Next Speaker of the House? (1 Viewer)

Users who are viewing this thread

MT15

Reaction score
    There’s a lot of doubt that Kevin McCarthy will be able to get enough votes to become Speaker. It certainly won’t happen on the first ballot. Already Boboert and MTG are publicly at odds over it.

Maybe this is worth it’s own thread to watch. One person mentioned is Scalise.

I do think progressives should have extracted more concessions back in 2020, but what the does a vote on M4A do? It's still never passing the senate. They should have made it clear they had some major redlines, and were going to use there power. It would have put even more pressure on Manchin, and Sinema. Myabe the CTC survives in that scenario.

Also, what major criticizing do you see from Democrats? They are laughing. What we just witnessed was a gulf of competency between Kevin, and Nancy. These negotiations should/could have been done behind closed doors. It was literally historic in it's buffoonery. You somehow walked away from that with a critique for Democrats?

Come on SFL.........
    I agree it was a shirt show and they should have been better organized, but at least they got some concessions.

SFL - you’re a trip. You don’t make a lick of sense. You are criticizing AOC for not doing the same thing that Rs did - which you called a shirt show?

The same people you admire in the R party - the extreme MAGAS - are about to kick Omar off of her committees for “anti-semitism” while awarding the R anti-semites (MTG, Gosar, etc) with plum new committee assignments.

But they deserve praise? Lol

comic 1.jpg

And folks like you blame "the other side" for all the governments ills.

I bet you TIVOed The Apprentice too.
    What was the 'bad thing' that happened here exactly? What made this a 'ill'?

Of course, you do!!! You and people of your ilk elected these unqualified individuals to be your leaders and they are representing you very well. They exhibit none of the professionalism or intellect that should be required of an elected statesman that was selected to lead and govern in a responsible manner. Bravo. No worries though, the adults will be around to pick up the pieces and put it all back together once you all are finished tearing it all down within the next 10 months.
    Thank you! They are actually doing exactly and I mean exactly what I want all my elected idiots to do.
    What is your fear about this positioning for power/concessions? What do you think it might do? What is the disaster that is awaiting us if they didn't elect the establishment speaker?
    Do you oppose term limits?
    Do you think omnibus spending bills are a good thing for us citizens?
    Do you think the speaker needs a lot of protections to hold on to the seat of power?

SFL - you’re a trip. You don’t make a lick of sense. You are criticizing AOC for not doing the same thing that Rs did - which you called a shirt show?

The same people you admire in the R party - the extreme MAGAS - are about to kick Omar off of her committees for “anti-semitism” while awarding the R anti-semites (MTG, Gosar, etc) with plum new committee assignments.

But they deserve praise? Lol
    I know you love a good strawman, but I don't love any MAGAs and I've never claimed I did. I posted those three things to show that even some on the left are asking why the progressives haven't done the same. One example was when they could have forced a vote for Medicare for all, but AOC claimed they couldn't which wasn't true.

I don't think it's a good idea to kick congressman or women off of their committees, but there were other norms as well that the Democrats broke during the Trump administration & now you guys have to deal with the consequences.

Impeachment at the drop of the hat. Get ready that's coming thanks to the Democrats doing it. It's similar to when Harry Reid broke the filibuster for judicial nominees and then the Democrats had to deal with the consequences of the Republicans expanding on that.

Of course, you do!!! You and people of your ilk elected these unqualified individuals to be your leaders and they are representing you very well. They exhibit none of the professionalism or intellect that should be required of an elected statesman that was selected to lead and govern in a responsible manner. Bravo. No worries though, the adults will be around to pick up the pieces and put it all back together once you all are finished tearing it all down within the next 10 months.
    Would you rather that the congressmen always fall in line with the leadership and never push for anything that the leadership doesn't want?

Would you rather that the congressmen always fall in line with the leadership and never push for anything that the leadership doesn't want?
    Do you think the speaker needs a lot of protections to hold on to the seat of power?

The current reality that a single member of the House can now grind the House to a halt to hold a vote of no confidence is not in the best interest of good governance.

It's why we require a two-thirds majority to override a veto, or two-thirds of both houses to amend the Constitution, or requiring two-thirds to call a Constitutional Convention. Or even just requiring majorities to do things (Supreme Court rulings, etc).

There's always one idiot who will throw a wrench into the works if given the chance (and the House has way more than one right now). It's why we have majority rule in a democracy. Could you imagine if just one House member could amend the Constitution? Absolute anarchy. Counter to anything the founders would have wanted.

And it's not just that they can start a vote on changing the speakership - it's that they can literally stop all other legislative work while they vote on the speakership. And as soon as the vote is held, they can call for another vote. Meaning a single party extremist can completely break government. That's not a good thing.

Well, I guess we will find out how the extremists will run the House. I don’t think they will accomplish a damn thing that will help normal people in this country. I don’t know how anyone with a lick of common sense thinks that the likes of Gaetz, MTG, Gosar, etc. are good congresspeople. They’re anti-elections, unless they win. They cheered Trump when he actually did what they will falsely accuse Biden of doing (weaponize the federal gov.). They don’t mind lying about election fraud, openly and brazenly.

You could make an argument that they want to tear down America, and turn it into a Christian fascist state. They’ve made intimations about that.

So, the idea that because our government doesn’t work very well it couldn’t get worse just couldn’t be more foolish and wrong. These extremists are idiots. Malignant idiots.

I know you love a good strawman, but I don't love any MAGAs and I've never claimed I did. I posted those three things to show that even some on the left are asking why the progressives haven't done the same. One example was when they could have forced a vote for Medicare for all, but AOC claimed they couldn't which wasn't true.

I don't think it's a good idea to kick congressman or women off of their committees, but there were other norms as well that the Democrats broke during the Trump administration & now you guys have to deal with the consequences.

Impeachment at the drop of the hat. Get ready that's coming thanks to the Democrats doing it. It's similar to when Harry Reid broke the filibuster for judicial nominees and then the Democrats had to deal with the consequences of the Republicans expanding on that.
    No straw man, I didn’t say you loved MAGAs, just observing that you don’t criticize them ever.

So you’re attempting to say that Trump didn’t deserve to be impeached? Even the second time? It seems like you are saying that.

I will agree that the first impeachment was botched. They should have impeached him for obstructing justice too as well as attempting to use government funds for a political advantage. We even know now how much worse he got after Rs in the Senate refused to hold him accountable for what he did.

By the end he was actively plotting to stay in power even though he knew he lost the election. He tried to get the DOJ to say the election was stolen even though he and they knew it wasn’t. He considered declaring martial law. And he’s still the leader of the party, that’s how broken the GOP is. They’re actively hurting this country.

Reid broke the filibuster for federal judges, but not SCOTUS, that’s on McConnell. We have the worst SCOTUS in memory for exactly that reason, along with Rs refusing to grant a hearing to Garland for most of a year, and cramming through Barrett during actual early voting. That was morally corrupt, IMO.

It seems really odd that you seem to be cheering on the Rs transparent attempts to exact “revenge”, (their own word) even without any good reasons to do so. Shouldn’t you be calling for the partisan crap to stop from both sides? I mean theoretically, if you didn’t hate democrats and like republicans? Why don’t Rs be the bigger people and try to govern in a bipartisan way? The Senate is trying to do so. Even the House under Pelosi had several big bipartisan bills. Yet, you seem to be absolving Rs in the House for their ratcheting up the partisanship. 🤷‍♀️

McCarthy has been repeating outright lies about Swalwell now for several days. And death threats are ratcheting up to the Congressman, his wife and children. McCarthy won’t actually say what Swalwell has done, but he has intimated that he has privileged information that paints him as a traitor.

He has no such information, it’s a damned lie. He knows it, he doesn’t care because he wants revenge against democrats. How did we end up with so many mentally ill people in positions of power? It’s not moral or normal to lie about a person, and smear their character knowing they did nothing wrong. And knowing that crazy people will be motivated to threaten said person, their wife and small children.

Per Kinzinger, McCarthy is a Peice of work. That’s a direct quote from a former colleague. He says, and this seems to be absolutely true, that McCarthy will do and say anything to get to be Speaker and stay there. He won’t care who gets hurt or if it hurts the country. That’s pathological.

I'm expecting McCarthy to use the threat of default to pass the "Commitment to America" that so many people voted for.

Screenshot_20221018-183812.png

I'm expecting McCarthy to use the threat of default to pass the "Commitment to America" that so many people voted for.

Screenshot_20221018-183812.png
    Once again, the cruelty is the point. Also, f you for living past 90. They did their darnedest to kill you with Covid so just die already Grampa!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Advertisement

General News Feed

Fact Checkers News Feed

Sponsored

Back
    Top Bottom