in the primaries that are some of the toughest elections GOP members face. Senate filibuster rules that require a super-majority of 60 votes to pass major legislation make it simple for GOP senators to respond to such sentiment by blocking reform.

This dynamic also explains why the 72% of Americans who support raising the legal age to buy a gun to 21 in a Reuters/Ipsos poll last month do not represent a critical mass sufficient to overcome GOP opposition.

This statistic is really sick. Imagine being so brainwashed by right wing gun culture that you think these routine mass shootings are acceptable. Conservatives/Republicans are literally killing us.

We have to start plastering traditional media and social media with pictures of the carnage of these mass shootings. Bodies and all, with the message of "You/your loved one will be next." I honestly doubt that would even work, because how do you get through to somebody so cynical that thinks this is acceptable. But it's time to try everything.

Republicans tend to lack empathy. They only seem to recognize a problem when it impacts them directly. The more killings that occur, the more Republicans that will be more directly affected. Sadly that’s the density of thought that we have to deal with.

Hopefully this is just a lot of internet tough guy talk and nothing comes of it
    ===================================================

The far-right American Firearms Association is telling its supporters to prepare for “battle” at the U.S. Capitol this week amid Senate talks on potential legislation for relatively small gun safety reforms.

“They’re coming after us right now,” warns the subject line of a Monday fundraising email, signed by AFA president Christopher Dorr.

“Our federal legislative team believes that because of the enormity of the battle this week in DC, there will be thousands or even tens of thousands of Bloomberg-funded, red shirt radical, commie mommies all over the Capitol complex,” reads the email, apparently referring to the gun safety group, Moms Demand Action.

“This is their Super Bowl,” it continues. “You and I should be looking at this battle in exactly the same way.”..........

Last edited:
    Our dystopian reality where everything is solved with easy access to guns. 2 lives ruined and one ended.

(CNN)A 10-year-old girl was arrested Tuesday after authorities say she fatally shot a woman who was arguing with her mother, according to the Orlando Police Department.
    The child was placed in the custody of the Florida Department of Children and Families, according to police.

In a statement following the shooting, State Attorney for Orange and Osceola Counties Monique H. Worrell said her office has began reviewing the case and will "consider all of the facts, including the age of the child, and all of the surrounding circumstances, when making a charging decision."

"We want to be clear in stating that no charging decision has been made by our office," the state attorney's statement said, adding the incident was "one of the most tragic cases I have seen in my 22-year career."

The child's mother is also in custody, according to Orlando police.

Yes democrats want to disarm the youth so they'll be helpless during the purge
    ===================================================

Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL) suggested on Thursday that Democrats may be planning "false flag" violence following the midterm elections.

During an interview with conservative broadcaster Steve Bannon on Real America's Voice, Gaetz outlined a conspiracy theory about the midterm elections.

"That is what is happening in the lead-up to these midterms," he said. "You see all these stories now the mainstream media is starting to leak. And these threat assessments coming from the FBI that there could be midterm violence."

Gaetz defended the right of "young adults" to purchase assault-style rifles like the AR-15 that was used in a recent school shooting in Uvalde, Texas. Some pro-gun lawmakers have suggested that the minimum age for purchasing assault-style rifles should be raised from 18 to 21.

"Well, that violence is coming from their side and they're purposefully trying to disarm us by passing red flag laws and by assuring young adults cannot access various types of firearms because they want us to be in the most vulnerable position when they create these false flag acts of violence and then the counter-violence that could come against our people," he insisted........

A step in the right direction... more is needed IMHO.

I suppose so, except...

A Republican aide involved in the negotiations stressed that the agreement is on principles -- not details, which will be critical for Republicans, particularly the firearms-related provisions. One or more of these provisions could be dropped, the aide said

Yes, more is needed. I'm not going to get into it but I will say this, they're talking about everything but the guns themselves. That won't work.

Honestly, I think the Democrats are getting played...again. Gun control is a strong issue for them in the mid-terms. This deal would effectively take it off the table. I think the Democrats could have obtained greater concessions if they just stuck to their "guns."

It's amazing how Congress can get something done in about a week when there isn't a bunch of bullshirt posturing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom